PDA

View Full Version : Lighting - Is this a good idea?

Todd
04-08-2006, 04:37 AM
I am currently tankless (well except for a 33g cichlid tank a 10g guppy tank and a fry tank – but I have never done salt). I am slowly collecting some equipment so that I can start a reef tank when I move out to Victoria in May. I was thinking of doing a 33 gallon bow front (if I can find a used/cheap one) with a HOB protein skimmer. I am not really sure what I want as far as livestock – likely some clowns as they are hardy and relitively inexpensive, but don’t know what I would like to do as far as corals. I don’t want to have to upgrade equipment in the future (besides a bigger tank when I can afford to stock it!) and reading Cams post – ‘Are MH the way to go?’ and Ruth’s ‘I wish I had listened’ has got me really thinking.

I was originally thinking of doing a 4 x 96 watt PC light, but then came across an opportunity for a 36” Hamilton 1 x 250W MH (10000K) with 2 x 96W PC Actinics with 2 fans - canopy style, it sits right on the tank. I don’t want my equipment to dictate what livestock I can have (ie not bright enough / too bright) – would this allow me flexibility in livestock – would this light be too bright or not bright enough for anything? Should I go this way – or stick to my original thoughts of a 4 x 96 watt PC, or am I missing something completely?

The MH 250W ballast is not working either – is this difficult to replace?

Also am I just being eager, and should wait until I find a tank before I get a light. Although it looks like a great deal!

Thanks for your help!

Invigor
04-08-2006, 04:54 AM
you could always replace the actinics PCs with 10000k and run just those until you get things that need the halide. chances are you'll upgrade to MH sometime down the road, and if you've already got it setup for it...there's not much of an upgrade. ballasts are easy to come by, so don't let that stop you.

fishguyxd
04-08-2006, 06:18 AM
if you have a chance at the mh's get them now? I started with pc and they have did me fine for the first yr or so ,growth is slow on corals but that what worked for me so far and i am looking at mh 's now.etc

seashells
04-08-2006, 06:54 AM
Figure out what corals, fish and inverts you would like to have and then get the appropriate lighting to match. Consider the future direction of your tank and what you want to have in it when you're finished. (Silly me...We're never finished, just always looking for that next purchase.) Unless you are really strapped for money then get the best lighting you can. It's cheaper in the long run. I see some great deals for lighting on the buy/sell.

Doug

Todd
04-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Thats the thing Doug, is that I am not really sure what I want, but I dont want my lighting choice to preclude what I can and cannot have! I like your idea Invigor about replacing the PCs to 10 000K.

The general concept that I have had is that 'brighter is better', and that in general growth will be better with a better light. So I think that I am going to get the light, although I still think it might be kidna silly to do that as I dont have a tank yet!