PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint Shrimp...Reef Safe?

saltaddict
04-10-2006, 08:23 PM
I am trying to controll the aptasia in my 65 Gal softie tank. I have a peppermint shrimp that eats aptasia but not all of it. I was planning on getting an army of these lil guys but have read that they will eat Zoo's and Anthelia and such. Does anyone have any experience with these guys? Ohh and I am aware of the alternative...Kalk....Vinegar...Hot water... Joes Juice.

DanG
04-10-2006, 08:30 PM
I've never had an issue with any of my peppermints in my tank.

BMW Rider
04-10-2006, 10:42 PM
I never had a problem with mine, but I have read that they may go after clams.

naesco
04-10-2006, 11:13 PM
As long as there is some aptasia in the tank they will not eat your coral.
If they have nothing to eat they may.

If the shrimp is not eating all of it, it may be that they are leaving the larger older ones. These ones you should kill yourself.

saltaddict
04-11-2006, 12:37 AM
My Shrimp seems to stay in a small area of the tank and erradicate all aptasia ..big or small in his area. The aptasia he hasnt touched are smaller than alot of the ones he's eaten. Maybe Ill give him more time and kill the large ones with Kalk. Thanks

Samw
04-11-2006, 02:17 AM
Mine liked to eat Christmas tree worms, Coco worms, and feather duster worms.

saltaddict
04-11-2006, 02:28 AM
I think I am gonna forget about getting more peppermints. I pulled out a couple rocks from the tank today and nuked some aptasia with vinegar:twised: . Those lil bastard sure can hide when they know your after em.

aquanot
04-11-2006, 06:50 AM
My peppermints took care of all but 3 aptasia when they discovered frozen food . They haven't touched any of my clams or zoos.