PDA

View Full Version : how to get rid of

Skimmer Juice
04-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Red algae how do you get rid of it.I had it under control until I bought a new light.I cant fit a protien skimmer on this tank any suggestions.Besides cleaning it cause I clean that tank twice a day.

DanG
04-13-2006, 07:16 PM
more water changes, phosphate removal, less food.

TheReefGeek
04-13-2006, 08:46 PM
If the tank is so small that you cant get a skimmer on it, as said then do more water changes. In a small tank they are so cheap.

Brandoser
04-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Try a small bag of Rowa phos, works really well.

StirCrazy
04-14-2006, 12:28 AM
first of all red algae doesn't tell much, so I will be the first to ask, what kinda red algae? does it look like red hair algae, does it look like cotton candy, does it look like a slime coat, or does it look powdery?

Steve

Skimmer Juice
04-14-2006, 12:31 AM
A slime coat.

aquanot
04-14-2006, 12:36 AM
If it is red cyano bacteria,then use CHEMI CLEAN.

StirCrazy
04-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Ok like the post above, a slime coat is usaly cyano bacteria not algae, so rowaphos and such won't have much of an effect. increased water changes, less feeding, and normaly I would say skim the hell out of it but you can use a skimmer so even more water changes to keep water in good condition.

Steve

AndyL
04-14-2006, 01:41 AM
Fought major cyano problems in my SH tank. Not uncommon given the large feedings and low flow. Basically I just let the tank balance itself, add macros (I know you've got some) let things come into a balance, make sure you've got a good varied cleanup crew. Fission Nano skimmer will fit in even a 2.5g, worth taking a look at.

Balance took 4 months to acheive...

So basically, macros, increase flow, and give things time to settle.

Andy

aquanot
04-14-2006, 03:10 AM
Anyone using one of these ? Are they effective? Noisy? King Ed has sold a lot of these . Just looking for feed back. Thanks.

Ruth
04-14-2006, 03:26 AM
You say that you had it under control and the only thing different is your light so you may want to think about either raising your light, cutting back on the photoperiod or putting some screening between your light and tank until everything is used to the light. Now that the cyno has gotten a foothold you may want to think about cleaning your tank, sand and rock by taking the sand and rock out and rinsing it really well in some fresh saltwater and doing the same with the sand. It is obviously finding something to feed on in your tank so maybe cut back on both feeding and light period for a while.