PDA

View Full Version : upgrading skimmer; input please...

Sushiman
04-14-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm trying to decide on an appropriate skimmer for my 100gal FOWLR. So let's put it out there: what would you use on a heavily stocked FO of this size?? I want a real work horse but it's been such a long time since I've been in the skimmer market that any input would be great.

Ruth
04-14-2006, 08:30 PM
I have never tried using a beckett style skimmer so cannot comment on those. If you are prepared to spend the $ and want the best then highly recommend a Bubble King although I believe that Deltec or H&S are close as well. I have tried out a couple of the ASM skimmers (G-3 and G-4X) and they are pretty good. I have seen the Euroreefs in action and they are not bad either.

Tom R
04-14-2006, 10:06 PM
For the money you can not beat an ASM. Check them out at asmskimmer.com. You can see them in action at OA.

Tom R

Sushiman
04-15-2006, 02:41 AM
can the asm be externaly plumbed?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-15-2006, 02:54 AM
I just got my ASM G3 & love it. I don't think you can have it plumbed externally though. It is in-sump.

Anthony

Sushiman
04-15-2006, 04:09 AM
No good, I've made my sump one big fuge & like to keep it that way.

Ruth
04-15-2006, 12:35 PM
You might want to look at the Deltec HOB. There is a review in the library under skimmers.

Sushiman
04-16-2006, 10:25 AM
I was thinking about that, but I think the Bullet 2 might work better for my set up...

Skimmerking
04-17-2006, 02:31 AM
euroreef or deltec are the way to go DEltec for a hang on too

Sushiman
04-17-2006, 05:09 AM
euroreef or deltec are the way to go DEltec for a hang on too
So you're saying the Deltec H.O.T. out preforms a PM Bullet 2???
I love the Euroreef but my need for an external skimmer kai-boshes them unless I modify the hell out of it.

Sushiman
04-17-2006, 08:55 AM
I took a better look at the Deltec APF600, now the J&L Aquatics website calls them an "in-sump" skimmer but according to the Deltec website, you cab set them up externally...
Now Euroreef's RC series can also be set up outside the sump so I guess I'm comparing between the RC135 from Euroreef & the APF600. On first glance the design seems pretty much the same. I've heard such good things about both products but never owned on myself. Hmmm; more reading is in order I guess.

Ruth
04-17-2006, 01:10 PM
From J&L's website:
Its new design gives it the flexibility to hang on almost any brand of aquarium or for it to be used inside or hanging on the outside of a sump.
It's either/or. I have one that I hang on my 44g.

Sushiman
04-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Yes that's true, but I'm not talking about the H.O.T. model...

Ruth
04-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Sorry - don't know quite how I managed to get those letters so big - computor dummy here. Isn't it the 500 model that is not HOB?

Sushiman
04-19-2006, 04:14 AM
Not to worry; I had to double check myself; the external Deltec (rated for 200gal) has a similar product code to the hang on back model, that's all. The one you're talking about looks real nice, I've read good things about it, but it's going to be undersized for my system both now, & when I upsize down the line.

Sushiman
05-12-2006, 01:23 AM
http://www.myreefcreations.com/index.html
Anyone using a MyReef skimmer? The MR-2 looks rather good & our Canadian dollar is at a high. Dual becketts, quick release, ozone safe, add on risers & great reviews on all MR products. Compared to the PM Bullet 2.

TheReefGeek
05-12-2006, 02:22 AM
Which model you of MR are you looking at? And try to find a gallon rating from someplace other than the manufacturer.

Skimmerking
05-12-2006, 02:39 AM
IMO I have tried many different Beckett's ,ya they are good ,but over rated. your constantly having to tweak them clean the coolection cup dump this clean the beckett. make sure the thing doesnt over flow. To much tweaking and to get a good skimate you have to run wet ,thne its not a good . ANd you need a huge pressure rated pump to blast it.

But Since I have gotten my Euro reef CS 250:mrgreen: MAn All I can say is WOW the crap that its pulling out of my tank. its quiet. Low watts to run even with the dual SP 3 pumps.
And with it running dry its really pulling crap out the thing I have to do is clean the cup every once in while with the Beckett you had to keep it cleanall the time after awhile it would slow down on the preformance if it wasnt cleaned.

THe Euro reef run great even when its dirty. Enough said on that.

So Ya Bullets IMO Crap, Some people swear by Beckett skimmers My self I rather have a strong name to settle on. Euro reef , Deltec, Bubble king, YA YA YA I know I like the expensive ones...

TheReefGeek
05-12-2006, 02:15 PM
My ASM runs just as well dirty as clean too. I empty the collection cup once a week, and clean it every 2 weeks.

ASM is similar to Euroreef, but cheaper plastic so they are less expensive.