PDA

View Full Version : Brown jelly on SPS?

Delphinus
04-14-2006, 06:04 PM
I thought brown jelly was more something that happened to "LPS" corals such as Euphyllia.

Can it be on SPS as well? Or if you see it, could it just be an RTN incident perhaps.

Tangman
04-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Got a pic? doesn't sound like RTN to me

Delphinus
04-14-2006, 06:24 PM
I snapped a pic. It's more clear in the picture than it is in person, but yeah, it's just RTN I guess. I can say bye-bye to another Bali piece. I'm not sure what's up. Params are more or less OK, but I seem to lose Bali colonies at least once per month or two. :cry:

http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/aquaria/sps/RTN.jpg

Tangman
04-14-2006, 06:32 PM
After seeing the pic. ,I'd have to agree 'RTN' it looks kind of bleached ,sorry to see that, Is that still polyp extension on the right side? got a lot of bubble algae too..eh?

Delphinus
04-14-2006, 11:38 PM
Yeah, that's valonia. Probably one of the worst infestations of it I've ever seen. :( There are a number of emeralds in there but they either don't go after it, or it's growing back faster than it's eaten down.

This tank in particular is just causing me a lot of stress and I think I'm just going to tear it down and convert it into FW. Just too much going wrong in there to try to salvage it at this point.

Ruth
04-15-2006, 12:35 AM
I wonder why some tanks just seem to be so challenging despite the best of husbandry? If I have one it is probably my 24g JBJ Nano - it has been one thing after the other. I think I have it on track for now but who knows when it is going to head south again.

Chin_Lee
04-15-2006, 03:45 AM
tony
frag the piece with polyp extension and throw away the rest. its your only hope of salvaging anything.

sumpfinfishe
04-15-2006, 05:43 AM
Tony,
Have you checked your SPS for acro eating flatworms, I have seen them come in on some of the Bali plugs. There brown in color and jelly like, and they can destroy an SPS frag in no time by eating tissue and also triggering RTN.

Good luck and get some chaeto in the sump to starve out all that bubble!

Delphinus
04-15-2006, 05:50 AM
I grow chaeto like there's no tomorrow... :( Maybe I need a bigger vessel for it though, the aquaclear 300 is overwhelmed easily.

I'll check into the flatworms. How's a good way to see 'em? Dip in FW maybe? I have a challenge with this piece since there's an acro crab in there (hoping he'll hop off on his own). (I'll do some reading on it in the meantime.)

sumpfinfishe
04-15-2006, 06:19 AM
Tony, the best way to look for these flatworms is pull the piece outta the tank and use a toothpick to scrap them off, they blend in really well with the rock but the skin should be shinny. Usually found at the corals base where it's starting to encrust onto the rock surface, or in the RTN areas where it's starting to eat the base.

Funky_Fish14
04-15-2006, 07:28 AM
Sorry to see the colony go south!

About the crab, to save/keep him, pick up the colony, put it beside another empty one, and chase him around with a toothpick. They tend to jump out fairly quick into the new colony if there is another one almost touching it. I have one that lived in two colonies that were 3/4" apart and he was only half an inch long, and I watched him jump across alot of times with no worries, he took his time.

Chris

Ruth
04-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Tony there is a product by Tropic Marin called Pro Coral Cure that is supposed to be very effective at removing these as they are very difficult to get rid of. I have ordered some and hope it is here next week.
http://www.saltycritter.com/medication.htm