PDA

View Full Version : Rio 800 pump opinions?

Samw
12-18-2001, 12:09 AM
I read good things about the Precision Marine Hot-1 skimmer so I bought one. It comes with a Rio 800 pump. Does anyone have an opinion on this pump? Should I replace it with another one? If so, which one?

[ 17 December 2001: Message edited by: Sam W ]

titus
12-18-2001, 01:26 AM
Hello Sam,

I used it to test my small prototype skimmer. It worked fantastic as far as the testing goes. However, I didn't run it after the test.

reefburnaby
12-18-2001, 01:39 AM
Hi,

I have one of those...and I think it is aweful. I built a HOT-1 skimmer and it works fine as a combine pump + venturi. However, the impeller tends to be a weak point in the design. Basically, the impeller blades is kept level via a plastic shaft. The plastic shaft sits on top of the magnet. The plastic shaft tends to wear out and cause the impeller blades to lean toward the plastic case and make a rattling noise. Over time, the noise gets worse until you either fix it or the blades break off. To fix the problem, I super glued the impeller blades to the shaft. No problems after that...until the super glue breaks off...and I have to glue it again.

So..either glue it when it starts making funky noises or get a Maxijet 1200 with turbo venturi. I have a couple of the Maxijets now...so far they are pretty good.

- Victor.

[ 17 December 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

ldzielak
12-18-2001, 02:24 AM
I have a RIO on my Remora skimmer I was runnign on my old 33, when I set it back up, I will switch to a 402, I think this will be a setup and more reliable. I did not like the RIO, every time I turned it off, for a water change, I would have to cycle it to get it to fire up correctly.

Lee

canadawest
12-19-2001, 01:21 AM
Hey Sam how do you like the PM HOT-1 so far? That is the skimmer I am looking at to replace my Prizm in the new year.

The Prizm has done wonderfully for the first year, but my bio-load is high now as the tank has become more and more stocked over the year. Also it's maturing more with more life than ever and the Prizm just can't keep up.

I am looking for the best HOT skimmer, and am leaning towards the PM HOT-1 with a Maxi-Jet 1200 w/ venturi kit.

Anyone else have opinions on HOT-style skimmers they are using, or have used?

Samw
12-19-2001, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. I might get a Maxijet 1200 then as a spare pump. Andrew, I can't give you any opinions yet of the Precision Marine skimmer as I haven't hooked it up yet. I'll let you know.