PDA

View Full Version : South Down in Calgary???

Dolf
01-27-2002, 05:39 AM
Hope that title got some attention. I finally go off of my a** and inquired with the Home Depot about the possibility of them shipping Southdown to Calgary and was told that they would not do it. They did, however provide me with Southdown’s phone # and contact info. If there are enough people interested in the sand to justify the shipping costs I will try to order it. I am going to call between Mon and Wed to find out the cost from the supplier and costs associated with shipping/minimum order etc.. and will post it here. I will also enquire about Vancouver just incase somebody there would like to co-ordinate a shipment for Van residents.

-Danny

StirCrazy
01-27-2002, 06:00 AM
thanks Dan the info would be cool.

Steve

Aquattro
01-27-2002, 06:29 AM
Dan, I've inquired before and the cost of shipping puts the sand at the same cost of aragamax from J&L. Perhaps a alternate shipping method would be cheaper...who knows.

Aquattro
01-27-2002, 06:35 PM
Steve, Southdown no longer ships bags to hobbyists as it was too much hassle for them. If I recall, the price I got was for a pallet. You can check again though. For the trouble involved, you might want to try www.jlaquatics.com (http://www.jlaquatics.com) and order some Aragamax. images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

canadawest
01-27-2002, 07:46 PM
Or check out Pure Aragonite (http://www.purearagonite.com.) to see what their prices are at pallet rates.

This is a new competitor to Caribsea with the same grain consistancy as Southdown sand.

Canadian Man
01-28-2002, 04:09 AM
I would definatly like more info. would be interested if the price is right. images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

StirCrazy
01-28-2002, 04:18 AM
Brad was that for just you to have a few bags shipped out? or was that for a pallet? maby if enuf people are interested when could get a whole pallet out here for cheep.

Steve

Dolf
02-01-2002, 01:47 PM
Sorry it took so long to post a reply. I got hold of the company that makes Southdown and was told that they no longer handle the sales of the product. They have passed my name on to the company that does and they will get back to me.

It seems as though they will probably ship it as Southdown asked if it was an oredr for aquariums and if it was going to be for one or two bags. I guess we'll see.

Oh, yes, I did check out the link to the aragonite and it would cost about 23 Can to have it shipped up here without the taxed and duty (providing that the shipping would cost the same as Montana.) and that is the price for a pallet (70 bags.) It is mor expensive (About 35 Can) if you order a half pallet.
-Danny

[ 01 February 2002: Message edited by: dan150 ]</p>

Bob I
03-10-2002, 12:26 AM
I will stir the mud a little here :D . If you reside in Calgary, and use the local water as I do, there is no need to use aragonite. Our water is high in pH, and Calcium Carbonate (not to mention the Magnesium). Using just plain old silica sand for your DSB is perfectly acceptable, and very inexpensive. Please don't use the leaching of silicates urban legend. The only problem is the brown color. The tank will look dull. I have done what I mentioned, and had no problems at all. smile.gif

Delphinus
03-10-2002, 12:51 AM
Bob, I thought one potential issue using silica sand is that it tends to be rouch edged, and hence will scratch up a tank wall pretty easy. Any comment?

Bob I
03-10-2002, 12:44 PM
I would say that is probably true, but to what extent? I find that Aragonite scratches also. You also have to weigh in the extreme cost of Aragonite, and its relative few benefits if you are using our local water. Right now I have a mixture of sugar sized aragonite and silica sand in my nano. If you keep the sand on the bottom where it belongs, scratches can be minimised. Small tanks are inexpensive, so if you were to inadvertantly scratch one, you can cheaply replace it. :D

Jayson
03-11-2002, 06:30 PM
If you are interested in ordering a pallet you might want to give me a call. It would cost you aprox $20.00 for a 30 lbs bag at your place. This is pure aragonite(aragamax) sand. We have purchased in bulk. Call me for me details. 204-255-9308 or 204-297-salt or send me an email reefman@escape.ca

AJ_77
03-11-2002, 09:16 PM
$20 for 30# delivered to Calgary? Has anyone heard of a better deal?

Put me down for a few, if anyone can arrange for the bulk order...

AJ

DJ88
03-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Jayson,

Could you please keep posts of a commercial nature in the vendor forum in the future. That area was created for that purpose.

Thank you. smile.gif

eli@fijireefrock.com
03-12-2002, 02:04 AM
i would prefer the caribsea product i have a sample of sand from pure aragonite.
it is similar but why the hassel for shipping a ton then you need to clear it and it all comes in one sugar size grane. :D
i would go and pay the extra 10$ for aragamax or any other caribsea,.. tongue.gif

only my thoughts