PDA

View Full Version : Buying livestock from states ?

aquanot
04-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Can we ship or drive across border with ?

Kabong
04-13-2006, 07:14 AM
Livestock across the border requires a cites permit. About $300 I believe.
I know some guys who have drove back with items and got away with it,
But I think you'd be sorry if you got caught.

howdy20012002
04-13-2006, 01:23 PM
as far as i know, u only require a cites permit if the species is Cites protected.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/aquaculture/ornamental_e.htm

Hope this helps...and maybe others can add their two cents worth, but i know that i have brought in stuff with no problems.
The problem is that alot of the border people wouldn't know what to do and whether or not your items should be protected by CITIES.
I would bring paperwork supporting whatever livestock you bring so that you can show them what the livestock is called and so forth.
Neal

mr_alberta
04-13-2006, 01:58 PM
From my understanding, most corals are a no-no, some fish are ok, and liverock is also a big no-no.

spikehs
04-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Premium aquatics sells LR and soft corals to Cananda. I asked and its only Hard Corals and Clams that are restricted. Said they have done it without problems....

Murminator
04-13-2006, 03:31 PM
I went through the list all that I seen that was listed for Canada was most seahorses (Hippo) black, yellow, spotted. Lesser horn coral, splitting cup coral, tuft coral. It is actually a big list but these are what most people would put in their aquariums.

Myka
04-19-2006, 03:30 AM
Use Tampa Bay Saltwater! IMO, the best live rock you can get, good prices, and overnight shipping to your closest airport for about $1/lb. NOT BAD!!!

www.tbsaltwater.com

Ruth
04-19-2006, 04:03 AM
I just checked the tbssaltwater.com web site and it says they no longer ship live rock internationally due to the permitting costs.

MobyDick
04-20-2006, 05:35 AM
Cananada?

Premium aquatics sells LR and soft corals to Cananda. I asked and its only Hard Corals and Clams that are restricted. Said they have done it without problems....