PDA

View Full Version : I have a subject for one of our Fall meetings.

Bob I
04-21-2002, 11:53 PM
I just got back from Tony's place where I got my board to put my new tank on (I ended that sentence with a preposition I know) Thanks again Tony. Now to the subject; I propose we all go to Tony's place to learn how to frag things. My mouth watered at the sight of Purple Tipped Acropora, and other things just crying to be fragged. If you have a digital camera Tony I would love to have a photograph of those giant anemones to post on Aquaria central. On that board people are always warned not to keep anemones because of the fear they get sucked into powerheads. I would like to see the powerhead that could handle those suckers. :D :D

Canadian Man
04-22-2002, 12:28 AM
Ahhhh the infamous purple tipped coral that tony was supposed to frag for me to give me a piece to be traded in the future for my purple monti. Remember? Hint....Hint....Nudge....Nudge....

Delphinus
04-22-2002, 01:50 AM
I haven't forgotten! And I still want one of those purple monti's, it's just that the home I was hoping for it is STILL not ready ...

I've got Kim waiting on me too for one of those BTA's (sorry Kim ... I guess last weekend came and went and ... oh shoot! This weekend has come and gone, too. :( ) I haven't forgotten that either, I just haven't had a chance to get into the 50 and try to wrestle one of the BTA's out yet..

I've been trying to direct my spare time to finishing off my 75g tank. Bob can now testify to the large-scale disaster I have in my basement ... it looks like a hurricane passed through there with PVC and other plumbing bits coming out the wazoo, and scattered across the entire basement.

Tonight I tried firing my two Iwasaki's together for the first time. It was a mistake to wait this long to try BOTH Iwasaki's (these are from my infamous HelloLights.com purchase). I only ever tried one when they first came, and it fired OK. However, it now not only seems as if the other bulb does not fire at all, but ALSO that my second 250W ballast doesn't fire! (One bulb turns on when on one ballast, and neither bulb fires on the other ... and the good bulb that works on the one WON'T work on the other...) :mad: I'm really confused about the ballast, it WAS working a month ago when I tried it ... so why not now?

... sigh ... And another weekend bites the dust.

Delphinus
04-22-2002, 01:59 AM
BTW, thanks for the kind words, Bob. I wish my tanks looked a little less ... well I don't know how to put it. Overstocked maybe? They're definitely an example of how things can look if you let things get out of hand. They used to be a lot tidier (um ... "tidyer"? Hmmm. Neither spelling looks correct!)

I don't have a digital camera. I do have a scanner though. I once took a photograph of the ritteri anemone and posted it on ReefCentral, here is a link to the thread:

ReefCentral Thread: "Post pics of your anemone here" (http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59507)

(I'm not sure if it's kosher to add an image cross-linked to another discussion board. I don't have my own webpage yet ... also on my to-do list... :rolleyes: )

AJ_77
04-22-2002, 02:20 AM
Tony, no web page? DELPH, tell me it ain't so!

Well, OK, I'll tell ya then. You got a web page, my friend.

http://www.itpro1.com/reef/delphinus.htm

Anyone else need one?

AJ ;)

Canadian Man
04-22-2002, 02:55 AM
Well that's for a lack of a better word, COOL!!!
Alan you are awsome.
Tony i know about time. Never enough for our tanks. Everyone always wants you to do other things.Ahhhhhhhhh!

Delphinus
04-22-2002, 11:15 AM
http://jabot2000.homestead.com/files/emoticons/jawdrop.gif

I'm stunned... uh, THANKS! :D

(Uhoh though ... Now I have no excuse not to get started! Oh well, time to dig out the camera! :D )

PS. more on the ballasts/bulbs in the main forum thread...

AJ_77
04-22-2002, 11:38 AM
Tony - no worries. Happy to help out - did this web stuff for a living once upon a time, if you can believe it. :rolleyes:

I have a 2mp digital camera, but haven't tested it for tank shots and whatnot. Just that sterling photo of Jon you saw earlier. ;)

I want a Calgary Reef Club section on my website (the "reef" directory that your page is in) and make it available to any of us that needs the space. The main page would have links to members' pages, etc.

Yours is the first! Cheers, mate!

Alan :D

Bob I
04-22-2002, 05:18 PM
Jon I looked at your website again, and I am wondering about something. Is the tank photo at 640x480 resolution? It appears to be somewhat out of focus just like mine when I shoot at that resolution. And although I really hate to reappear in my "Grammar Police" guise. It is FLUORESCENT, not flourescent, and it is CONSTANT, not consant. Oh Oh, I am sooo bad. :D :D
Tony the test you did is the same I always use. If a bulb fires on one ballast and not on the other, it is usually ballast problems.
Alan that little webpage you did makes mine look awfully amateurish. But then I code from scratch,(HTML one) and I seem to refuse to learn more.
BTW folks the tank is here (ready when Mitch said it would be). smile.gif

[ 22 April 2002, 13:19: Message edited by: Bob Ipema ]

Canadian Man
04-22-2002, 07:39 PM
Dont know what res it is bob. Reason is our digital camera is the most basic gets. i think the res is even lower than you mentioned.

Delphinus
04-22-2002, 08:25 PM
Actually Bob I think it is the bulb. Luckily if it is I will be able to exchange it (I have already been in contact with HelloLights.com). One bulb fires no matter what ballast it is on, and the other does not fire no matter what ballast it is on. I'd like to try this on Alan's ballast to see if I can get 3 for 3.. if so then back it goes and I'll await its replacement. Both my ballasts are working now. Luckily I have an old Iwasaki I can use in the meantime while I await the new one.

Bob I
04-22-2002, 08:34 PM
Okay Tony now you are right, but if you recheck your original post that is not what you said, or I am having trouble deciphering what you said. tongue.gif

Delphinus
04-22-2002, 09:45 PM
I had a double-whammy: one bulb not firing, and one ballast not firing. It took a few permutations to figure out which was which. But I was able to get the errant ballast fixed by swapping some wires out, so that variable is at least eliminated.

I am about to go try leaving the bulb of for 10 minutes, and see if this gets it to strike. I am a little worried about leaving the ballast on for too long without the light striking, I have no idea what the implications might be for running a current through a ballast with it having nowhere to go (the ballast hums when it's on, regardless whether the light is on or not...)

Does that make my original assertion any clearer or just muddier? :D Clear as mud, as I always say...