PDA

View Full Version : Microbubble Problems: Need Advice

ron101
04-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey guys, still messing around with my first sump system and need some advice.

I have 90 gal RR and have been using the durso setup and 1-3/8" ID overflow bulkhead that came with the All-Glass overflow kit. The return pump is an Eheim 1262 (900gal/hr at 0').

With this setup I get tons of air and turbulence into the first sump compartment. I pulled out the durso and put in a smaller bulkhead and ran it bare (no overflow pipe since the durso wont fit the smaller bulkhead) to smaller diameter tubing to the sump and there are no bubbles whatsoever and no flow rate probs(of course the overflow box is now way too noisy).

Would I get a similar reduction if I installed a smaller diameter durso and kept the smaller plumbing or is it the durso itself that introduces the air? Any other design suggestions are also welcome.

TIA

saltynuts
04-03-2006, 10:49 PM
did you put any baffles before the return pump
the last baffle should be off the bottom. so the pump draws water and not any bubbles.
i use 2 baffles
water goes over baffle one then water goes under baffle two to the pump

saltynuts
04-03-2006, 10:52 PM
i forgot one thing.
with your pipe comeing from bottom of tank drill some hole just at the water line. it will help get air out of the line. but put the durso back in. i dont think you want to here it all the time.

ron101
04-03-2006, 11:49 PM
The durso that comes with the All-Glass kit has an air-port on the top but Im guessing that the flow rate is not enough to fill the area of the larger diameter plumbing so is acts more like a water slide...

The baffles in the sump are another story. Because Im using a smaller sump (20 gal) I put the skimmer in the first compartment but I don't think it is working properly with all the bubbles in the intake. Redesigning the sump layout to have some sort of baffling before the skimmer is another possibility but then I'll probably have to sacrifice the refugium compartment.

crusty1
04-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Here is an idea...
Try hanging some filter bags over the feedpipes to the sump. They are available at ocean aquatics. They will seperate the air from water, and do a great job of removing suspended solids from the system.

mark
04-04-2006, 01:28 AM
Got my bags fr OA on Friday and installed on the overflow outlet.

Didn't drop the micro bubbles in the display to zero but did make quite a noticeable difference. Believe the rest of mine are from the skimmer. Have baffles between the skimmer and the pump but the plates are not siliconed (think the bubbles are going under and around sides).

Already changed out one bag because of the amount of detritus it collected (and posting this reminds me got the get it out of the washer before the wife comes home).

smellsfishy
04-08-2006, 04:11 AM
if you've got pictures please post them, it would help to see it.

mark
05-19-2006, 04:32 AM
if you've got pictures please post them, it would help to see it.

So addicted to Canreef and now that it's back up even going through old posts. Eitherway picture of filter sock in dog biscuit bubble tower.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/sock.jpg

Tom R
05-26-2006, 04:04 AM
By following the gate valve upgrade to your ASM skimmer you will get rid of any bubbles that the skimmer is creating. See asmskimmer.com. You can use the upgrade detail without using the gate valve it is just a little more difficult to set the water level,