PDA

View Full Version : Started another exspensive hobby

kuatto
04-04-2006, 07:38 AM
Went and picked up a couple of 1/8 scale nitro powered rc buggies,been wanting one for years.I figured since I was retired now,I would get myself a little retirement gift:).I cant wait untill tommorow when I get to run one of them and see if I can keep it in one peice.Anyone else in Edmonton into gas rc cars? Maybe get togather and do a few laps around?
Oh....if Krisdeann asks,I bought them for the kids!!..:)

Ruth
04-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Well that is cool! I always think it is neat when someone get a chance to do something they have always wanted to. I have horses and they are a big expense as well particularly as I want to get into cattle cutting so am going to need a new horse and a wheelbarrow full of $$$$$$$$

Beermaster
04-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Jim, that is one thing i have always wanted myself, i have a couple Elec cars that are raceready

but have always wanted the bigboy toy

Murminator
04-04-2006, 04:04 PM
I got a couple electrics RC 10 truck and buggy both with blown speed controllers that I just never replaced

mark
04-04-2006, 08:01 PM
I bought the kid a electric car for his birthday:wink: (and yes I got him other stuff as well).

BMW Rider
04-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Its always good to have a backup plan in case you find yourself with extra cash on hand and no way to blow it on the tank. One would hate to have to spend it wisely or invest it. :lol: :lol:

fishmanty
04-04-2006, 10:06 PM
:P I got 3 myself, though getting very out dated...

It amazing how much money it costs to run even one eh? The controllers when I got them a couple years ago were over $120 each! Bah!

Calgary had, and maybe still has a track up north where races gather every sunday or second sunday and race with heats for different types and such. Its pretty cool.

props
04-04-2006, 11:37 PM
wait till you get into rc helicopters =o(

G1GY
04-05-2006, 03:07 AM
Went and picked up a couple of 1/8 scale nitro powered rc buggies,been wanting one for years.I figured since I was retired now,I would get myself a little retirement gift:).I cant wait untill tommorow when I get to run one of them and see if I can keep it in one peice.Anyone else in Edmonton into gas rc cars? Maybe get togather and do a few laps around?
Oh....if Krisdeann asks,I bought them for the kids!!..:)

Too bad I didn't know you where getting into R/C. I was just toying with the idea of putting my heavily modded Savage into the buy and sell. R/C is a great hobby also, I've been into it for a very long time. :)

This was the first year out of the last five or so that my buddies and I didn't run at Monster Jam. :(

kuatto
04-05-2006, 04:39 AM
Well,I learned what happens when you plug the glow plug starter into the wrong plug on the starter box,you blow glow plugs,yep,only took 4 before I caught on($10 each)
After finally fixing that problem,I cant seem to keep it running,I need help.

G1GY
04-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Well,I learned what happens when you plug the glow plug starter into the wrong plug on the starter box,you blow glow plugs,yep,only took 4 before I caught on($10 each)
After finally fixing that problem,I cant seem to keep it running,I need help.

If you ever come to Calgary, bring a car and I'll show you how to tune it fast and easy. Do you have an infra-red temp gun? Would be a great thing to get if you don't already have one. :)

smellsfishy
04-06-2006, 04:15 AM
have a mirage thundertiger i haven't started since i started with the fish's, i do believe you have inspired, a former ground pounder/ mini motor head. thanks, oh yeah i bought mine for The Kids too. wink wink.

kuatto
04-07-2006, 12:59 AM
I just had it for a run and all I can say is wow!!This thing is faster then I was exspecting.I can see me and my son having alot of fun with these cars.I looked at the new Hellfire and think after I get use to driving my GS Storm,I'll be getting one of those bad boys.:)

smellsfishy
04-07-2006, 01:44 AM
OH OH you got the bug man, say goodbye to the contents of you wallet. HAHA just kidding.
one thing i found usefull is to buy spare parts anything that sticks out and vulnerable for destruction, just imagine what would be destroyed after it runs into a telephone post full out and buy that part. this way you don't have to wait for parts or call it a day after one run, like control arms etc.. Parts are cheap and waiting sucks. turns out i have to wait for a servo rebuild kit i'm so bumed.

kuatto
04-07-2006, 05:26 AM
Oh yea,the bug has bit!!I didn't do too bad for prices so far.I picked up 2 GS Storm 1/8 nitro buggies for $400 came with a box of extras and upgraded motors,shocks and pipes.Then another $350 for battery box and all the start up tools and fuel.I just need another radio and servos to run the other car.I even installed a fail safe so it stops when it gets away from me.Can't wait untill morning :)

smellsfishy
04-07-2006, 02:32 PM
not bad. i just used a spring on the throttle servoto prefent runnaway. i'm sure the are more common now but do yourself a favor and buy an fm 3ch based radio faster responce time. and get a heat gauge engine sleeve and pistons a $$$y

kuatto
04-08-2006, 04:01 AM
I was just thinking about a temp gauge to see what the engine runs at.I had a good run today,found a local monster truck bashing spot,lots of jumps.I would love to have a radar gun just to see how fast it really is on the straight.I definitlyhave to get the other car running,just so I can have someone to run with.

mark
04-08-2006, 03:07 PM
There's been advertisements from Mattel Hot Wheels for a radar gun.

Can't figure how they can offer a functional radar gun free for $50 of purchases but works on TV.

kuatto
04-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Seen the website,told Krisdeann I have to have it,just so I know for sure if the car does 50mph :)
Learned a costly lesson today,don't let strangers drive your car:( A liitle guy came over all excited and asks if he could try the car,said ok,but I'll help you.While helping control the car,he ran it full speed(about 50)into a concrete wall....well he was sorry and I couldnt get mad at him,told him I could fix it.After a couple of hours of switching frontend parts from the second car,its all better.Now have to replace a full front suspension($$$)on the other car(I told Krisdeann,shouldn't be too pricey :) )

G1GY
04-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Seen the website,told Krisdeann I have to have it,just so I know for sure if the car does 50mph :)

45 to maybe 48 mph is what you'll get. The 50 mph that the mfg's come up with is a good run at sea levell. (Unless you've done some serious mod's.)

Buccaneer
04-10-2006, 11:12 PM
wait till you get into rc helicopters =o(

The local RC group was in Southcentre mall this weekend recruiting ... they had a couple choppers and planes on display

The choppers are really what interested me the most :)

I was tempted but I really have to finish my tank/basement first

kuatto
05-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Well,I guess I'm hooked:).I just bought an XRAY XB8 buggy and pre-ordered the larger 1/5 HPI Baja 5B.The best thing about the Baja is its gas(23cc eng),no messing with nitro and glow plugs,just gas and go.This buggy is huge at nearly 3 ft and 20+ pounds.Should be a blast to run:)

TheReefGeek
05-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Thats a lot of cars for one radio to handle. :)

Skimmerking
05-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Jim your retired OMg you are old fella. I just got offered IPS im good til 55 now or until they peeve me off.

Back to work finally after 3 months of doing nothing waitiing for the back to heal up.. and then its 1/2 days until June 15th

muck
05-04-2006, 07:28 PM
IPS.... does that stand for Im a Pretend Soldier..?? :razz:

kuatto
05-04-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm actually semi-retired,I'll go nuts just sitting at home,so figure I'll take the summer off and then go to work at something.Heck if I stay home any longer Krisdeann will hang me,spending way too much with this new hobby:)....but I keep telling her....its for the boy!:)(she just hasn't figured its me and not my son)

Pescador
05-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Yeah R/C, fly-fishing and reef tanks are there any more expensive hobbies?

I used to race 1/10 electric truck pretty seriously but the expense of competing with factory drivers got out of control.

I just got a Kyosho one-metre sailboat to build when I recover from surgery to add to a collection of 2 gas trucks, gas car, 3 electric trucks, electric boat, heli, electric plane and another sailboat.

Well I guess I could be a golfer that would add up as well.
Still you can drop a grand on a good fly rod and reel.

Any one up for some truck bashing around McKenzie in a couple months?

whaase
05-04-2006, 07:58 PM
That's funny, that's the same excuse I used when i bought mine too!

Walter

I'm actually semi-retired,I'll go nuts just sitting at home,so figure I'll take the summer off and then go to work at something.Heck if I stay home any longer Krisdeann will hang me,spending way too much with this new hobby:)....but I keep telling her....its for the boy!:)(she just hasn't figured its me and not my son)

kuatto
05-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Its that time of year to start another favorite hobby....fly fishing :) ...heck with all these new hobbies,who's got tome for a job :)

G1GY
05-12-2006, 01:29 AM
Its that time of year to start another favorite hobby....fly fishing :) ...heck with all these new hobbies,who's got tome for a job :)

Don't call my religion a hobby please!!!

Fly fishing is a spiritual thing. :) (Now if I can only get my wife to reallize that the river is actualy my church.) :)

Murminator
05-14-2006, 01:25 AM

Yes, yes there is

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/Murminator/800.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/Murminator/100_1332.jpg

kuatto
05-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks alot Murray!! Krisdeann seen the sled and wants one:)
I found the trick to any to any hobby is to buy two! We now have 2 helicopters,2 1/8 scale nitro buggies,2 1/18 scale electric stadium trucks and 2 micro electrics.Once you involve your spouse in your hobbies,you have it made....:)

Quinster
05-30-2006, 07:18 PM

Ya there are many more hobbies that can cost more....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Quinster/Cars/MVC-007F.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Quinster/Cars/Hpim0440.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Quinster/Cars/0705-005F.jpg

I'm actually semi-retired,I'll go nuts just sitting at home......Heck if I stay home any longer Krisdeann will hang me,spending way too much with this new hobby

I fixed the problem by getting my wife hooked too....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Quinster/Cars/Picture003.jpg