PDA

View Full Version : My Clowns laid eggs...now what?

Noj
04-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Hey,

Last night my female false perc looked fatter than usual, and then today, lacked the bulk she did yesterday, so with a little patience, I saw where they laid the eggs...seemingly unusual place and even harder to spot...I have a BB tank, so they laid the eggs on the black silicone seam where the bottom and front glass meet. I couldn't see it for the life of me and I just thought my clowns were being friendly when they were staying right at the front of the tank. So when I took a look from the side of the tank, I could see what they were covering.

So my question...it looks as though my clowns are eating their eggs? Or are they just going over top of the eggs with their mouth for some other reason? I have fed them again today and they ate.

I am in no way ready to rear these, so unless someone in Victoria who has some experience is interested in coming here and taking them when/if they hatch, please do. If not, I guess I will just let mother nature do her thing.

Now this is the first time they have laid eggs, so how often does this happen now?

Sorry for the novel,

I will get a picture when my girlfriend gets here with a better camera then I have.

-Cam

mr_alberta
04-09-2006, 12:49 AM
My clownfish usually lay eggs bi-weekly.

Beverly
04-09-2006, 02:17 AM
Hope you find someone who will rear them for you :)

I think my ocellaris pair are getting ready to lay eggs soon. The male looks like he's been stripping the coralline off of a rock deep under the rockwork. The female is hiding nearby and we can only see her if we look through a tiny hole in the rocks on one side of the tank. Eggs will be hard to get at, if the crab in that tank doesn't get them first :sad: Ah, such is nature. We will not be rearing them at any rate.

Xtasia
04-09-2006, 04:27 AM
See if the parents will guard/raise them until they are into the planktonic stage. On the day of the hatch, 2 hours after lights out, you can shine a flashlight into the tank and collect the babies with a clean white bowl.

If she won't raise them you can try laying a tile over their egg laying spot, ensuring the tile is as vertical as the surface the eggs were originally laid on. Then remove the tile after you are sure fertilization is complete.

Good luck.

Read more in the J. Wilkerson book.

Noj
04-09-2006, 05:09 AM
the two clowns are the only fish in the tanks, and over the past 3 weeks i have taken out 3 hitch hiker crabs and 1 blue legged hermit.

how do I know when the eggs have been fertilized? its so neat and new, i know NOTHING!!

thanks for the help and ideas

-Cam

muck
04-09-2006, 06:18 AM
its so neat and new, i know NOTHING!!

If you are serious about trying to raise the fry I would definately invest in the book 'Clownfishes' by Joyce Wilkerson and do as much reasearch/reading about it as you can.

http://omard.5u.com/Pics/book_clownfishw.jpg

Noj
04-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks Ryan,

I wont be attempting to raise any fry anytime soon. Maybe late summer/early fall. But I will definately need to get informed.

Thanks

-Cam