PDA

View Full Version : Trading for Banggai's

spikehs
03-06-2002, 08:51 PM
Hey all,

Well my pair of banggai's have final started breeding, the male now has quite a mouthfull! While they are a ways from being born/big enough to trade i was wondering if anyone would be interested in trading for them? I have basically no corals in my tank,so if you have any easy(ish) corals that you could frag, i would love to trade with you down the line.

Sean

Canadian Man
03-06-2002, 10:12 PM
Hey Spikehs,
i would love to add a few cardinals to my 90. i currently have a few large frags from my colt coral that grows well in pretty much any setup. extremely easish (as you put it) coral.
So did they have babies allready. so exciting eh!
I bread fw angels as well and i truly enjoy seeing the products of the parents. let me know if you would be interested.
Thanks
Jonathan.

spikehs
03-06-2002, 10:35 PM
yah that sounds great! nope no babies quite yet, i figure they will have about another 1-2 weeks, since this is their first batch i have no idea how long he likes to hold em. After that I have no idea how long it will be before they take to the prepared foods. I guess it also depends on what size you want them, cause if you dont mind em small, then you can have em quicker....
ANyways, i'll let you all know when the babies are out and i can see how many i have!!

Sean

[ 06 March 2002, 18:36: Message edited by: spikehs ]

Canadian Man
03-07-2002, 12:38 AM
Sean;
that sounds great to me
My # is 235-6467
or you can just mail me,
cheers

Delphinus
03-07-2002, 02:13 AM
Ooh! Ooh! Can I put my name on a waiting list for any leftover or the next batch???

Very cool news Spikehs!!

canadawest
03-07-2002, 04:02 AM
Hey Sean, congratulations on your expectant father!

I am currently on my third brood, so perhaps I can offer some information/advice?
</font><ul type="square"> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Your male Bangaii will hold the eggs for approximately 19-22 days before they begin to hatch. You will see the eggs changing from a reddish color to a tan color as they mature, then eventually you'll be able to see the tiny black outlines of the babies in the eggs.</font> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">During the latter part of the third week the male MUST BE be separated from other fish into a separate nursery tank. There should be low current and no powerheads or other high-suction devices in this tank. Try to make the water parameters as close to your main tank as possible. If you do not quarantine the male, you risk the lives of all the babies as they become instant food for other fish or inverts upon release.</font> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">After the eggs hatch, the male will continue to carry the live babies for another 3-4 days. The babies feed off their egg sacks, and whatever else passes into the male's mouth during this time.</font> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The day after you notice the hatched babies, but BEFORE the male releases them, you need to start your brine shrimp hatchery/hatcheries. After 24 hours, enrich the hatchery with Selcon to increase the live brine's nutritional value. This should give you 36-48 hours to culture some enriched live baby brine shrimp in anticipation of the baby Bangaii's release.</font> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The male will release the babies overnight (in darkness) around days 24-28, or approximately 3-4 days after the babies have hatched out of their eggs. So far in my experience the release has been over two or three nights. Usually a couple the first night, the bulk of the brood the second night, and the stragglers the third night. Now these little guys are on their own, and rely on you for survival.</font> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">After the third night, or once you are confidant the male is carry no more babies, the male MUST BE removed from the nursery tank, preferably into another tank separate from the female in order to recover. Remember this guy hasn't eaten for 4 weeks and he doesn't care that those are his little babies, they look like good eatin' to him! So once removed feed him as much as he'll eat. He should also have some time away from the female so that he has a chance to become healthy again before "getting pregnant" again.</font> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Other than fattening up the dad, your focus is now on raising those babies. I feed mine three times a day (morning, afternoon, night) with half a turkey baster's worth of hatched brine shrimp "soup" each time. After 3 weeks I reduce the feedings to twice a day, just morning and night. After 5 weeks old I reduce the feedings to live brine once a day (morning) and attempt to get them to eat Selcon enriched frozen foods like bloodworms, Formula 1, frozen brine and others in the evening. They wont always take to it, but after a few days (and having bigger appetites) they start to accept it. By 6-7 weeks they are usually completely off the live baby brine shrimp and feasting only on enriched frozen foods.</font> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Once an entire week goes by with them eating only frozen foods (usually at 7-8 weeks old) they are ready to go to new homes.
</font>[/list:u:2c002cb586]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So consider this a long term investment in these babies. Have plenty of brine shrimp eggs on hand, and plenty of time to devote to feedings. So far raising Bangaiis has been one of the most rewarding parts of this hobby for me, and I wish you all the best sucess as well, for both yourself and the contribution to others of tank raised species.

Delphinus
03-07-2002, 05:09 PM
Frozen prawn eggs .... cool, where can you get that? How big are they?

spikehs
03-07-2002, 11:54 PM
Not sure how big they are, i am guessing they are very small as they can feed banggai's from day 1. As to where to get them, that is part of the problem, bio-aquatics.com sells them, but will only sell orders for 10+pounds, and i dont think iwill run through 10pounds of food anytime soon! I am talking to afew online and ofline stores to see if they can order them in. If all else fails there is a member of reefcentral, that said he could send me some as he brought a whole ton from his lfs.

Canadian Man
03-08-2002, 01:24 AM
Spikehs
just a suggestion i dont know if you allready know this or not but, with my angel fish babies i make a large batch of baby brine shrimp and once they hatch i put them in about 5-6 little cups. put them in the fridge and i have a supply for about 6 days or so and they are usually alive on the last day as well. so now i only have to have my hatchery going 4 days out of a month rather than everyday.
hoope you did not allready know this
anyway thanks

spikehs
03-08-2002, 01:34 AM
Canadian,

Nope i didn't know that, thanks for the tip. From what i have heard though, the bbs are the most nutrious the 1-2days after they are hatched, so i was planning to feed them then, but if i dont i can always store them now!

Canadian Man
03-08-2002, 01:58 AM
well thats the beauty of storing them in the fridge is that they dont grow anymore cause their systems slow down so much but they still stay alive. so they stay as 1st stage shrimp the whole time. this is how i raise angels and keep my sanity. :rolleyes:

spikehs
03-08-2002, 04:38 AM
hey all,

there should (hopefully) be enough banggai's for me to trade most people who want them, so i wouldn't worry about that. I'll let you all know when they are born so i can tell you how many,etc.,etc. (assuming not many die).

canadawest: thanks for all the info, its really helpful. But i have lots of good things about feeding the babies frozen prawn eggs right off the bat (the day the are born), there has been some disscusions about it at www.reefcentral.com (http://www.reefcentral.com) in the fish breeding section. Hopefully if this works out well, it will eliminate the need for the bbs, but i will have a bbs hatchery set up, just incase.....Now i just hope the male doesn't spit em out!

Sean

spikehs
03-09-2002, 01:46 AM
bad news,

My male spit out all the eggs today.....ate like a pig when i fed him. Hopefully they will try again soon. It kinda sucks, but i suppose i know i have a pair now.

Sean

MitchM
03-09-2002, 09:29 AM
Sean, sorry to hear that. I've had 3 successful batches out of I don't know how many attempts. (Danny has 5 of my babies in his main front tank, Deb has a few of my other babies) Stress has usually been the problem with unsuccessful batches. I find that the parents get real touchy near hatching/rearing time.
As far as feeding the new babies, I find that they hang out near some hair algae :rolleyes: tongue.gif , hunting for pods more than they take whatever food I prepare.
I've got a couple of babies left that somebody is welcome to anytime before I move. (before April month end)

Mitch

[ 09 March 2002, 05:29: Message edited by: Carpentersreef ]

Canadian Man
03-09-2002, 12:12 PM
hey mitch i would definatley be interested in 2. how much do you want for them? i also have a colt frags to trade for them if you would be into that?
Let me know.
thanks

Delphinus
03-09-2002, 10:00 PM
How many does that leave you Mitch? Any left for me? :D

MitchM
03-09-2002, 11:30 PM
Jonathan,
Their yours. The colt frags would be great.

Tony, I'll keep you in mind for the next batch.

Mitch

Canadian Man
03-10-2002, 12:07 AM
Yea for me
Mitch
i get tuesday(march 12) and friday (mar 15) off from work. do any of those days work for you to make the swap? let me know, i am availiable the whole day/night.
Thanks alot.

Delphinus
03-10-2002, 01:59 AM
That's cool ... Yes please do keep me in mind, Mitch or Sean....

Jonathan -- ppplllllbbbbbbbbbbbb! tongue.gif

MitchM
03-10-2002, 10:00 AM
Jonathan,
My work situation is rather, uh, "fluid" right now, as I'm building a dentist office, and have small fires to put out every now and then. Please PM me your phone #, and I'll give you a call.

Mitch

Canadian Man
03-10-2002, 11:10 AM
Hey tony back at you........
well i was going to put up the same face as you but cant find it. ahhhh oh well
Mitch my # is 235-6467