PDA

View Full Version : Watchman Goby Question

OCDP
04-11-2006, 12:21 AM
I have decided to try BB out on the new cube, which will be up by the end of this week. So.... I am wondering what to do with my watchman goby. He's a definite sand digger (is that a word?) Anyways, can he survive in a BB tank? Or will he be completely stressed and die without sand? I'd hate to let him go, he's been with me through it all.. he's a tank that guy.

Thanks in advance guys,

Scott

G1GY
04-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Gold has a YWG in a BB tank that's doing great.

Paverdude
04-11-2006, 01:01 AM
You could try giving him some nice small crevices/caves to hide in.

OCDP
04-11-2006, 01:18 AM
Yeah, I am wondering if by going BB, and having no sand will severly stress the fish out or not though.. I guess in short I am wondering "does a YWG need a sandbed" ?

sergeantpilot
04-11-2006, 01:30 AM
My watchman has had no problems with my BB 65gal, he does tend to hide under rocks most times and only comes out for feedings. Doesn't appear to be stress or have any other issues.

OCDP
04-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the input. Mine hides all the time.. and only comes out for feedings as well.

By the sounds of things, it seems like he should be okay in the BB setup . If I notice he starts acting a little weird, I'll fix the problem.

Thank you all.

GMGQ
04-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Well if it's BB, they HAVE NO CHOICE but to hide in the rock crevices. I'm sure they'll 'make do,' but I wouldnt go so far as to say they're 100% happy.

They're used to sand in their natural environment. I think they should be provided with sand in a captive environment.

Skimmer Juice
04-11-2006, 05:42 PM
True that's like putting seahorse in a tank with nothing to branch on to.Sure they might live but are they happy.

naesco
04-12-2006, 01:50 AM
You probably noticed your goby sifting the sand to get algae and the micro-organisms it needs.

IMO you should remove it and place it in an environment that suits it needs.