PDA

View Full Version : Maybe off topic... Dive training

Aquaholic
04-12-2006, 07:24 PM
I am up in the air as to which dive center i want to get my PADI certifaction at, has anyone dealt with some of the places and which do you recomend?

(planning a trip to Fiji, and i must dive)

Thanks

spikehs
04-12-2006, 07:26 PM
I went with Adventures in Scuba, just by the petcetera. I definatley enjoyed it there.... I heard although I am not sure, they have the deepest pool in Calgary, and its saltwater...

surgeonfish
09-05-2006, 03:36 AM
When is your trip to Fiji? I have been diving for 30 years and instructing for 15 years (the last 3 years in Lethbridge). The Dive Shop probably has the most experience in town. I would get your classroom and confined water (i.e. pool) here, then do your 4 open water dives in Fiji instead of trying to do them in a wetsuit in Lake Minni.
If you ever get hooked and want to try Waterton Lake (it even has it's own wreck) sometime, give me a shout.
Good diving in Fiji,
Surgeonfish

AndyL
09-05-2006, 04:39 AM
Wetsuit? Lake Minni? You mean drysuit right? Cuz I've dipped my toes in there during the middle of summer and thought I was going to get frostbite :)

Delphinus
09-05-2006, 04:45 AM
If he's dived in Waterton then Minnewanka is practically bathtub warm in comparison. :)

Snappy
09-06-2006, 04:34 PM
I only have 9 years of diving under my belt but have had experience with both the dive shop and adventures in scuba and both are good padi shops so either one is fine and both have their own pools. As far as the course goes I would look into the 4 open water dives here at Lake Chapparel (etc) and do it now while it's still warm. That way when you go to Fiji you don't have to waste precious holiday time on dives that you don't get to see much because you are busy just rehearsing the skills. That is 2 extra days of real reef diving. Oh Yeah Baby!!
We expect plenty of pictures when you get back. If you have any other questions you can PM me.

Delphinus
09-06-2006, 04:45 PM
What about AquaSport in Marda Loop? http://www.aquasportscuba.com/index.html

I don't have any dive tickets but when I was looking for snorkeling gear (Ok this is about 10 years ago so maybe things have changed since then), I shopped around and found that gear (and the courses) were WAY less expensive with these guys than at Adventures or at the Dive Shop. They had their own pool too.

ed99
09-06-2006, 07:22 PM
I got my ticket at AquaSport and they were good. I think the guy who runs that shop also bought the Dive Shop a few years ago. I did my open water training dives here in town and also recommend that since you will probably lose 2 dive days in Fiji if you have to finish your course there. The water was a pleasant 26C in Lake Mackenzie that summer!

Ed

DiscusZ
09-07-2006, 06:48 PM
My wife took her classes at AquaSport, Darren is a great guy, (used to be at the dive shop) She then got certified in Jamaica .. I took my classes at the Dive shop and got certified in Waterton.. (it wasnt that cold) plus it was raining when we did it as well..

You can always do your classes and then take your actual cert at any PADI shop I wish I woulda known that her PADI card says Jamaica on it very cool.

This may also sound funny but if you have problems getting into a wet suit. Use nylons you can get in and out very fast.

BMW Rider
09-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I have been considering this too. We are planning a holiday next March, and hope to do some diving.

The next big question of course is where to go for some good diving. :question: :question:

Ruth
09-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Koh Tao Thailand! I took my PADI open water certification while I was there this spring - simply amazing.
I opted to take the entire course there - for one thing it was way cheaper but I am so glad that I did not try to break it up because I am not a strong swimmer and have a healthy respect - read almost fear - of the water. I think for myself if I had not taken the whole course at the same time I don't think I would have been brave enough to just go ahead with the open water dives. Everyone is different but that is my experience.
Koh Tao was recommended to me a number of times by different people and it definately lived up to it's billing. Up until a few years ago you were not even allowed to go there unless you were diving.

Veng68
09-07-2006, 08:52 PM
I wish I knew how to swim :(

Cheers,
Aquaman

Snappy
09-08-2006, 04:15 AM
I took my open water while on a cruise so my card say Princess Cruises and the dives were in Jamaica & Cozumel so it was cool but if I could do it all over I would do my dives locally so when I got to the tropics I could just dive and not have to waste time doing the course.

Ed I would recommend Grand Cayman and or Belize, the diving is awesome. As far as dives go it depends on what you want to see. Now getting a little further from home I plan to go to Palau and the Great Barrier Reef in Australia ASAP

BMW Rider
09-08-2006, 03:35 PM
If we went to Grand Cayman, I'd never get in the water. I'd be too busy sampling the rum. :drinking:Mmmmmm, Tortuga rum. :drinking: Grand Cayman was one of the stops we made two years ago on our cruise. I did an introductory dive in Cozumel on that trip, that's what made me want to do more. Snorkeling just isn't the same now.

Darksky
09-09-2006, 03:00 AM
I went with Aqua Sports in Marda Loop and have been super happy with them. One thing I would recommend is that you go with a shop that has an instore pool. That way you can go from the classroom to the pool in a matter of minutes. Not having to have a classroom session and then a day or two later, go to a pool to practice what you have learnt.

editted for spelling

Paverdude
09-10-2006, 04:22 AM
Anyone here with NAUI cert. or am i like really old?