PDA

View Full Version : Instant Ocean Salt

ldzielak
12-18-2001, 03:48 PM
This is the only salt I have ever used, it's the standard, not the reef salt. I'm at the bottom 1/4 of a 200g bucket. The past 2 water changes, something in the salt has not dissolved. I is white and milky and has clouded my tank twice now. Checked the Alk and Calcium of some really milky sample and got 370 calciuma and dosed 2 ml of titrant for the alk test with no color change before I gave up. Any one else have this problem?? I'm thinking of getting a new salt and using this last 1/4 on the drive way.

I will be checking tank parameters once the water goes clean again.

ldzielak
12-19-2001, 12:24 AM
Victor,

My salt is for the most part still in granular form, the odd chunk. I have a 17 gallon sterilite container that I have a Kent float/topoff system in the side. I simply connect it to my RO/DI system and let it fill up. When I have about 2 inches of water level I turn my heater and power head on and add 7 cups of salt. The next morning I have water to temp and salt mixed and water aireated. This bucket I just purchased back in October when setting up my 120.

Lee

reefburnaby
12-19-2001, 01:22 AM
Lee,

Hmmm...sounds fine. I have found that if the water becomes snowy when I mix saltwater, I have added too much salt and the calcium levels are oversaturated (i.e. they precipitate out). So, I would try adding 5 cups of salt and measure the calcium levels/salinity of the new salt water.

- Victor.

reefburnaby
12-19-2001, 04:18 AM
Hi,

Has the salt harden to big clumps ? Do you pour water in to the salt or do you put salt in to the water ?

- Victor.