PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a...

Skimmer Juice
04-08-2006, 12:58 AM
I was just at riverfront and bought a blue boxfish.I now alot about them and I always wanted one.I already own a yellow cubicous and a longhorn cow.So I figured I have a free tank with nothing in it.Asked the guy at riverfront not to use a net to catch him.He went to ask the girl at the front and she said not to worry about it and used the net to scoop him up.I felt like slapping the two, everyone knows not to use your net to catch boxfish especialy a blue one.So needless to say I will not buy there ever again you should always respect the customers opinion.If you cant catch it with out stressing out than they should let you catch it your self.They did not even mention anything about this fish to me before buying, it's really toxic and can wipe out a whole tank, things like that.Just wanted to vent,nothing against the store but they should atleast have an employee there that is more knowledgable than the customer.Blue boxfish are probably one of the hardest fish to get to live in a tank there should be faq's there for the fish's sake.

Invigor
04-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Did you mention to the girl at the front why it was a bad idea to catch this fish with a net?

Skimmer Juice
04-08-2006, 01:27 AM
Yeah thats what I said you should not use the net and she said dont worry about it and before I knew it he was bagged up.

dunl
04-08-2006, 02:18 AM
For next time:

"I'll will only buy him if you don't use a net to catch him."

midgetwaiter
04-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Hi Stinky,

I work part time at Riverfront and there's a couple quick things I wanted to say.

First, to maybe help smooth out any concerns you may have about your new purchase. I have quite a bit of experience with different tetrodonta and while I am familiar with the "don't use a net" ideas I don't put much stock in them. For the most common concern I fail to see how being efficiently netted and bagged is any more stressful for a fish than being herded around into some kind of container. It takes forever to do it that way sometimes and they are not dumb, they know what is going on. As for potential skin damage, I have never seen that happen with a boxfish, puffer or other scaleless fish. This is another one of those net.myths that plagues our hobby and causes angst and misunderstandings. It's very unlikely your fish will experience any detriment due to the way it was handled

However as you said your concern should have been addressed by explaining the situation and giving you the option of how you wanted the fish handled.

So I'd like to apologize for this and let you know that I will discuss this with the owner and the employees involved the next time I am in the store. If you have any further concerns please feel free to post or PM me.