PDA

View Full Version : bye bye moonlights, @#$@#%!!!!!

prosnow
04-14-2006, 05:05 AM
well this sucks, built my new canopy tonight...@#$ i'm an idiot, everything went perfect, just had it plugged in and was cruising canreef and i smelt something a little funny... look back @ my tank and my canopy is smoking!!!!!!!!!! @#$#@ lets just say i mounted my moonlights to close to my MH, melted them both right up :( guess thats what i get for being an idiot

Samw
04-14-2006, 05:35 AM
That sucks. You'd think that they could make them with heat resistant plastic. What brand was it? Thanks.

prosnow
04-14-2006, 06:09 AM
coralife...

Tom R
04-14-2006, 02:38 PM
As one idiot to another, Thanks for the warning.

Tom R

BMW Rider
04-14-2006, 05:03 PM
I got some cheap LED strips at Princess Auto. The are completly sealed and waterproof 12v ones for automotive use. I zip tied them directly onto the eggcrate covers on my tank. My first set of moonlights burt out early from the heat from my MHs too. I had them mounted on the bottom edge of my light hood.

Samw
04-14-2006, 06:20 PM
I was going to add some power compact endcaps to my MH fixture but now I'm worried. I guess I have to look really hard for some ceramic ones.

seashells
04-14-2006, 11:50 PM
That's too bad. You're not an idiot, just inexperienced! No matter how many good reefers there are, they always are learning something new in this fascinating money pit of a hobby. Just try again. This time don't try and burn down the house.

Doug

prosnow
04-15-2006, 03:18 PM
lol, ya, well i was playing with the moonlights last night, and it seems there not totally @$#$%^ the plastic around the actually led is just melted really but the led still actually works, maybe i will mount them on the edge of my canopy this time.