PDA

View Full Version : SEIO 1500 on a 30 gallon cube

rudy
04-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I am keeping a pair of clowns, soft corals and an anemone. Would this rate of flow be to much?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Yup. I have mine on 3' 65g tanks and that's probably the min. size I would personally go with for this size/power of Seio. In an sps dominated reef tank, the corals might enjoy the high flow, but clowns are poor swimmers & anemones often don't fully open in high flow & a 30g cube is too short a distance for the stream to disperse enough IMO & IME.

Anthony

Beverly
04-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Whatever powerhead you get, make sure you can carefully cover intakes or moving parts so the anemone does not get caught if it wanders near them.

digital-audiophile
04-03-2006, 05:09 PM
For what it's worth, I have a seio 1100 and a seio 820 on a 37 gallon cube and I wish I had more flow.

Skimmerking
04-03-2006, 05:52 PM
you can turn down the flow on the Seio's remember. I had one on my 62 gal and i thought it was ok. but if you play with it you can have some good flow.

why not do a closed loop with a power head in the overflow..

rudy
04-03-2006, 08:35 PM
In this tank, how much flow should I shoot for? I do not have a sump so the closed loop will not work.

As far as the anemone that is a good point.
Would I be better off with a canister xp 3 and a penguin 200, or 400?

These are powerheads I have on hand and I can place them so the anemone is in less danger of getting sucked.

Skimmerking
04-03-2006, 08:45 PM
I would crank it until you see that your corals are starting to shrink up. best thing to too is play around with it. I'm always doing that with my 170 with the closed loop.

Beverly
04-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Rudy,

Wish I could help you decide how much flow you need. I've experimented with various sizes of Hagen 301s, 402s and 802s in our two tanks with anemones. Whatever powerheads or filtration systems you choose, they have to be bullet-proof in not sucking up anemones that move around your tank. When you are experimenting, anemomes are very likely to move, too :sad:

Here's the Wavemakers, Powerheads, Heaters section from the new Reference Library for you to do some research ....

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22049

Ruth
04-03-2006, 10:27 PM
You can do a closed loop without a sump - in fact a closed loop does not run through a sump because then umm.....it not closed --- it's open. Seio's are big and IMO quite unsightly so if a closed loop is an option on that size of tank you might want to think about it.