PDA

View Full Version : Cyano in FW .. Red Slime Remover?

Delphinus
04-13-2006, 02:48 AM
I don't get it, my FW tank is a total cyano farm. Been that way for years, I'm getting so fatigued trying to siphon it out every week, water changes, phosphate sponges etc. etc. etc.

Anyone tried Red Slimer Remover in a FW tank? Or Chemi-Pure? I'm at my wit's end.

Railskinner
04-13-2006, 03:41 AM
:sad: well there is a product out thats called Chemi-Clean , this stuff is suppose to get rid of all algea's. It comes in a little package that will treat 300 gal. Do a google search to find more about it.

Maybe it's your repalcement water that u are using that is feeding the algea. Another might be not enough flow also.

:wink: Railskinner

Invigor
04-13-2006, 03:47 AM
if you only have fish in your tank, no snails, shrimp or plants, EM tablets have worked for me in the past..and they're a little cheaper than chemi-clean..and chances are if you know any guys that have been in freshwater for many many years, they probably have some lying around collecting dust...it's simply erythromyacin antibiotics.

naturally, don't forget to take out any carbon, and after about 3 days, you'll want to do a large (50%) waterchange, syphoning your gravel at the same time.

Flusher
04-13-2006, 05:23 AM
I had green cyano in a FW tank once. EM tablets helped, but I think I had better luck dosing MelaFix.
________
CSI: MIAMI DICUSSION (http://www.tv-gossip.com/csi-miami/)

4ptbuck
04-13-2006, 05:37 AM
give us some tank parms and inhabitants
is it a planted tank?
bioload
water change

I am running a high light, C02 enriched planted tank.
Cyano is an indication of bad light spectrums, and an inbalance of nutrients, typically Nitrates vs Potassium.

typically not enough nitrates will result in cyano.

deep6er
04-13-2006, 06:25 AM
I had green cyano in a FW tank once. EM tablets helped, but I think I had better luck dosing MelaFix.
em tabs do work but i would go with TC tabs you can see it working in an hour. 5 of my tanks had it I tried everythink i could think of from bleach to hydrogen poroxide then I tried TC. It has been 2 months has not come back.
I think the dose I used was 1 cap per 5 gal or what ever is says on the box. dont just put the capsule in the tank get a cup with your tank water and open them up then dump it in.1 dose should do.

good luck

Invigor
04-13-2006, 12:49 PM
em tabs do work but i would go with TC tabs you can see it working in an hour. 5 of my tanks had it I tried everythink i could think of from bleach to hydrogen poroxide then I tried TC. It has been 2 months has not come back.
I think the dose I used was 1 cap per 5 gal or what ever is says on the box. dont just put the capsule in the tank get a cup with your tank water and open them up then dump it in.1 dose should do.

good luck

what's TC? tetracycline?