PDA

View Full Version : Dual 65g Reef system

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-05-2006, 07:50 AM
So after my wife bought her piano, she insisted that the 6' 110g reef tank had to go into the other room. Lots of extra work & expense but in the end, I have my own sw fish room. Yeeehaaaaa!! Now I have my corals in separate 65g tanks with separate water systems.

The first picture shows both tanks under my 6' Aqualight Pro.

The second is the Left side LPS/SPS/clam 65g tank.

The third is the Right side Softies & some high nutrient LPS 65g tank.

The last two are some new corals I bought or traded for recently.

Anthony

hockey nut
04-05-2006, 08:24 AM
looks good

scotchy
04-05-2006, 09:20 AM
That looks awesome. What a sweet idea putting the two tanks side by side like that. I like it.

Scott

Ruth
04-05-2006, 12:42 PM
That looks great Anthony. Are those new corals the result of your recent shopping spree?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Yup. I bought a few more but you're very limited on how many pics you can post I find with this new program. Still trying to figure out how to post pictures & not just links.

I bought one 3' 65g at Boxing Day, then I kept thinking that I have a 6' light, I should get a second one. (so I did)

Chin Lee drilled the second one & I bought the glass precut from Candu glass & siliconed the overflow box. Tomr came over & showed me how to plumb in the overflow to my 50g sump/refugium & I have a 40w Lifeguard UV on my return, using a mag7 pump.

I'm upgrading to an ASM-G3 skimmer & moving the Tunze 230 to the 20g above tank sump/fuge that has a Maxijet900 pumping up into it so the pods are gravity fed back into the softies tank.

Took a while for me to go from total KISS system to a plumbed reef but I love the new setup.

Highly recommend the overflow/sump/fuge system for anyone thinking of setting up a reef.

Anthony

Anthony

OCDP
04-05-2006, 05:27 PM
That's pretty cool! Looks great

OCDP
04-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Hey Anthony, are there any fish in those tanks ? :razz: I can't see any really. Minus the clowns.. perhaps I'm blind.

Skimmer Juice
04-06-2006, 07:23 PM
That is a really cool idea looks great.You should put a blue boxfish in one of those tanks:biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Yeah, a blue boxfish. He'll love the clams & corals.

I have a royal gramma in with the two ocellaris.

In the sps/lps, I have a mated pair of gold striped maroons, a yellow tang & powder blue tang & a yellow watchman goby.

Unfortunately, I'm at my max. for fish for now. I may catch out the yt & switch it into the softies tank so the pb (ick-magnet) stays in the tank with the 40w UV. I'll be upgrading my skimmer on the lps/sps tank this weekend (hopefully).

Anthony

Ruth
04-06-2006, 11:18 PM
I'll be upgrading my skimmer on the lps/sps tank this weekend (hopefully).

Anthony

Is that before or after the wife comes home? :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Paid for it last week. Hoping to get it installed tomorrow & she comes back Saturday. She knows about the upgrade but I convinced her that I sold my other skimmer & some other fish related stuff (tanks & frags & macro) & will be using that money to pay for the new skimmer. Hehehehe. I forgot to mention my other purchases while she was off in Malaysia.

Anthony

<edit> Dang. Just got an email saying that my stuff won't be here till Monday, after she's back. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Tom R
04-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Hi Anthony

The tanks look great. Putting the 2 tanks side by side will give you a lot of options. I know that you will love your new ASM C3 as they are a great skimmer. I have the ASM C5 and it outworks any skimmer I have ever owned. They are so easy to clean less than 5 minutes and wow they take a pile of crap out of the tank in no time at all. I did make one change to the skimmer, I added the gate valve option shown in the options link at asmskimmer.com. This made quick work of the noise from the water falling from the return to the sump.

Tom R