PDA

View Full Version : Warning to anyone with sea hares

Aquaholic
04-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Sea hares when frightened will release a purple ink, well now I have "read" that the ink released is poisonis. It happened to me when my sea hare landed on my carpet anenome, luckly i was there when it happened and i could do a quick water change and increase the skimming.

Just a friendly heads up.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-03-2006, 04:37 PM
I don't think its poisonous. Seen it & nothing died in the tank. I think its a defensive dye that is released to startle & confuse a predator.

Anthony

Ruth
04-03-2006, 04:42 PM
I agree - my Sea Hare had an encounter with a carpet anemone and sent out a whole whack of purple dye. Nothing suffered in my tank that I noticed. I do run carbon in this tank and it is 230g but even so no harmful effects that I could see.

Aquaholic
04-03-2006, 06:07 PM
I read this and it is true, as far as how poisonis it is im not sure, but... It was a warning.

to quote "This is not exactly pen ink. A variety of chemicals make up the defensive secretion, creating a multi-pronged attack. The ink targets the predator’s nervous system and messes with the creature’s behavioral control system."

Refrence, the complete marine aquarist, and some internet resorces.

This is a fact.

midgetwaiter
04-03-2006, 06:16 PM
The toxic components in the ink come from the animal's diet. If it has been eating the right kinds of algae then the ink could cause various reactions from your tank inhabitants or yourself.

Outside of very recent imports this should be a non issue, but it is certainly something to consider.

Beermaster
04-03-2006, 06:26 PM
But still this is somthing that should have been known before you bought the critter :mrgreen:

Aquaholic
04-03-2006, 06:55 PM
or somthing that should be posted at the store.

"buyer beware"

Willow
04-03-2006, 07:55 PM

"buyer beware"

the responsibility is yours sir to do the homework.

midgetwaiter
04-03-2006, 08:00 PM

"buyer beware"

You could say the same about lionfish, zoas, anemones, lps corals, the algae itself or any number of other things.

Freshwater and brackish tanks also have the same potential issues. Examples include the spines on scats, pectoral fins on corys and again some algaes. Also throw a sign on all the puffers that says "do not eat". Maybe do not touch as well, it is possible to absorb the toxin through your skin (it has happened to me).

Then you can pass out pamphlets on allergic reactions to blood worms too. Oh and be careful with those antibiotics, and the malachite green and formalin (carcinogens).

I could go on. I'm not going to say that your particular issue isn't an important consideration but you should consider that it is one of maybe a thousand issues that are just as much a concern.

Aquaholic
04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
let me know, how many people with sea hares knew that they were poisonis??? maybe thats why I'm "WARNING PEOPLE"

I thought this forum was to help people (which I was trying to do), not insult them (which I have gotten from some in return)

Sincerly,

the insulted guy,

OCDP
04-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Why is he being flamed so badly for throwing out a friendly warning? I for one, (had I not already known this) would be very thankful.

Sure, do your homework.. but what's done is done. He's just throwing out a friendly heads up , as stated.

Willow
04-03-2006, 08:43 PM
i have one and know.

dufferdan
04-03-2006, 10:17 PM
thanks for the warning, I did not know this. I

Ruth
04-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Sorry Nail, wasn't at all meaning to flame you - just sharing my experience. It could of course be that the SH was not eating anything that caused a reaction in my tank or it could also be that my tank is 230g and I got the SH out of the anemone right away before it could release a whole lot of ink (looked like lots though - they really spit it out). Anyway thanks for the warning and I think a lot of people, including me, didn't know. Your heads up may very well help me or other people in the future.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Other's should not flame you for letting others know because it was obviously a "heads up." Sorry if you took my posting to be a negative or flame. Appreciate the general warning, whether or not I knew the facts about seahares & their purple "ink".

Anthony

Beverly
04-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Don't think I'm ever going to need a sea hare, knock on wood, but thanks for the information :smile:

Beermaster
04-03-2006, 10:55 PM
I as well was not trying to flame, more then trying get people to research what you buying, almost everything has some risk, i am sure we all could fill this board with warnings about the living organisms within our tanks

midgetwaiter
04-03-2006, 11:23 PM
I as well was not trying to flame, more then trying get people to reasearch what you buying, almost everything has some risk, i am sure we all could fill this board with warnings about the living organisms within our tanks

This was my intention as well and I don't think my posts were "flames". I find it makes much more sense to post a link or comprehensive reference when doing something like this. IMO the original post was missing a crucial bit of information (diet). By referencing the original material you can avoid confusion.

Willow
04-03-2006, 11:24 PM
who's flaming? all people are saying is it's your own responsibility to do the research into whats being purchased not the stores.

OCDP
04-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Oh man, flamed... such a powerful word on the boards. You know what I meant, everyone just started to kinda give him a hard time about it. When after all he's just throwing out a friendly heads up.

Next time I'll choose my words more carefully.