PDA

View Full Version : To Sump Or Not To Sump

Palster
04-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Now that I have sold almost all of the Cichlids in my 135 gallon tank I am getting close to actually converting it over to salt water. The intent is to make this a predatory tank with a Trigger, Puffer, Lion and possibly a Tang etc. (basically messy eaters). The tank currently has two Aqua Clear 500 filters on it. I was wondering if it would be wise to drill the tank and install an over flow and sump when I tear it down or if the external power filters would be adequate as this will not be a reef tank. Does anyone have any thoughts? I already have a 50 gallon tank kicking around that is not in use that would make an ideal sump. The other option is to go with an overflow box instead of drilling.

j83
04-03-2006, 08:31 PM
I would go with the sump. While it may be a little more work short term, it would definitely be worth it in the long term. 2 aqua clear 500 filters won't do much in terms of mechanical filtration with the fish you want to keep in there, and nitrates would most likely build up (as they would with canister filters). Drill the tank, hook it up with your 50 gallon and get a big pump to get the water moving. You and your fish will be much happier.

muck
04-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Drill it now while you can. You will be kicking yourself later if you don't. All the unsightly equipment can be keep in the sump instead of your main display. You can also run a big skimmer in the sump to help keep the water clean. With all those messy eaters you plan on keeping it would be a big plus. :wink:

Ruth
04-03-2006, 10:08 PM
What they said. I have tried with a 135 to run it with 2 canister filters and it was an excercise in frustration. Even cleaning the foams and media in the filters every 3rd day my nitrates were still through the roof. Good flow, good skimmer and a sump is my vote.

Johnny Reefer
04-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Ya....definitely get it drilled now when you have the chance.
When I got my drilled 180, my 135 Reef tank became an FOWLR. I shoulda got the 135 drilled then 'cause the HOB skimmer I have on there is a POS. Eventually it's gonna need a sump with a bigger skimmer in there. Have 4 Triggers in there and so far it's been okay. Been up and running for 4 months. the Triggers are still juvies and Nitrates are holding at 10 ppm, but that ain't gonna last I reckon.
I've made this mistake (not drilling when chance was there) twice, now.
Oh well, the wallet was only so thick at the time and still have yet to get a decent skimmer on the 180. All in due time, I suppose.
But I digress.
Ya. Get it drilled.

Cheers:smile:,

Palster
04-04-2006, 02:27 AM
Thanks to everyone for responding. Being relatively new to saltwater fish keeping I never considered the nitrates issue with running these filters on a tank with messy eating fish. I will definately go with a sump. I currently am running a sump on my 90 gallon tank (I am going to basically copy the design). The only questions I have in regards to the sump are is it beneficial to run Bio Balls and or sponge filter media in the sump? The sump that I currently have does have both.

Ruth
04-04-2006, 02:34 AM
IME none at all except to collect additional nitrates. I used to have sponges in both sumps and once again they tend to be places that nitrates just love to collect and grow. Bio balls can be tricky. I have heard a few people recommend them for FOWLR systems but as I don't have one of those I am not really sure of the benefit of them. Regardless I believe that the best biological filtration is going to come from having lots of live rock - period. I do have miracle mud in my fuge on my 230g but to be honest I am not sure of the benefit of it (other than that claimed by the manufacturer). My other fuge is just live rock and chaeto.

tranvictor
04-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Personally I would go with an above tank fuge with a skimmer. It worked for my 90 gal, grouper, trigger, snapper tank. Plus the little copopods that grew in there, fell down into the main tank to feed the damsels, which I would throw in for "sport" for my aggressive fish. The only downside is you'll have to build a tall stand to hide the fuge and skimmer.

Vic

smellsfishy
04-07-2006, 02:22 AM
sump, sump ,sump it it is way more convienient and expandable later. drill now you can always not use them but i garranty you will never go back.