PDA

View Full Version : 250W MH DIY kit 4 sale (?)

AJ_77
04-03-2002, 02:25 PM
Hi Guys;

I'm looking at lighting options, and one of them would be to sell off the following:

Spider-type reflector/socket (new)
250W Iwasaki! 6500k (half-used)
Ballast for above

Does $200 sound right? (This may find its way into another forum if I go ahead, but first crack to Calgary.)

AJ

Delphinus
04-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Geez, I'm almost tempted. How come you're selling it off though? I think you should keep it, and get a second setup like that for the other side of the tank. Just my $0.02.

AJ_77
04-03-2002, 03:06 PM
Tony, BE TEMPTED.

You'd be helping me out; what I really want is a total hood - I am losing patience with my limited DIY skills. I enjoy a little sanding and staining, maybe some silicone and glass. But this whole DIY hood is more than I'm good with.

If I can sell the kit, I should be able to get what I really want. smile.gif

Thanks,
AJ

Canadian Man
04-03-2002, 05:08 PM
Alan i too am tempted as my current hood will be going on my 75g and i will build a new hood in the future for my 90g. which the plan is to have 2 250 iwasaki's.
so i would be into that light too if tony dosent want it cause he has first dibbs.

Delphinus
04-03-2002, 05:29 PM
I think it's a good deal. Jon if you want it: go for it, I won't get in your way. You could probably make use of it sooner than I could anyways. But if you don't want it I might pick it up, just in case I ever do get my cube tank going.. this is many many months away for me though, it's just a sort of "long term wishlist."

Canadian Man
04-03-2002, 06:40 PM
Alan;
How old is the bulb? When you say half used i dont understand. please expand.
I want it, will see if I can scrape up the money.
thanks

AJ_77
04-03-2002, 07:25 PM
Jon, I looked on the Eye site where the MT250DL is rated for 9000 hours. Yup, do the math, we spend WAY too much money replacing bulbs.

By saying "half", I mean the bulb has about 3300 hours on it. Hopefully I err on the side of caution. Should serve you well for awhile yet. smile.gif

I'm glad you're considering it; after seeing your wiring skills I think you are the man for the job.

AJ

Canadian Man
04-03-2002, 08:33 PM
great.
Are you in a rush to get rid of it?
Like i said i will probably take it i just have to scrape up the money and i will grab it from you.
thanks alan.

AJ_77
04-03-2002, 10:04 PM
Sounds OK, Jonathan, the next week or so? (Gives me a chance to firm up my alternate lighting purchase.)

But, as far as I can see, SOLD! Call me anytime, we'll chat. I also have a wondrous hinged and routered DIY hood that might tickle your fancy. Ready for stain - the one that puzzled me into frustration. But for you, a small challenge.

Thanks,

Alan

Canadian Man
04-04-2002, 12:48 AM
Thanks again Alan.
I forgot to get everyones # at the meeting as i started a list of calgary reefers and their email adresses.
so what is your # post or mail to me.
thanks.

AJ_77
04-04-2002, 01:00 AM
Jon: Did I mention that you rock? Of course I did.

Good idea about the contacts list. I'm good with it. YGM, buddy!

AJ ;)

Delphinus
04-04-2002, 01:08 AM
Great score!

So AJ what is the setup that you REALLY REALLY want? Details! :D

AJ_77
04-04-2002, 01:19 AM
Hamilton Tech 48" hood with 2 175W 10K MH (fine for 18" depth, yes?) and 2 FL tubes. The black aluminum finish. Asking $450.

I'm stoked.

Alan

;)

AJ_77
04-04-2002, 01:22 AM
Gonna put this post Here also.

Dudes - need a hand, maybe. This fellow in Buy-Sell thread with the $10 yellow tang... Nice specimen, good size.

Do you think one of you would baby-sit such a deal until I get my tank in order? I know, it could be a few months. But Ten Bucks??

Come on now! I'll buy it, you get a beautiful ornamental/tempermental fish for awhile. Either help me out or talk me out of it!

AJ

(yesss... cookies are gooooood...)

OH - and a beautiful Maroon Clown. Be ready for him sooner, hopefully.
Again, I am indebted to your courtesy.

Cheers!

Canadian Man
04-04-2002, 01:48 PM
Grrrrr..... :mad: :( :mad:
Quite frustrating but I will not be able to afford to purchase the light from you Alan.
sorry i should not have jumped so soon. It is a wonderful deal but i just can't swing it so Tony if your out there in computer land it's yours.
Sorry again Alan.
Thanks

AJ_77
04-04-2002, 02:38 PM
UH - oh... Told the guy I'd take the other one.

Tony?

AJ_77
04-04-2002, 03:34 PM
Jon: borrow the money from "the Breadwinner."
AKA Pug_Girl smile.gif
I'm confident you'll be able to work something out. Use the 'sad puppy' look.

Not even funny, sorry Jon. I don't mind you backing out, if you can't, you can't. I have a very viable option as Delphinus pointed out: stay with the 250's and make another one later.

BUT, that leaves me with my DIY nightmare. Anyone willing to help me out? Electricity scares me...

AJ ;)

[ 04 April 2002, 11:42: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Delphinus
04-04-2002, 09:28 PM
Man, that is a tough call. The problem is I really wouldn't be using it right away and I think I really need to be diverting the funds to getting my 75g finalized since it's been half-finished for ... well too many months to count. But let me ask my own boss. Of course it doesn't help with DeepBlueSea tantalizing us all with that AMAZING looking tank. Dang! Quick -- buy a lotto ticket! Need $2500 FAST!

Tell you what: if you decide to keep the unit yourself, let's see what we can do with the DIY hood. Do you have yourself a wooden box over the tank already? If not, here is what we can do. We buy ourselves a 4x8 oak plywood sheet from HD for $60, and we get HD to cut it into the required pieces (It's like $0.50 per cut and they have a WAY cool saw). At that point we mate the pieces together, get the hinges etc. for the door and put it together. Methinks it shouldn't take more than a half day to get to this point, and after that it's a just question of staining sanding and varnishing which shouldn't take too many days. Depending on how much time you have of course. Then it's just a matter of mounting the halide pieces in and wiring them up. Maybe we can make it a club project, I don't know. Personally I think this sort of thing is kinda fun, but then again it is entirely possible there is something wrong with me and I have a warped sense of "fun" :cool: tongue.gif

Whaddaya say?

AJ_77
04-04-2002, 09:59 PM
What a cool offer! You also rock.

I have an 8" tall 3/4" G1S plywood box - 2 piece hinged DIY hood. It rests on the outer edge of the tank top.

BUT - I'm stumped as to how to make it 4" taller to fit the MH reflector. My bro' said, make a 4" box (3-sided) same size as tank top, use molding to snug it onto tank. This mimics that cap and provides the new, taller support for the DIY hood.

Can you see it? Let's do it!

AJ

Delphinus
04-04-2002, 11:02 PM
Hmmmm I think I need to see this ... can you post or email some pics?

What about replacing the sides with two taller pieces? Or is that not an option?

Canadian Man
04-05-2002, 12:00 AM
Alan
i could very easily make it 4 inches taller. you just need some of the same thickness of wood that you currently have. i am the king of "make it work"
should be no problem.

AJ_77
04-05-2002, 12:19 AM
OK! Here's some pics:

http://www.itpro1.com/hood1.jpg
http://www.itpro1.com/hood2.jpg
http://www.itpro1.com/hood3.jpg

The 1x1 strips with screws dangling out are the rests - they sit atop the tank frame, the box nestles outside the rim.

My idea was to have the new extension line up with the 1x1 rests, and simply raise the whole lid, which is hinged in the middle.

AJ

[ 04 April 2002, 20:20: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Delphinus
04-05-2002, 01:46 AM
I've got a real "DUH" kind of question ... is your front plane fixed or is it part of the hinged part so that it opens?

If it is not part of the hinged part ... are you planning to have the only way in and out for maintenance etc. from the top? Alternatively if it is part of the door what will come of it once the whole assembly is raised?

It seems to me your idea should work ... what I would be tempted to do is ... oh crap I don't know how to describe this. make a sort of step so that there is a piece that is flush with the outside and a piece on the inside that is raised that would butt up against the 2x2's. If I understand you correctly this is sort of what you're thinking of? To make this new piece I would take two pieces of wood and glue them together to make this assembly, and then either just screw or glue this to the hood.

Don't listen to me .... I have no idea what I'm talking about!

AJ_77
04-05-2002, 02:00 AM
Tony:
A 3-sided box that matches the dimensions of the tank cap will be held on with a molding of sorts. The front piece, rather than block access to the open tank, will be attached to the front panel of the DIY hood.

The hood is hinged near the middle - sort of like Jamie Cross' at http://members.shaw.ca/jcross1/system.htm
except his is much neater, and hinged near the front.

Clear as mud? Jon helped me think it through on the phone tonight. BTW, you've got mail. I needed the footprint on your skimmer. 6.5" sound right?

AJ smile.gif

Canadian Man
04-05-2002, 04:04 AM
In lieu of the fact that i am not taking the light i could most definatley help you with """ELECTRICITY"""" :eek:
I have no problems with helping you with your wiring.
I all ready asked pug_girl and no luck.

Delphinus
04-05-2002, 12:39 PM
Well sounds like you're set then... Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out.

AJ_77
04-05-2002, 01:18 PM
Jon offered to come over Sunday night and help out, if it works for both of us. Mind you, there's woodwork AND wiring. If I could get the materials together, we may have a work bee on our hands. smile.gif

If you like, you're certainly more than welcome. Bob is also 5 minutes away, and Kim I plan to see Saturday (sand day).

AJ