PDA

View Full Version : who would be into meeting once a month?

Canadian Man
03-08-2002, 02:05 AM
I am going to go ahead and try to organize our fellow reefers together for a monthly meeting.
so please answer the following questions.
1. what day works best for you? i know we all have diffrent schedules but i was thinking 1st sunday evening of the month kinda thing.
2. what whould everyone like to see/acomplish with a reefclub as per say?
3. this kinda ties into the previous question; would you like to swap/sell frags to fellow reefers at these meetings?
4. i offer my house as the 1st meeting place, but i feel we should spread it around as we all like to see other systems. so is your house/apartment/cave availiable?

thats about it. feel free to mail me your responses but please post what you mail to me on here so other calgarians can see your intrest in this as well.
Lets make this work.
cheers jonathan
235-6467 if you want to talk to me.

Bob I
03-08-2002, 12:20 PM
Well I am in. Selling and trading frags would be good, but also teaching others how to would be good. I do not know how to make frags. Another reason would be for group orders to get around the ridiculous prices our dealers charge. Also getting ideas on DIY projects would be useful. Maybe selling or trading used equipment would be useful, I have a Prizm skimmer that is just sitting around and I would like to get rid of it. I would be happy to host a meeting, but my place is usually a disaster because I have few visitors. BTW fro May until the end od September I will be gone on weekends. :D

[ 08 March 2002, 08:29: Message edited by: Bob Ipema ]

Delphinus
03-08-2002, 01:43 PM
Cheers Jonathan. Count me in as well.

I guess if I had a preference on a day, I'd say not a Friday or a Saturday evening. A Sunday evening/afternoon thing would work for me.

As for goals ... Well personally just to get together and gab, see where everyone else is at or what they're doing, to learn new ideas and stuff like that. And it'd be a good opportunity to see if anyone wants whatever you want to get rid of, so naturally trading/selling/buying livestock and used equipment.

I offer my place too as a gathering point ... maybe at the moment it's a little chaotic (hence my reluctance to host the "first" gathering) but I hope to have things settled out pretty soon. Unfortunately I am in the DeepSouth(tm) so that would make it a miserable trek for those who live the FarNorth(tm).

AJ_77
03-08-2002, 03:21 PM
Any room for newbies?

1st choice: Tues/Thurs evenings
2nd choice: Sunday evening (got kids, wife)

May have capacity to host eventually (far NW)

AJ

Canadian Man
03-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Great replies everyone!
Aj_77 of course there is room that's what's this is all about.
I agree with bob, many people will probably learn stuff just if we get together.
as far as times go well i suggested sunday evenings cause i am allways offwork at 5:30 but i suppose a day durring the week would be great. so far Tursday evening sounds good. i am sure we can all organize our schedules enough to work this out for 1 day a month.
so keep the ideas comming but most importantly i want feed back from the others that our in calgary. so if you know of anyone else that has not replied to this post, get them to come take a look and put in their opinion.
Edit; oh for got to add this, as far as areas go i am in deep sw, same as tony. so i would assume it would be a great idea to go to other members houses everytime to mix it up. Eg, Sw 1 month Nw another month.
Thanks all
Jonathan

[ 08 March 2002, 11:51: Message edited by: Canadian Man ]

Canadian Man
03-09-2002, 07:17 PM
No one else?????
come on i know there are more than 4 of us in calgary. ;)

VDHD
03-09-2002, 07:43 PM
Yeah I'd be into it I think.. Even though I don't have much in the way of reef knowledge, yet, I think it would be a great resource for all of us just to get together and share ideas.

I'm not sure of a day of the week, however, I guess It'll be a wait and see for now.

Canadian Man
03-09-2002, 08:24 PM
VDHD
Thats great that you dont have alot of knowledge cause i guarantee we would all learn something from the meetings.
To All
So far it seems like The first Tursday of the month is works for most.
What time is best for everyone?

Delphinus
03-09-2002, 10:09 PM
7:00ish?

Basically, if it's a weekday, then nothing too early, and nothing too late for me please. 7:00 seems to work for the orchid society, so that's where I come up with that number...

MitchM
03-09-2002, 11:57 PM
Hey Jonathan,
Right now I'm working 7 days/week, so i have no idea what would be a good time for me. I can barely make it home in time to feed my dogs :D . You guys will have to set up a time, and I will attend if I can.
I would like to have everyone over to my place at some time, though. I'm up in Beddington, around 80th and Center st., N.W. A couple of blocks from Eli, it sounds like!

Mitch

Canadian Man
03-10-2002, 12:03 AM
well i agree with the 7 ish thing. i would vote for the second meeting (if this all goes ahead) to be at carpentersreef's(aka mitch) house.
Tony i was at jack astors tonight. did you put your name on one of the clovers hanging from their roof? cause i dont know anyone else who uses the name Delphinus. if so kinda funny small world thing eh!
anyways keep those replies a comming!

Delphinus
03-10-2002, 12:29 AM
Yeah that was my shamrock!! :D Far out, I didn't think anyone would ever see that...

I don't know ... I just wanted to sign it that way. If I just signed it "Tony" nobody would have given it a second thought!!!

I wanted to use "delphinus" as my hotmail account, but someone has that (pretty much all the names from Greek mythology are taken :( ) Oh well, "entacmea" is pretty cool, even if nobody can spell it right :D

Bob I
03-13-2002, 08:33 PM
First thusday of the month sounds fine, and sevenish is also fine. There is a small problem. I am on a two week rotation where one week I start at 6:00 am, and work until noon. The second week I start at noon and work until about 1830 depending if I have to fuel up. My location is the Children's Hospital. You can probably see that weekdays are a bit ugly, as one week I have to get home to get to bed by 2200hrs, and the following week sevenish might be too early. It is a bit complicated I know, but that is the way it goes. :(

[ 13 March 2002, 16:35: Message edited by: Bob Ipema ]

Canadian Man
03-13-2002, 09:53 PM
Thats fine bob i am sure we can work around everyones schedule. so i am looking at APRIL 4th @ 7:00 pm. at my place in the sw. can everyone make it?
Thanks to all.

MitchM
03-14-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Canadian Man:
well i agree with the 7 ish thing. i would vote for the second meeting (if this all goes ahead) to be at carpentersreef's(aka mitch) house.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm actually out of town that week, but if I do get some help moving my tanks before April monthend, that'll kinda be a meeting in itself
:D .

So far, I'm in for the April 4th meeting.
smile.gif

Jonathan, I hope you can be patient with picking up the BG babies, I'll call you when I can. smile.gif

Mitch

[ 14 March 2002, 16:43: Message edited by: Carpentersreef ]

Canadian Man
03-14-2002, 09:11 PM
bob
no problem 7 ish is fine.

basically 5 minute drive from spruce medows
Mitch
no problem on waiting for the babies, i am confused though, you said you will be out of town on the week we are meeting but you say you are in for the meeting. Please clarify, i'm confused
Cheers to all
Jonathan

MitchM
03-14-2002, 09:33 PM
If 1st meeting is April 4th, then 2nd meeting would be May 2nd. I'll be in Sechelt.
(re your suggestion of 2nd meeting at my house)

Mitch :D

[ 14 March 2002, 17:36: Message edited by: Carpentersreef ]

Canadian Man
03-14-2002, 10:08 PM
Thanks mitch now it is all clear to me. :cool:

wayner
03-14-2002, 11:03 PM
Hi Fellas:

New to the Board, presently have a 65 gallon reef up & running for a year and a half, I have 5 clams, crocea,derasa,maxima,etc, acro frags, pink birdsnest, mintipora digitata, etc., tank is 3 feet long lit by 1 250W Iwasaki on one side the other side has 175W 5500K & 2 55W PC German Actinics.

I'd like to join in on Reef talk when ever you guys gwt together.

Also, I'm looking to upgrade to a 180, if you hear of anybody selling one or can suggest the best place in Calgary to get one price wise, please let me know.

I'm nor very handy & the wife wants a nice stand & canopy to go with it, my 65 sits on an oak stand with canopy down in the playroom.

Pine would be nice too, anyways, if you hear of anything let me know

Thanks
Wayne

spikehs
03-15-2002, 12:42 AM
wayner,

If you dont mind buying used, the bargain finder is the best way to go, you can really get some sweet deals there, there website is www.bargainfinder.com (http://www.bargainfinder.com)

Delphinus
03-15-2002, 01:27 AM
I should be in for the 4th ... I'm out of town right now so if someone could post a reminder closer to the 4th because I am apt to forget by the time I get back to Calgary!

wayner
03-15-2002, 01:36 AM
Thanks Spikehs:

I've been looking, just missed a good deal I think.

Canadian Man
03-15-2002, 02:12 AM
Hey wayne welcome to the board.
so would you be into meeting on April 4th? this is the date we are aiming for.
Tony
I will definatley post a reminder and email everyone who's email adress i have.
tony i am organizing a meeting with VDHD to go see his tank and i will probably be helping him with a hood, i offered your name to possibly help him set up an auto top off device as i know you offered to others. just thought i would let you know.
cheers to all
thanks
Joanthan

wayner
03-15-2002, 02:44 AM
Joanthan:

April 4th looks good, please post a reminder.

Thanks

Bob I
03-15-2002, 04:47 AM
April 4th sounds fine with me. I'll be on the afternoon shift, so depending how far you are from the Children's Hospital, I will probably make it a little after seven, or 1900hrs. :D

spikehs
03-17-2002, 04:23 AM
wayner,

In a couple of months (when i get my lighting) could i maybe buy a frag of that pink birdsnest off of you? If it is fragable that is....
Thanks

Sean

Delphinus
03-17-2002, 06:17 PM
Uh, I just realized I can't do the first Thursday of every month, I have a conflict. I'll try to make April 4th but I would like it if we can make the "general rule" some other day (please and thank you and sorry)

For me, the following weekday evenings are out:
- Monday following the third Sunday of the month
- first Thursday of the month
- Wednesday (May to September only though)

Canadian Man
03-17-2002, 10:04 PM
Well i would like to get as many people as possible there and i would like you to be able to attend tony. so i suppose we could meet on the second thrusday of the month if this does not conflict with anyone else.
so first meeting is looking like it will be on the 11th of april.
Let me know if this conflicts with anyone else.
thanks
Jonathan

AJ_77
03-18-2002, 01:43 AM
All in favour?
AYE!

woo-hoo!

AJ

wayner
03-20-2002, 01:06 PM
Spikehs:

The Pink Birdsnest is a frag, I ordered from Saltwater Connection some time ago 5 frags for 75 bucks.

MitchM
03-20-2002, 11:11 PM
April 4 is still good for me.

Mitch

Bob I
03-21-2002, 12:29 PM
In actuality April 4th is much better for me. I am on weekly shift rotation. I might not get there until 7:30, but I don't have to get up the next morning. April 11th I have to get up at 4:45 AM the next day.

eli@fijireefrock.com
03-22-2002, 02:52 PM
a meating is a very good idea for all questions trades and sells,..
in the business i am in the time off i could have are sundays and mondays the slowest time in the calgary tower dining room. :D

Delphinus
03-22-2002, 07:17 PM
April 4 is not good for me, sorry. I have a conflict.

How about: Tuesday April 2. (Two days before the 4th).

Responses?

Canadian Man
03-23-2002, 01:08 AM
well tony works for me. how about for everyone else. April 2

AJ_77
03-23-2002, 01:51 AM
This thread's getting long...

Tues the 2nd looks OK to me. Could we all e-mail you Jonathan, and have you post the results here?

That way you could do up a spreadsheet or database with the votes per available days, weighted by us on a scale of 1 to 3 (1 being most preferred, of course, or is it the other way around?), and you could then find the favourite day by weight... If you want, you could further fine-tune the process by weighting each prospective attendee also, based on your perception of that person. Therefore, it's possible that we all get our 2nd choice, but you get all the people you know and like to the meeting.

Yeah, that's it... ;)

(It's late, been a long week, but I got 125 lbs of Caribbean base rock tonight for a good deal. Also found a polished reflector setup with electronic ballast for my tubes. Reflector set for MH is on its way, apparently one of the last CDN shipments from hellolighting. Got sand? Yup, 300 lbs. It's a good day.)

Cheers,
AJ smile.gif

MitchM
03-23-2002, 05:10 AM
...2nd is good for me too.

Mitch

Bob I
03-23-2002, 11:30 AM
2nd is Okay for me too.
Bob

Canadian Man
03-23-2002, 11:34 AM
well AJ too much work
so i am setting a final date.
:D APRIL 2nd Is The First Meeting. :D
attend if you can please.
Will be at my house in SW calgary
16114 Everstone Rd S.W.
(403)235-6467
i will post/mail detailed directions closer to the date. meeting will start aprox 7:00pm.
if you would like to trade/sell frags bring them. If you have any equipment questions bring equip if possible.
Cheers to all
hope to see you all there
Jonathan. :D