PDA

View Full Version : Update on group order

Delphinus
04-11-2002, 03:00 PM
I have talked to Jayson and it appears he has everything for the order except the fighting conches, they did not come in this week as was expected.

I would be much happier if everyone could get what they want from this order, I don't want to see anyone miss out on something. So I propose we see if Jayson can get them in for next week. (I kind of have ulterior motives for suggesting this ... I could use a little more time working on my tank too. For some reason, I haven't been able to work on my tank this week AT ALL.)

Alan and Bob, are you guys OK to wait a few more days? Bob I know you've been waiting for a long time for these snails and I apologize for keeping you waiting .... I will try to make it up to you somehow.

AJ_77
04-11-2002, 03:26 PM
Tony:
Another week isn't going to put me out. Bob said he was going to be offline for a bit - have you called him?

AJ

Delphinus
04-11-2002, 05:25 PM
I'm OK to pick the stuff up from the airport. Actually since I'm the one coordinating this maybe it's better that I be the one to pick it up anyways.

But at any rate I will be sure to ensure delivery comes at a time that is convenient for everyone. I don't want a mad scramble for anyone or to make anyone have to juggle this or that.

Since Sean & I live reasonably close and since Alan & Bob live reasonably close, maybe what makes sense is I pick up the box, drive over to either Alan's or Bob's place; and then make the trek southward from there with Sean's and my stuff.

The one thing that has me maybe a bit stressed out ... There is, of course, the possibility that there will be no conches available next week too. I don't want Sean to miss out but I guess if conches aren't available they aren't available. (Sorry Sean! :( ) But I want to give this a fair shake in the meantime...

Bob I
04-11-2002, 08:02 PM
Alan, an equally fair question for you would be "Have you ever had crabs in your moustache?" With that out of the way; Yes, crabs would be no problem to catch from my refugium, especially if some folks eventually pick some Caulerpa up. tongue.gif

[ 11 April 2002, 16:02: Message edited by: Bob Ipema ]

Delphinus
04-12-2002, 12:19 AM
AI-YI-YI :eek:

Bob I
04-12-2002, 04:32 AM
I have waited forever now, so a few days more is no problem. I will, however, be on afternoon shift next week, so I will not be able to pick up at the airport in the afternoon. It would have to be well before noon.

spikehs
04-12-2002, 04:44 AM
well, i appreciated all the effor that has gone into me getting some conches! as it is, you guys dont need to really wait (although it is much appreciated :D ). If they dont come in next week, then by all means go and order, i dont want to hold you guys up and longer, as i am sure there will be other orders. Thanks again.

Sean

PS, the male has another mouthfull, almost 2 weeks now!

AJ_77
04-12-2002, 04:56 AM
Then I would indeed impose upon Bob to hold mine until Saturday morning, or such time as we could arrange a transfer. Not as convenient, no.

(Bob - how do you feel about crabs? And could we catch them again once they were in your refuge?)

AJ

(Just took a look at your refugium photo on the web - looks relatively uncluttered.)

[ 11 April 2002, 13:29: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

AJ_77
04-15-2002, 01:19 PM
delph -
I e-mailed Jayson about snails (what types available this week); told him I was part of your order for Calgary Reef club.

Will likely change my order slightly, but after I hear from him.

Cheers,
AJ

Delphinus
04-16-2002, 04:01 AM
Sounds good Alan ...

PS. If anyone else (Jon? Kim?) wants to jump in and get a thing or two (coral, snail, sea grass, etc.) -- here's a good chance to save a bit on shipping .. let myself or Jayson at SWC know about it in the next or two. Looking at shipping I think either Friday or Saturday. I can't do any sooner because it looks like I have to go on the road again after today for a day or two :(

AJ_77
04-16-2002, 12:27 PM
Tony:
I'm going to confirm my portion of our order to Jayson, as follows (pls note changes):

6 Red Leg Hermits @ $2.50 each
12 Astrea Snails @ $2.00 each
12 Cerith Snails @ $2.25 each

For Friday or Saturday delivery.

Thanks,
Alan

eli@fijireefrock.com
04-16-2002, 01:18 PM
hi all
from the prices that i see you are buing too expensive isnt cheaper to have a group order from jlaquatics :confused:

AJ_77
04-16-2002, 03:13 PM
Eli:
We're piggy-backing on Tony's order, to reduce shipping costs. The original post is "group order proposal."

$.25 per snail isn't much when we can split $40 in shipping.

AJ

Bob I
04-16-2002, 10:23 PM
No change in my order as far as I know. Eli if we keep talking and splitting hairs, we will never get anything done. :(

AJ_77
04-17-2002, 12:08 AM
Bob: great, has Jayson got your particulars, or is Tony passing them on?

Sean: you in on the conches (if available this week)?

Let's be very clear, and get this done.
O-tay?

AJ smile.gif

Delphinus
04-17-2002, 01:53 AM
What I did was collect people's wishlist and passed them off to Jayson. Sorry that I didn't make this clear. So as long as your wishlist is what you posted, Jayson knows it. Of course, it doesn't hurt to verify with Jayson yourself, as I have been known to make errors on occasion. ( ;) )

As for the shipping. I have been sent on the road again so I am once again in the fair city of Edmonton as I type this. I was hoping not to have to go again, but things turned out otherwise. My plan is to be home sometime Friday. There is a chance I could come home sooner but there is also a solid possibility that my stay be extended. I have been back and forth so often the last few weeks I would much rather stay on this time a little longer if it means I don't have to go back anymore. Whine, whine, whine. HOPEFULLY all goes well and I will be home sooner rather than later.

I hate to ask this, but how would you feel about a Sunday delivery. Only if I'm not home as soon as I hope to be. As a last resort kind of thing.

I haven't thought about payment. I guess I don't take credit card. So if you want to use a CC can you make the appropriate arrangement with Jayson. Probably what makes best sense is everyone makes pre-arrangement with Jayson minus the cost of shipping. I'll pay the shipping and let you know what your share comes to.

It sounds like we're out of luck on the conches. Sorry Sean. :( I wanted one too, after having been sold on the idea by you guys...

AJ_77
04-17-2002, 02:04 AM
Sunday would be OK, Tony. That works for Jayson and Air Canada?

We could still meet and split the order at my house (or Bob's) in the NW.

The payment idea works for me, seems good for you also. More convenient, less on the hook. ;)

Thanks again, talk at you soon.

Alan

Bob I
04-17-2002, 12:17 PM
I just wrote a long reply, but this d***n board told me I was not logged in. Now it is gone grrrr. Anyway I keep being confused how this order is to happen. The way I thought it would happen was that Tony as Coordinator would collect the orders. He then said he would post the cost on the board. Somehow this did not happen. I thought (wrongly perhaps) that one person would pay for the order, and tell each of us what his share would be. Then when the order was divvied up we would each hand over our share. I realise this would involve using money, but I resolutely refuse to use a credit card. That is why my tank has not been ordered yet. :confused:

AJ_77
04-17-2002, 01:17 PM
Bob - not to worry. Tony has offered to organize and collect payment.

He only offered an alternative: "So if you want to use a CC can you make the appropriate arrangement with Jayson."

I'm sure cash is still fine. If you read the initial thread it's almost clear. The problem is that this is a poor method of communication.

Fear not, one day your snails will come...

AJ ;)

Bob I
04-17-2002, 02:15 PM
Excellent, I have tried to contact Jayson to confirm what my wish list was. I have also made contact with Mitch. He is supposed to working late tonight, so I am going by to look and get my tank :D order in.

Delphinus
04-17-2002, 05:05 PM
Hi Bob, if you prefer not to use a CC then you & I can make some sort of agreement amongst ourselves. But I am not at home right now, can we touch base in a few days when I'm back in town? Thanks for your patience, I realize this is getting drawn out and must be frustrating for everyone else (trust me I am frustrated that I keep getting sent onsite ... these people have the mistaken beleif that I am somehow coherent and competent). I should be back in town (and back on track on this order thing) by Friday.

spikehs
04-17-2002, 07:32 PM
Not to worry about the conches, I'll get em sometime!...I am starting to half plan an order for some time in the next 2months or so as i want to buy a rose bta - so maybe then we can all get some other stuff too!

Bob I
04-17-2002, 11:17 PM
No problem, thanks Tony. I have thought about it, and have come to the conclusion your way is better. :eek: I am thinking about adding a coral, and dropping the cuke. So I will re contact Jayson, and pay for my stuff myself. Unfortunately to support this habit, I work between noon and 4:00pm on Saturday and Sunday, so it might be tough. I have been to Bow Valley and ordered the tank. It is supposed to be ready on Monday.

Delphinus
04-18-2002, 03:48 AM
Hi Bob -- wow that's quick turnaround on the tank, I thought I read on ReefCentral it was like 3-4 weeks delivery. Were they somewhat helpful when you went there in person? I'm still undecided what I want to do in the long-term, whether a corner tank or a cube tank is better suited and I want to pick an "expert's" brain on the subject.

As for the delivery. Well if Sunday doesn't work we can do another day. I just thought I was holding things up. Another day is fine with me so long as it's cool with Alan too. I guess it's just the three of us now on this...

AJ_77
04-18-2002, 11:25 AM
I would really appreciate if we could get this done, guys. Diatoms wait for no man. I want to get some snails in and stay ahead of these algae blooms.

Saturday or Sunday after 4 p.m. sounds like the target. Can Jayson deliver? Even if it's a little earlier in the day, by the time we get the order to our end of town and separated, Bob will be off work and could pick up his critters at my house.

Please tell me this is do-able.

Alan

Delphinus
04-18-2002, 12:09 PM
Alan: Situation understood. Let me talk to Jayson and see what the options are. Unfortunately until I'm back in town my hands are kinda tied. I'm sorry -- wanna find me a different job? :D :D :D

Bob I
04-18-2002, 12:18 PM
Okay Alan that sounds fine. Do the pickup, and I will go to your place after 4:00 to pick up. But now that we are this close let's finish it. BTW I received an email from Jayson who says that Nassarius are better for sandbed cleaning, so I will stay with them. As to what you call Diatoms (I probably call Brown Algae) don't worry that is common in a new setup, it will go away.
Tony, it is always better to talk to the guy who is in the know. I mentioned top Mitch about the possible lack of sticking to deadlines. He said there are two sides to every story. He said it would be done on Monday, and I should post that on the web. You can certainly talk to him about your project, and I :D am sure he will help you.

Josh_22
04-18-2002, 01:10 PM
I was interested since you are all buying snails etc from saltwater connections if you might be able to help me pick an animal out that will help clean my DSB and but not distroy the good things in it like my sand star did.
Thanks
JOSH

Bob I
04-18-2002, 02:01 PM
As to your sandstar destroying your DSB. Is that documented? I put my White SS in my refugium, and I see no fewer Amphipods etc. But back to your question. Nassarius Snails are recommended, as are Sand Sifting Cucumbers, and what are called Microstars. The snails and Cucumbers are available. You can still get in our order. tongue.gif
Bob

AJ_77
04-18-2002, 02:26 PM
Josh - you need multiple and various animals, based on the size and type of your tank. Read up on "reef custodians" and the like, and see what is offered for sale at J&L, SW connection, etc.

You may also need a detrivore kit. Jayson at SWC sells 'live' sand by the pound.

And, Bob has good advice. ;)

AJ

Bob I
04-19-2002, 12:11 PM
Can anyone update me as to the status of this order? Anything happening?

AJ_77
04-19-2002, 12:24 PM
Bob - You've got mail. SWC order is a go.

AJ smile.gif

[ 19 April 2002, 08:24: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]