PDA

View Full Version : Is there ANY point in keeping Jellyfish?

VDHD
03-09-2002, 07:15 PM
I noticed at Big Als they have Jellyfish. They are of the Upsidedown variety. Won't these die fairly quickly? What do they need?

Delphinus
03-09-2002, 10:06 PM
I noticed that too. I'm not impressed.

Bob I
03-09-2002, 11:04 PM
I read something about Jellyfish on Aquariumcentral, it was not encouraging. They need a special tank. Try a post there, and ask Boogiechillen. Just go to www.aquariumcentral.com/forums, (http://www.aquariumcentral.com/forums,) and go to the General Marine forum.
Bob

Biogeek
04-08-2002, 01:48 PM
Although it is certainly not easy, it is possible to keep jellyfish (and the upside-down jelly, Cassiopea (http://www.aquarium.org/jellies/images/upside-s2.jpg)is one of the easiest) in an aquarium if you have the proper tank design and know what you are doing. I'm not defending Big Al's, because I somewhat doubt that they have the correct setup (I haven't seen it), but just wanted to let you know that it is possible, and point you to some resources for keeping jellies at home if you're interested. I have a detailed article on jellyfish and ctenophores (http://www.aquarium.net/1296/1296_8.shtml) in the Aquarium.Net archives, and discuss jellyfish biology and how to keep them in the aquarium here (http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/r_toonen_051798.html). There are a variety of other jellyfish resources listed on the About.Com (http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/invertcarejellyf/) guide, so you can always cruise through there if you're interested as well...

Rob

Delphinus
04-08-2002, 02:00 PM
Hi, thanks for the info. Yes you are absolutely correct, it certainly is possible, however IMO they are in that category of animal that requires "specialized" environment, that just anyone in Joe Q. Public may not be aware of. I am all for availability of perhaps notorious species on a special-order type basis but when you bring in an animal such as this or other notorious species, into a tank willy-nilly (they just threw these into one of their live rock tanks) for generalized sale, what is going to happen is that they will be sold to impulse buyers and as we all know since this is a topic that tends to be discussed often, this is an example of a weakness in the "system."

George
04-09-2002, 04:55 AM
Welcome aboard Rob. I hope you visit the board more often. We need some experts like you in here.

George

Biogeek
04-09-2002, 01:40 PM
I completely agree with you Tony, and jellyfish certainly do require a specialized environment that most people are not aware of. But my response was to the question (which asks "is there ANY point in keeping jellyfish?") more than to the specific situation at Big Al's (and from your description of their misguided treatment of these animals, I was right in assuming that they did not have the correct setup for them). I make no claims that this pet shop should not have imported the jellies we are discussing, I was simply trying to answer the question posed by VHDH who asked what these animals need to survive in the aquarium...

I don't think that any of us would disagree that animals should not be brought in if they cannot be properly housed and cared for, and I certainly agree that it is a sad failing of the system that animals are offered for sale without the sales staff having adequate knowledge of their care. However, in this case, it is much easier for Joe Q. to care for and have success with a species like Cassiopea -- provided the petshop that is selling the animals is conscientious and educates the person as to the needs of the animal before selling it -- than they are to have success with a wide variety of other corals that are sold every day without question. If the buyer is made aware of their biology and taught how to set up a tank to provide for their needs, the success rate with these animals is fairly high (certainly higher than animals like clownfish- hosting anemones, carnation or flowerpot corals for example). Personally, my feeling is that if someone is interested in these animals, then we owe it to them to provide the details of how to provide an aquarium that will allow them to succeed rather than simply the reasons that they will fail...

Thanks George. I was just pointed to this site by Mitch, and will try to drop by from time to time, but I must admit that I'm not really a regular poster on any board...

Rob

[ 09 April 2002, 09:41: Message edited by: Biogeek ]

Troy F
04-09-2002, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the board Rob. As expressed by George; it would be nice to have your contributions around here.

Delphinus
04-10-2002, 04:43 AM
Personally, my feeling is that if someone is interested in these animals, then we owe it to them to provide the details of how to provide an aquarium that will allow them to succeed [...]

I couldn't have said it better myself. That's exactly how I feel. Sorry -- I realize you were responding to the original question, I was just elaborating on why I wasn't impressed. All I ever said in reply was that I had seen the shipment myself and was unimpressed -- I thought perhaps an elaboration was in order. Personally I see a lot of animals brought in by LFS that realistically have no business bringing these animals in. You bring up an excellent example with the hosting anemones -- I see these guys constantly brought in only to suffer huge casualties. But I would never suggest an import ban on them, what I would prefer to see is that when a person feels that they are ready to accomodate such species that they approach their supplier and ask for a special order type item. I see no reason why such an approach couldn't be more readily adopted today than it currently is -- currently I've found when I was looking for particular species that I was told by suppliers to "just keep checking back with them, eventually they would bring one or two of those in." Of course what would happen is that when the animal did by chance become available, it was snatched up as impulse purchases by others before I myself was able to take a look at them. I don't know if this is a good example that illustrates my point and I don't know if my idea is really an improvement over the system currently in place but it seems to me that it could be. Of course, it means less $$$ to the retailers so realistically the idea will never fly.

Josh_22
04-16-2002, 12:36 AM
Although I dont clam to be an expert at salt water fish keeping I did do a lot of research priour to starting up my frist aquarium. I to saw the jelly fish and Big Als and was not sure what to think of them. Although Big Als is not the only store in town that bothers me. Pet land continues to buy anemones and keep them under NO light(although they no longer carry salt water fish). Riverside keeps tangs in ten gallon aquariums. That store has more dead fish then any other store in Calgary and it drives me nuts. Not to mention the fact that any of these stores will sell salt water fish to anybody without asking questions. I woundering how many salt water fish go home to fresh water tanks because buyers dont know the difference. I think these shops need to take responsiblity for what they are selling and ask questions and inform the buyer.
sorry just had to vent
Josh

Bob I
04-16-2002, 12:48 AM
It is most honourable to complain about our local petstores. You must realise that these pinheads are in the business to make money. They really don't give a rats a** what you or I think. Daniel Wai has told me most honestly that he wants to get as much money out of my pocket as he can. But he also says he has to keep me happy so that I come back. I am afraid that bigger outfits like Petland and Riverside can quite easily do without our business.