PDA

View Full Version : Is this salt still OK?

Bartman
04-10-2006, 09:59 AM
I just went to mix up a batch of new water for a water change using my IO salt and I found that I hadn't put the lid on properly last time I used it. The salt is hard and I have to use a screwdriver to break it up. It seems to (completely) dissolve a little slower than I remember. I'm assuming some moisture has gotten in the bucket. (?) Will this salt still be OK or has some reaction taken place that's going to mess it up? The bucket is still 3/4 full.

Johnny Reefer
04-10-2006, 12:04 PM
It's fine. Probably didn't get wet. It has oxidized. (Reacted with oxygen in the air due to the lid not being closed).

Cheers :),

Beermaster
04-10-2006, 12:21 PM
It's fine. Probably didn't get wet. It has oxidized. (Reacted with oxygen in the air due to the lid not being closed).

Cheers :),

Yup what he said :mrgreen:

BMW Rider
04-10-2006, 03:23 PM
The salt will also pick up moisture from the air which will cause it to clump. Still not a problem, just a nuisance.

aquanot
04-11-2006, 07:07 AM
It might be a pain to get it to disolve properly .Heating up the water might help ( not boiling ) What does any one else think ?

StirCrazy
04-11-2006, 12:11 PM
I am going to post the other side. some has hardened, so we might look at it as improper mixing (not that you did it but the same results type thing) where you add the water to the salt, it forms super saturation and falls out of solution forming different compounds. so what I am saying it that because some of the material has already had reactions because of the moisture it might be in a useless form (non soluble) so you might not get proper Ca, Alk ect. levels. also depending on your luck you might get different concentrations in your mixes.

Salt is cheap, buy a new bucket and cut your losses.

Steve

Johnny Reefer
04-11-2006, 12:22 PM
It might be a pain to get it to disolve properly .Heating up the water might help ( not boiling ) What does any one else think ?
I never had a problem with dissolving salt that had oxidized.

Cheers:smile:,

Bartman
04-12-2006, 10:49 PM
I've made up over 20G of water and there is some white particulate that is not dissolving, or is dissolving verrrry slowly. The water is heated and has a PH in it. I'll have to test the water.