PDA

View Full Version : If you had an extra 33 gallon...

Diana
04-05-2006, 04:16 PM
What would you put in it?

We want salt... but no reef (have 2), no seahorses (have them), no lion fish (getting them), and are restricted to that tank size.

Hmmm.... we just cant think of anything neat to put in there!

Suggestions? :D

-Diana + Raf

MobyDick
04-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Dragon Sea Moth
(Eurypegasus draconis)

or

Pinkface Wrasse
(Thalassoma quinquevittatum)

Willow
04-05-2006, 04:21 PM
mangroves

naesco
04-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Live rock with macroalgae with a few small fish

Murminator
04-05-2006, 04:40 PM
A saltwater planted tank?, with different decorative algaes. Mantis tank? Frag tank? lobster tank? coldwater tank? sponge tank?.....

Matt
04-05-2006, 05:36 PM
A while ago, there was a thread about a display 'fuge -- all algae and pods. I love the look of a refugium, so I might do that if I were looking for something different. A species tank like an anenome tank can also look amazing -- there was an RC TOTM (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/totm/index.php) that was all anenomes, and it looked wild.

On the other hand, I might also use it as a frag grow-out tank, or a QT.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-05-2006, 05:57 PM
A Bangaii cardinal breeding tank, with just a pair or more of Bangaii & a long spined urchin. Then if they breed, you can see the fry swim into hide among the urchin spines. That'd be cool I think.

Anthony

OCDP
04-05-2006, 05:58 PM
That would be very cool Anthony. Good call.

Kabong
04-05-2006, 06:08 PM
You could also sell the Bangaii fry and get a little extra cash back from the hobby.

Samw
04-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Another idea is to go with various shrimp/goby pairs. I can't do it in my main reef now because the shrimps dig up sand and make caves all over the place. There are several shrimp/goby configurations so maybe have 3 or 4 different pairs. Also, I'd like a jawfish.

Quagmire
04-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Mantis Shrimp :)

Diana
04-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Awesome suggestions guys! Keep em coming!

I'd love to do a planted saltwater tank, but my 20 gallon reef is verging on one... what with so much macro in it.

I'll talk over the idea of bangaii cardinals with raf, he might just go for it (its going to be in his new place).

We're thinking like 1 "main" fish in the tank or something like that, like a dwarf lionfish (but we are setting up another tank for lions). Having the tank specialized for a particular fish or invert or something like that. We want a mantis too but are thinking of a smaller tank for one... that way if it breaks the glass then its not so much water to clean up :P

So many possibilities!
:D
-Diana

Ruth
04-06-2006, 02:46 AM
I'm with Sam on this one. I love the shrimp/gobie pairing. I have one pair in my 44g cube and just think it is so neat. The pistol shrimp it is paired with is a mean SOB though - he has tagged me a couple of time when I was too close to it's burrow. I have a jawfish in my 12g nano and they are just simply beautiful fish. Hmmm........I have a 20g kicking around ....maybe just a shrimp/gobie tank.

smellsfishy
04-06-2006, 03:25 AM
bamboo shark, better yet hatch it from an egg. of course you would have to start saving for your tank size upgrades.
seahorses with a slight lean in the regugium are, would be awesome for that size but requires knowledge and research for proper husbandtry

smellsfishy
04-06-2006, 03:28 AM
oops forgot to mention get 2 seahorses and breed them

Bartman
04-06-2006, 04:32 AM
Sounds like you've got a fair amount of tropical stuff now. What about a Pacific Northwest tank? You could collect your own specimens from tide pools locally or on the Island. There are some very cool tank examples at the Vanc. Aquarium. You might need a small chiller though.... :)

Diana
04-06-2006, 05:05 PM
oops forgot to mention get 2 seahorses and breed them

Guess you didn't see in my original post.... already got them ;)

Bartman, we tried a local tank last summer but it turned into just a cool tidepool tank due to the fact that we didn't have a chiller, and I shut it down around september to make it into a planted tank. I would love to try one again, but I'll have to invest in a chiller and a custom tank with thick acrylic to prevent sweating. :D I'm actually thinking of setting one up outside around the side of the house that doens't get any sun.... we'll see.

Ruth, in my 20 gallon I have a pistol shrimp. Twice he's had a goby friend but they end up disappearing a few weeks later. I have no clue where they go, but once I found one 'stunned' by his borrow... then he dragged it in and ate it. Its a twisted killer shrimp! But I cant get it out so I cant add another pair :(

We are stumped as to what to do with the tank. Some excellent ideas though, and dang now I want to set up more tanks. :P

-Diana