PDA

View Full Version : My 50g Cube Diary (kind of)

OCDP
04-04-2006, 02:57 PM
It's not going to be so much a diary, more like... the progress in getting it ready. Basically I'll just be switching over the contents of my 20 gallon tank to the new one.

Funny story, actually.. no it's not. I went to Gold's last night to pick up the new cube... I had asked my dad before hand "Do you think a 24x24x20 tank will fit in the back of a Neon?" he replys with "oh yeah! no problemo" errrr, wrong :lol: So, unfortunately we couldn't make it back on time with the van. So I'll be going tonight to grab it. The tank looks much bigger than 50g IMO, and I am looking forward to getting it home and setting it up.

First , I'll need to build me a stand. I am hoping to get all the supplies for that by the weekend or early into next week.

I was wondering if you all could take a look over this list of things I'll need to make a successful transfer. I want to do this right, with a good plan set ahead of time so I don't run into any big problems.

Here's the list I have right now:

- The tank! (got it)
- A Stand.
- Piece of styrafoam between tank & stand.
- Few more pounds of Live Rock (depending)
- More sand (I might just buy a brand new bag and use that instead, toss the old out) [also considering BB right now]
- Bigger, better heater [ebo? 2x100w or 2x150w?]
- Couple more buckets. [maybe two 10g buckets?]
- Possibly another Seio 620. I am using two 620's right now and doubt that will be sufficient for a bigger tank.

Hmm, I think that's it for now. Please feel free to make suggestions and add things you may think I have forgotten from the list. I will be snapping a few pictures tonight after I pick up the tank.

Cheers.

Beermaster
04-04-2006, 04:47 PM
That must have really sucked Scott, but cant wait to see the progress of your new cube!

OCDP
04-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Haha, yeah it sucked. Thankfully the LFS isn't too far from home.

It was funny, because the neighbourhood where the LFS is located is kind of .. hmm.... not sure what word to use here. Not good lol. So me and an LFS employee were at the back of the store trying to shove this tank into a car ... looked like we were trying to steal it! hahah.

digital-audiophile
04-04-2006, 05:28 PM
If you need a hand picking up the tank Scott, let me know, it would fit in the back of my SUV no problem.

OCDP
04-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Hey, thanks a lot for the offer Greg.. I really appreciate that.

My Mom drives a minivan though, so we'll be good to go if we use that this time around lol

Again, thanks for your offer. Really appreciate it.

fishmanty
04-04-2006, 10:12 PM
It didn't fit? Not even in the back seat or passenger seat? whenever i have to put stuff on the seats, i just find a way to wrap a seatbelt around it and buckle it up. I must look idiotic to other motorists.

Last year we jammed a 75gallon in a volvo... Now that was a tight fit.

BMW Rider
04-04-2006, 10:31 PM
If you want some buckets, I have three or four of the big salt ones.

OCDP
04-04-2006, 10:41 PM
No, the tank is too wide to fit through the doors. We tried haha.

Ed, I may take you up on that offer :wink: If not, I'll just buy a few buckets when I'm at Rona or Home Depot. Thanks !

OCDP
04-05-2006, 02:49 AM
Update: Got the tank home. Too tired & lazy to snap any pics tonight :sleeping: . I will for sure tomorrow, also picked me up a new Crocea clam.

OCDP
04-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Howdy,

Well.. a bit of change in plans. My dad figures we should leave a new stand alone for now... for what reason, I dunno. But whatever.. I'm cool with that. Instead he thinks we should just simply add to the existing stand, and brace the bottoms. It may look a tad ghettoish, but I don't care lol. This way, we can do this as early as tomorrow, or today.. and then I can start the switch over.

Now.. I want to do this without problems, so.. for all of you who have done tank switchovers, can you guide me through a good step-by-step procedure?

I am going to be buying a couple rubber maid containers for corals and one for the fish. I will aerate the both of them. (note to self: buy air tubing :lol: ) I will first start off by making 2 or 3 buckets of saltwater. I'll be buying more buckets.. I have a list of what I need at the top of the page.

So, I will need to switch it all over in the matter of the day, no longer. So, I was thinking, take all the corals out, place them in a rubber maid, then.. take the rock out in the two buckets I currently have. Clean the rocks well, and place them into a rubber maid. Take the fish out once all rocks are out, place in rubbermaid.

From there on in, it's pretty easy eh... just take the sand out (I am going BB, if I change my mind, I can add sand later) and presto, I have an empty 20g tank.

I guess it will just be a matter of filling the new tank up after that, and starting to re-stock.

Sorry, I guess it was easier just typing it out as is. But , it's all pretty mumbo jumobo ramble, so feel free to add to it or make any corrections.

Hmm, oh yeah.. I'll take a picture of the tank today as well.

Quagmire
04-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Remember to put heaters in with the livestock.And maybe a pwr head.

OCDP
04-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Heh, good call! I'll use one of my Seio's for that. Thanks for the reminder :smile:

OCDP
04-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Here are a few shots of the tank. I have no clue if the bottle helps give you any size reference... but it looks way bigger than 50g IMO..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/OCDP2005/IMGP1487Small.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/OCDP2005/IMGP1488Small.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/OCDP2005/IMGP1489Small.jpg

Cheers.

Johnny Reefer
04-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Is that The Invisible Man checking out your new tank? :).

Cheers :),