PDA

View Full Version : I wish I had listened

Ruth
04-08-2006, 03:03 AM
I was just wandering through my shed and looking at my pile of old "stuff" that I just can't seem to make myself either throw away, give away, or sell. It includes an assortment of skimmer bodies, old lights, tanks, canister filters, additives, pumps, more lights, skimmers...................blah blah blah.
One piece of advise that I really wish that I had listened to was when I was told to go big the first time - boy would I have a whole lot more money now to spend on corals etc.
I know that everyone is different in what they want to accomplish with their aquarium but from all the posts it seems that so many people get caught going too small in their tank size, skimmer size, lighting size and flow for what they eventually wish to keep in their tanks.
I guess the point of this post is just to let people know, from my own experience, that if you are just starting out or thinking of upgrading to go as big as you can afford for tank, lights, skimmer and flow.
Enough of a ramble for one night - I'll shut up now.

Willow
04-08-2006, 03:05 AM
cheer up ruth.. there is always ebay :mrgreen:

Invigor
04-08-2006, 03:33 AM
But isn't half the fun the journey it takes to get there? I agree I could have spent all that money on other things..but it's the valuable things I've learned with these "inferior" pieces of equiptment that makes it worth while for me.

Ruth
04-08-2006, 03:41 AM
Oh not doubt I have learned by my mistakes but I can't really admit to enjoying the journey - surfing through hair algea, cyno, watching xenia melt and corals die because I was not smart enough to listen to advise. Cyno.......more cyno.....did I ever say how much I hate cyno.

Xtasia
04-08-2006, 03:53 AM
Reminds me of the sponge filters I have...

Is it just me or have you noticed the uncanny similiarities of pet products and sex toys?

Must be cross over industries...

G1GY
04-08-2006, 04:16 AM
Is it just me or have you noticed the uncanny similiarities of pet products and sex toys?

Must be cross over industries...

I'm only a pet products consumer so I'll just have to take your word for this. :lol:

Invigor
04-08-2006, 04:25 AM
http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/4497.jpg

sorry, I used to work in a petstore....couldn't resist!

EmilyB
04-08-2006, 07:04 AM
:lol: And I happen to have a rock in my tank that looks just like that...although it is a little more bent.

Tom R
04-08-2006, 03:27 PM
This post seems to be going down hill fast.

(Thanks Ivy I love your sense of direction.)

Back to the subject:

Even if you the decision to go big from the beginning you still have a pile of great ideas that have now been replaced by greater ideas. This industry has continued to grow with the never ending development of better more efficient equipment that helps makes the hobby easier and more successful.
All that great equipment that your now using will have something bigger and better to replace it with tomorrow, so keep your day job you need to save your money for the next bigger and greater.

Tom R

Ruth
04-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Boy isn't that the truth Tom! I just found out that my new Bubble King 500 should be here in a couple of weeks. Whoo hoo..........oh crap I better get to work.