PDA

View Full Version : I'm ordering pickling lime, who wants some?

Canadian Man
04-07-2002, 03:39 PM
So I have been informed by Tony's contact in Edmonton that we can order pickling lime (aka kalk,calcium hydroxide) from MRS. WAGES in the US.
It is listed as $1.83 per bag(454g or 1lb) on their web site, which is Americian prices of course. Tony said that it comes our to about $5.00 per lb after shipping.
When you compare this to kent kalk at lfs (big als) which is is about 1/2 as much but $20.00 per container, Mrs wages is a great deal
So does anyone want any?
Let me know how much.
Thanks.

[ 07 April 2002, 11:39: Message edited by: Canadian Man ]

AJ_77
04-07-2002, 06:04 PM
How exactly do you use this product?

Tau2301
04-07-2002, 07:38 PM
AJ_77

Here is a link to get you started.
Kalk (http://www.athiel.com/lib11/kalk.htm)

Bob I
04-07-2002, 07:55 PM
If you use straight Calgary water (you should IMO), and you add calk, it will precipitate out as little white things all over the glass in your tank.(I have found that out after Danny sold me some additive containing calcium)

Tau2301
04-08-2002, 04:06 AM
Hi Jon, I will take 4lbs (4 bags). Or the equivalent of a half pound of Kent Kalk in price.

Canadian Man
04-08-2002, 11:17 AM
If you are using straight calgary water you will be adding some calcium and buffer to your tank. The problem arises when you have any stony coral because they soak up the calcium and alk very fast. If you add kalk the proper way (as mentioned in the article) you should not experience any problems with white precipitate in your tank. The precipitate is usually experienced when adding a single additive like just calcium or buffer as you are throwing out the ballance. when you use a ballanced sollustion like kalk you are adding both calcium and buffer at the same time in the right ammounts to eachother.
Phew.... that was a mouthful
jonathan

Canadian Man
04-16-2002, 06:57 PM
Dear Sir,

I am sorry to reply we can not fill your request.
Thanks Julie Dodge
Precision Foods Inc.

SORRY guys no go. I asked if they can ship usps and put for aquarium use on the package and that's what they said. May be able to get shipped by ups but like tony said the border thing will cost more cause of their fees.

Delphinus
04-16-2002, 07:32 PM
:confused: Well don't that beat all. How the heck did those guys up in Edmonton do it? :confused:

russell
04-16-2002, 11:50 PM
Hi Tony,
I think how we were able to bring it in was from Yahoo shopping rather than Precision foods. http://shop.store.yahoo.com/mrswages/noname.html
Not really sure though i'll have find out more details for you guy's.
HTH...Duaine

Canadian Man
04-17-2002, 01:17 AM
Rocky
That's the same link I used and the contact is the same. online ordering is not possible as the only country option is the states.
The message I coppied from the email I recieved back from the company. I mailed them back to check why, and if it was possible then to get it shiped by ups rather than the usps that I wanted.

but any further info would be very helpful.
Thanks
Jonathan

Delphinus
04-17-2002, 02:02 AM
What about with www.borderfree.com (http://www.borderfree.com) ? I don't think they went they way of the dot-bombs yet. I actually bought one of my skimmers and some other things through their service, so I can vouch for this service. What happens is you take a webpage of a US based retailer, and you then send that page to Borderfree.com. They pose as a US buyer to the retailer, and buy the item(s) for you. It gets shipped to their US address, they broker the items through customs, and then tranship it to you from their Canadian address. Of course none of this happens before you agree to the price they quote you. The price they quote you is what it's going to cost, with dollar conversion, all applicable duties, and shipping. It's actually a pretty handy deal.

It may be worth a shot for this...

Canadian Man
04-17-2002, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the link Tony.
I sent them an email and going to see what they have to say, if they get back to me. :confused:

Canadian Man
04-17-2002, 01:33 PM
Well here is what they said(Mrs wages)when i asked if they can label it for aquarium use.

I am sorry that we can't fill your request it is due to the fact that we can not label the product for marine use. It is against the law here in the US. Sorry
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

eli@fijireefrock.com
04-17-2002, 01:53 PM
hi guys smile.gif
i will sell you pickling lime (calcium hydroxide)
for 10$/500g cheaper in bulk if interested.
the reason for to be more expensive i get it by bulk for aquarium usage from a distributer in USA :D

Canadian Man
04-17-2002, 02:19 PM
Well Tony this is what border connection had to say.
Dear Jonathan Vogt,

Thank you for contacting Borderfree.

Unfortunately we will not be able to facilitate your request, with our new service "CommerceConnect" (see details below) we only facilitate transactions for US retailers we have signed agreements with. At this time we do not have an agreement with the retailer you are trying to buy from.

Though we were extremely proud of the Universal Shopping Basket serviceâ?Ts success as its very design generated incredible learning and insight into what our customers were really looking for â?" seamless direct transactions at U.S. retail sites -- to ensure the dedication of our resources to further CommerceConnect product enhancements and the quick transition of our current merchant partners to our new CommerceConnect product, we decided to disable the service as of September 7, 2001.
Hereâ?Ts how the new service works:

1. Go directly to a CommerceConnect-enabled U.S. retail site. 2. Add the items you would like to purchase directly to the merchant-shopping basket (you are no longer required to use the Borderfree Shopping Basket). 3. Complete your order by clicking on the Canadian checkout found in the merchant's 'view basket' or 'view shopping cart' page. 4. Receive a guaranteed, real-time total purchase price in $CAD. 5. Place your order and it will be fulfilled by Borderfree and the U.S. retailer and delivered straight to your door.

To view a list of CommerceConnect enabled web sites (and those coming soon), please visit our U.S. Shops at www.borderfree.com. (http://www.borderfree.com.)

Over the coming weeks and months, we will be enabling many top tier U.S. retail sites with CommerceConnect capabilities so stay tuned.

Should you have any additional questions, please contact us via email at customerservice@cs.borderfree.com. We would be pleased to assist you.

Bryan
Borderfree Customer Service
Borderfree
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So no luck.
I suppose the next step is to try to find HYDRATED LIME at a chemical supplier in the city, or purchase eli's semi cheep stuff. but the hydrated lime would be cheeper if we could find it in the city.

Bob I
04-17-2002, 11:25 PM
I will only say this. If Eli can find it so can we. He found a U.S distributor, so we should have the resources to do the same. Surely we as a group can buy in bulk too. We have the strength of numbers. (one of the reasons we formed this group RIGHT?) That is my two cents worth. And BTW it is cheap not cheep like birdies do. :D :D :D

Merlin
04-18-2002, 12:34 AM
Hi Guys,
I'm from Edmonton, and ordered this stuff a while ago (I'm Tony's contact's contact smile.gif ).

What you have to is just order it from the website, without specifying what its too be used for. Say its for pickling cucumbers if they ask.

The reason it is best to ship it UPS is that their brokerage fee is $5, while most of the other shippers are in the $25 range. In any case, even with the $25, its still easily worth it.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at dvleemin@jpvleemingpc.com, as I don't monitor this board.

Darryl

eli@fijireefrock.com
04-18-2002, 02:56 PM
smile.gif :D
hey Bob Ipema i get all my stuff in cheaper without much questions asked same for the calcium hydroxide because i have a business license that will allow me to do,...
if calcium hydroxide is band from Canada by customs it is a 50% :cool: chance taking it throw the border without being detected :D wether its UPS or any other means of transport. ;)

Merlin
04-22-2002, 06:18 PM
Eli,
Calcium hydoxide is NOT banned in Canada. I'm curious as to how having a business license will help getting this in cheaper?

Anyways, up here in Edmonton I'm probably going to be ordering some pickling in. The cost will probably be $5-$6 per pound (last time was $6/pound), although it will depend on how much is ordered. In any case, if anyone needs some they can email me at dvleemin@jpvleemingpc.com.

Darryl