PDA

View Full Version : Sand sifting star (GOT TO GO) do you want him?

Josh_22
04-18-2002, 01:05 PM
a couple of months ago I was at Big als and bought saw there bright white sand in the display tank and asked how they keep it so white.
They said "buy a sand sifting star it will keep your sand white" so i did....

Now I have a tank full of purple coraline algea completly covering the sand which I scraped off this morning due to the sand star not only eating my debre but also eating anything and everything that once lived in my DSB. :mad: :mad: :mad:

So I have to get rid of him.
I was woundering if you guys know of any local Calgary stores who will take him back and trade me some snails, live sand to reseed my sand or whatever for him.

I would also be willing to trade him to any other Calgary reefer if they are interested although I dont know why you would unless you dont have a DSB. If you are interested leave a post ill check it tonight and tomarrow afternoon or give me a call 247-2493. :D

Ill be taking him back to Big Als if no one is interested where they will problie give me nothing in return. :(

JOSH

Bob I
04-18-2002, 02:07 PM
I strongly suggest you have Red Slime Algae on your sand. It is not an algae, but is bacterial. Your SS star would not eat that. Dick Boyd's Chemiclean will clean it up, I use it. As to your SS star destroying all your good thing, don't believe it. I have had one for more than a year, and as far as I can see he gives no trouble. Don't take him to Big Al's. We can talk about it. :D

Aquattro
04-18-2002, 02:24 PM
Josh, there are products that will help to a certain degree in the removal of cyanobacteria, although they are only band-aids. Finding and eliminating the source is the preferred method of treatment. Check bulb age, adequate circulation and nutrient removal. Water changes or a quality skimmer will do that for you. Siphon off as much cyano as you can with each water change; it should come off in sheets.
Are you using RO water? You should be. No point putting in what you're trying to take out, eh?

As for the seastar, yes, it will eat the critters in your sandbed. You can go to reefcentral and discuss this with Ron Shimek to obtain a valid answer.
Cucumbers are good at sifting sand, but they're also good at killing everything in the tank if they die or become stressed. An assortment of cerith and nassarius snails will sift things well for you.
Most (all?) sand-sifting fish are sifting to find bugs to eat. Bad thing. Conches do a good job as well.
Your first priority should be removing and preventing nutrients from entering the tank. Make sure your bulbs are new and evaluate the current in the tank. Maybe add another powerhead.
Remember, only bad things happen quickly. Have patience and a plan, and you'll get thru this fine.
Good luck!

Aquattro
04-18-2002, 02:46 PM
Did a quick look on Ron's forum and found this.

"Sand sifting stars are amongst the worst things you can add to a sand bed. Check out this link for some information about why."

The link referred to is here;

http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm

AJ_77
04-18-2002, 06:37 PM
Also on Dr Ron's site he mentions beneficial snails, which we are in the process of ordering, for shipping this weekend.

If you want in, then let us know. Delphinus has arranged a group order with Saltwater Connection (Jayson). Read the threads and see if you want in on this one, Josh. I don't think it's too late.

AJ

Bob I
04-19-2002, 12:34 AM
If you just want to get rid of him I'll take him off your hands. He can go into my new tank with my star. The tank has no DSB because it is in the refugium.

Josh_22
04-19-2002, 11:38 AM
Bob
Im not really all that interested in giving him away as I payed about 40 dollars for him. Do you have something to trade.
JOSH

Bob I
04-19-2002, 12:45 PM
I see your point. It was just that I did not want you to give him to Big Al's. If you were giving him away I would put up with him, but do not want to give any of my possible trading material away for something that causes possible trouble. :D

Dez
04-19-2002, 01:28 PM
You guys are getting me all worried here...I have a sand sifting star and a sand sifting goby....the article posted was about DSB's...but mine is only about an inch thick. Am I alright here guys? My start hasn't done much and it's fun watching the goby (there's no way i'd get him outta there anyway)... What's the verdict... Nothing's gone wrong so far..

des

Bob I
04-19-2002, 01:57 PM
DEZ, look at the link Reef Raf posted earlier. Dr. Ron says that on NO account should you have either a SS Star or Goby for your sandbed. :eek:

Josh_22
04-19-2002, 03:28 PM
Ok well Im going to hang onto the star for just a little while longer and insure that no one wants him, And BIG Als will offer me nothing if I return him Ill consider giving him away. At least then I know he will be in good hands.
JOSH

Bob I
04-19-2002, 10:09 PM
I am going to try to email Dr. Ron myself. I cannot see how a SS Star can cause any real problems. When mine buries himself I can still see the top of his back, That means he is into the sandbed half an inch at most. In a four inch sandbed there would be three and a half inches he does not get into. My reasoning is this "how could he possibly decimate the sandbed if he does not go down any further?" I had him in my refugium for a week and I have lost no pods that I can see. He lived in my nano for a long time. There is nothing in there now except corals. I now see thousands of pods. So I ask you all "what damage has he caused"? tongue.gif

Josh_22
04-20-2002, 10:20 AM
good point Bob.
Ill be interested to see what Dr. Ron says.
JOSH