PDA

View Full Version : Temperature controllers.

vertex
04-13-2006, 04:00 AM
I'm wondering what people think of using temperature controllers that cycle heaters on and off instead of the heaters directly as a thermostat. I find my temperature cycles up to about 3 degrees with my halides by the end of the day but the dumb part is often I still see the heaters cycling on and off a little. I'm hoping that a temperature controller would be more accurate for a thermostat as the it easily stays under temperature if I unplug my heaters.

So, I'm also assuming that they are a little safer than your typical heaters that could stick on and cuase a melt down. I'm using small heaters and multiple but one on full still pulls the temp up a few degrees when I've tested it and I'm sure it would keep climbing (I had to stop it!!)..

Any recommendations or personal experience for these would be appreciated. I haven't even started looking into them yet, I just know they exists.

Thanks for any help

G1GY
04-13-2006, 04:53 AM
I'm using small heaters and multiple but one on full still pulls the temp up a few degrees when I've tested it and I'm sure it would keep climbing (I had to stop it!!)..

Are these heaters conected to a shared thermostat that turns them both on and off at the same time? I've seen that many people will use two smaller heaters instead of one larger one without a shared thermostat to keep them in sync.

IMO, this will cause one or the other of the smaller heaters to be in the "on" position for an extended period of time. Can't this cause the contact point to become welded together and stay in the "on" position?

Just a thought. :)