PDA

View Full Version : Queen conch

cvrle1
12-16-2001, 06:13 AM
Hey

I wanted to buy a queen or fighting conch for the aquarium but I don't want to MO them. I read on another board that they have these for sale at the oriental markets alive for $3 a pound (apparently they are very tasty). They are about 1 pound so that would be 3 bucks for one. Question is would they survive the transfer to the tank??

Thanks

Dolf
12-17-2001, 07:20 AM
Darn good question! Bet they would look at you funny if you brought in a thermometer, hydrometer and full test kit and proceeded to take water samples! images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Provided you don't care what people think I say go for it!

Commie
12-17-2001, 12:14 PM
The problem with those conches in the supermarkets is they are HUGE...You will need a pretty big tank for them...Smallest ones I've seen are about 3-4 inches long...
Also, most of the ones I have seen are dry stored..IE. they are not in water...And they are extremely dirty. If you are going to try this, definately use a quarantine tank.

canadawest
12-19-2001, 01:14 AM
Hey cvrle, I asked Lisa at J&L about Conches last week. Perhaps if enough people are interested in them they will bring in a bunch of Queen or Fighting conches for us?

I have been hearing great things about their appetite for nuisance algae!

PS.. I am looking to add more snails to my tank soon. Anyone know where to get Nassarius, Strombus and Cerith snails cheap?

StirCrazy
12-19-2001, 03:48 AM
Queen conch are way to big.. you would need a 90 gal or larger that is all sand bottom for it to do good.. fighting conch only need 2 square feet of sand each.. and they stay small. now if you want to raise them for eatin .. thats a different story.. just don't forget to invite me ovr for supper images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I love conch

Steve