PDA

View Full Version : Do you own a Niger Trigger? Post here!

OCDP
04-12-2006, 07:42 PM
I just wanted to see what reefers experiences are with these fish.

What size tank do you keep them in? Is it a reef or FOWLR? What other fish do you keep with it? What inverts do you keep with it? Does it nip corals, or anemones and clams? Do you like this fish, or do you have any regrets with the fish?

Thanks.. just trying to get a feel of what these guys are like.

SJSobczyk
04-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Scott,

I had one at one time in my 75 gallon fowlr. He was a great personality and always hung out with my Yellow tang. Picked himself out a small little rock he would always sleep in, and even had to sell him with it. Mine stayed fairly small but definitly enjoyed the swimming room. Pretty easy to care for and i never noticed him nipping at the rocks, as long as you kept him well feed.

It should do pretty good in a 50 gallon as long as you get a smaller specimen.
For long term success though i think a bigger tank would be better.

Steve

OCDP
04-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks Steve. I will definitely be looking for a small specimen, and (don't flame) later on once I feel it's reaching a maximum size for my tank, I will trade or sell it to another reefer, etc (this is of course if I even make the decision to get one) ... I know it's not the humane thing to do, please refrain from all flaming! Thanks :lol:

Ruth
04-12-2006, 08:20 PM
I keep my 3" Niger in a 44g cube with:
Tomato Clown and corkscrew anemone
Blue Devil Damsel
Red headed Goby
Prawn Goby
Shrimp Goby and Pistol shrimp pair
Cleaner shrimp
Peppermint shrimp (2)
Various snail
LPS, SPS, and softies - lots of zoos and mushrooms and leathers

Has never bothered anyone or any inverts or corals. The only time I have seen him get aggressive is that he was the last fish in the tank and the Tomato Clown and Blue Devil were chasing him for about a week. I think he finally got fed up and said F____ this and fought back. Since then everyone gets along just fine.

OCDP
04-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks Ruth!

So far, the Niger sounds like a somewhat peaceful citizen and would do fairly well in a mixed reef. I currently only keep: 2 True Percs, 1 Yellow Watchman, and 1 Lawnmower Blenny.

Hmmm... I'd love to hear from others, so keep them coming. I'm going to see if anyone in Calgary has any of these guys in (if you've seen one around town, shoot me a PM if you could.)

Thanks again

rickjames
04-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Had one for almost a year in my 150. Did not nip a clams or corals. The only thing it couldn't resist was an overturned snail. Was also really rough on new acquisitions.

I brought him back to the store in favour of some more peaceful residents (fairy wrasses). The main reason was I wanted the wrasses but didn't want a larger bio load, so off he went.

They are a nice fish, but need a big tank, and can be a little rough around the edges.

OCDP
04-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah after doing further research (Thanks to our lovely new reference library :wink: ) I read that the Niger's can be kind of hit and miss in terms of agression. Some can be big bullies, while others not so much...

I hate being in the situation of "do you chance it.. " I definitely don't want any agression going on with the clowns and other fish I currently have. But, having said that.. if he starts becoming a menace I can remove him and put him in my empty 20g ...

Decisions , decisions....

TheReefGeek
04-12-2006, 10:18 PM
What are the feeding requirements?

OCDP
04-12-2006, 10:32 PM
From my understanding, live food would be a bonus for these guys (small crabs, snails...) But from my readings it seems good meaty foods, and even greens are eaten by them.