PDA

View Full Version : Metric PVC 50mm

phreezee
04-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Does anybody know where I can find 50mm PVC piping in Calgary? It's for my skimmer, and I've tried Rona, Home Depot and Benner Plumbing so far.

TIA!

TheReefGeek
04-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Call some hotub supply places

phreezee
04-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Sweet! Thanks ReefGeek!!!:)

Sun Spa
4201A 6 Street SE, Calgary, AB T2G 4E7
(403) 243-8434

TheReefGeek
04-13-2006, 06:46 PM
np, I assume Sun Spa had it for ya.

phreezee
04-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Well, the story is:
Wife calls Sun spa, and the lady say yup we got it.
I go there, guy doesn't know what I'm talking about.
He proceeds to call that same lady I presume.
In the end, he just didn't understand that 2" piping is not 50mm

I needed a longer output pipe to decrease the water noise, so I searched for 50MM piping but without success. Anyway, a little thing I discovered that I thought I'd share. What I found out while at my local HD is that a coupler for 1.25" piping has an outer diameter that is exactly 50MM . I then bought a 2ft length of 1.25" pipe and was done!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/p32920d17229c52643a537609c521753e/ef6cbbaf.jpg

JimE
04-18-2006, 12:52 AM
In the end, he just didn't understand that 2" piping is not 50mm

Uhh, no, it's you that doesn't understand. In the plumbing industry, standard 2" piping (50mm) does not measure that on either the inside or outside diameters, but is still called 2"/50mm pipe. So if you asked for 50mm piping then yes, they would have told you they have it because well, they do. You were looking for 2"/50mm *outside diameter* piping which is completely different. So if *you* had have asked *specifically* for 2"/50mm OD (outside diameter) piping, the spa co. would have told you no. (or should have if unless they *really* have their heads up their butts but not likely) FWIW, 50mm OD piping is not necessarily metric piping as you described - it is commonly used for central vacuums, commonly found at Home Depot, Rona, etc as 2"OD PVC.....

Jim
- tired of it always being somebody else's fault.....

phreezee
04-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Bhaha, thanks a lot JimE, I'll take the attitude, just as long as it came with the info.

However I was at 2 HD's and a Rona, and asked the staff, and they all said they didn't have it. I had the elbow with me and tried fitments also. I had the piping and a tape measure out showing the staff what I needed. I also called Benner Plumbing, and if a plumbing guy doesn't give me that kind of info.... maybe the expectation of an un-informed customer when asking for help from knowledgable staff of companies that specialize in plumbing, to get pointed in the right direction is wrong.

So sorry if I was SUPPOSED to know about 2" OD PVC piping, but I guessed that's why I asked a forum.

P.S. the guy at Sun Spa truly didn't know what he was talking about because he went to the back and cut me a piece of 1.5" PVC and came back and handed it to me.