PDA

View Full Version : Soaking in Garlic

Jaws
04-07-2006, 06:01 PM
I have a Powder Blue Tang that was eating at the fish store but so far has not showed any interest in food in his new home. Just when I think he might be showing interest, my yellow tang takes a run at him and scares him away. I've heard a few suggestions about soaking in garlic to try and tempt a fish to eat but I'm not sure what process is used. I have a jar full of minced garlic that has quite a bit of liquid in it as well. Could I soak some nori in that or would you recommend something else. Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well. I know these fish can be very finicky but he's very healthy, very active, and was eating at the fish store so I thought I'd take a chance. I have a 180G tank so lack of room is not an issue.

niloc16
04-07-2006, 06:13 PM
you could also try to feed with just actinic's on or lights off during the day and may help him to be more confident to eat. i had an anthias with same problem and so i feed all the others and then turn the lights off and feed him and eventually he would battle along side the rest for feeding. good luck

colin

Beverly
04-07-2006, 06:14 PM
IME, fish have to be trained to eat food soaked in garlic. They do not automatically sense the smell of garlic as "hey, food!", since garlic is not part of their natural diet. Once trained, however, they certainly eat garlic-soaked foods with gusto.

With two tangs, one of them longer in the tank than the other and quite territorial over the entire tank, I would try putting out two clips with nori on them on opposite sides of the tank. Better still, try to put the second clip of nori out of sight of the original clip where the YT usually eats. That way, the YT will not see the other tang trying to eat and may not bother it.

If that doesn't work, reaquascape the tank so both fish are in new surroundings and the YT may not be as territorial.

FYI, these are just suggestions based on my experiences with territorial fish in general. I have never kept two tangs in one tank.

Jaws
04-07-2006, 06:26 PM
I've tried the two nori clips and the yellow tang tries to protect both of them even though they are at separate ends of the tank. I always feed in the morning with actinics on and then again in the evening with all the lights on. I just reaquascaped too. The Powder Blue is quite a bit larger than the yellow tang which intimidated the yellow for the first couple days but not so much now. The PB has only been in the tank for just under a week so it still might be a little early to worry at this point but I want to make sure I do everything possible to ensure his survival. I might set up a QT tank for a couple weeks so direct feeding is easier. Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else?

Ruth
04-07-2006, 08:06 PM
I have a Yellow Tang in my 230g that is a real SOB as far as agression goes - it's actually by SOB tank because I also have a dottyback that acts ignorant as well.
When I have tried to introduce fish in the past what I have had to do is to build a box or cage out of egg crate (roughly 20" X 20" X 15") and put the new fish in there for a week or more until until the YT got used to it. It worked to get my Hippo Tang in there but did not work with my Moorish Idol. Fortunately I had another large tank for the MI. Ideally you would want to catch the resident fish and put it in the cage but in my case it was impossible so I ended up putting the new fish in there and feeding it separately. Like I say the YT eventually ignored the Hippo that it wanted to kill but never did take to the MI.
Anyway just a suggestion until your PBT makes itself King.

naesco
04-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Use dry flake food or nori as it will absorb more garlic than frozen or moist food.

Add the flake to a jar lid and squish some garlic and place the squished liquid in the lid. After 20 minutes the flake will soak up the liquid and add to the flow in your tank

If there is aggression feed from both ends of your tank.