PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Josh_22
04-15-2002, 11:40 PM
Hi
My names Josh and I live in the Calgary area and have kept a 50 gallon fowlr tank for just over a year now and this is the first that I have come across this site. Great to see some other Calgary reefers.

Im currently considering upgrading my tank to some where between 110 - 180 gallon which would allow me to keep some corals. This will require me to buy a new lights, protein skimmer, LR, and of cource a new tank.

I was woundering if you had any recomendations on what brands I should purchase and where. I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible.
Maybe a retro kit or something.
Thanks
JOSH

Bob I
04-15-2002, 11:57 PM
Welcome to our little group. I would like to jump right in by stating that you do not necessarily need a big tank to keep corals. I (and others keeep corals in 10 gallon tanks). To begin I would seriously recommend a deep sand bed for your tank (from now on to be referred to as a DSB). A skimmer is most certainly not a requirement when using a DSB. I will now let others jump in. :D

Josh_22
04-16-2002, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the welcoming.
I understand that I dont require a large tank to keep corals that is not the main reasion im upgrading my tank. I want to keep more fish, Larger fish (tangs etc)
I also currently have a 3 inch sand bed in my 50 gallon tank.
Speeking of that where do you guys/ girls buy your sand from. The stuff I bought from Riverside was like 50 dollars for a 30lbs bag. I know you can get it from JL for 34.00. Is there a cheap subsitute up here in Canada.
JOSH

Bob I
04-16-2002, 12:34 AM
Yes of course. You can quite easily use plain old silica sand if you don't mind the brown color. I use it mixed with Oolite, which is around $50.00 for a 30 lb bag at Big Al's. There are other choices. Maybe Kim will let you know what he uses. :D

eli@fijireefrock.com
04-16-2002, 12:51 AM
hi josh-22
i could get you any type of caribsea sand you like for aprox. 1.00-1.50$/lb thats about half of store $.
if interested in anything else let me know i get my stuff for wholesale $.ph#295-1707
i will be getting a shipment of corals in the next month or two if interested. smile.gif

AJ_77
04-16-2002, 12:57 AM
Hi Josh, welcome a-board!

There have been long discussions on the merits of various substrate choices on this board, and this only in the last 2 months. This is one I started, and got good responses, with a link to earlier threads included:

http://www.canreef.com/ubb6/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000483

I think it will get you started. I researched DSBs until thoroughly confused, and then found a live DSB a guy was cleaning out of his large tank.

The money thing was an issue with me. Even at Eli's prices, it's a wad of cash. Bob made a valid post concerning Calgary water and silica sand. I have 300 lbs of Target Lane Mountain #70 in my garage if you need any. It has a good range of particle sizes, and "a pleasing off-white colour." ;)

I will use it for landscaping now, if nothing else...

AJ

[ 15 April 2002, 20:58: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Tau2301
04-16-2002, 01:06 AM
Hi Josh,and welcome to the board.

I am using something a little different. I choose put in my tank a 6" bed of glass shot peen with about 1" of Oolite on top with some rubble patches. The shot peen is just glass marbles with sizes that range from sugar to silt - $20 for 44lbs. Looks white just like Oolite.

You can look at the specs for the shot peen at this site. They are located in town (Calgary).
Manus Abrasive (http://www.manusabrasive.com/content/glassbead.htm)

I am still early into the trial of this type of media so proceed at your own risk. So far, so good. :D

A suggestion that I made on another post was to put your Oolite Sand around the perimeter of your tank. Fill the centre with the lower cost play sand and then top it off with Oolite. You get the good looks of Oolite with the economy of play sand. I am going to try this on my next tank.

Delphinus
04-16-2002, 01:32 AM
Welcome to the board Josh. I hope you can make our next meeting, May 7th! smile.gif

Canadian Man
04-16-2002, 01:46 AM
Well I suppose I should join in, even if I am the last of our growing group to say WELCOME!!!
The guys all had great points and I dont have much to add other than, I built up my sand bed slowly cause of the cost. Mainly acomplished in 3 steps of about an inch and a half each time over a few months.
As well I too hope to see you at our next (2nd) meeting.
Cheers
Jonathan

Josh_22
04-16-2002, 11:55 AM
Thank you very much for the great welcome.
As much as I would like to make it to the next meeting on May 7th I will not be able to as I am leaving for Europe on May 1st. Ill check in with you guys when I return on June 2nd and ill make it the next one.
Thanks
again
JOSH