PDA

View Full Version : how can i post in the buy and sell forum???

golfbomber
04-03-2006, 04:59 AM
what do i need to post in the buy and sell forums, i got lots of stuff that needs a good home asap! :(

muck
04-03-2006, 05:01 AM
You need to have at least 50 posts. :wink:

EmilyB
04-03-2006, 09:17 AM
What? Why? :confused:

Doug
04-03-2006, 01:50 PM
What? Why? :confused:

Because of all the problems we have had in the buy/sell, especially lately. Although many of these problems may go unnoticed to many, we have to deal with them behind the scenes.

We decided this was the best way to try eliminate some of that, for now at least.

Willow
04-03-2006, 02:26 PM
because people are registering under fake names for some reason and selling stuff.

Ruth
04-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Personally I think it is a good call. You see people listing stuff and it is their 1st post and you are never sure if they are stand up people or just trying to scam someone. Not that 50 posts makes you an automatic honest, upright citizen (I am sure you need at least 1000:mrgreen: ) but at least it will be someone who has participated on the board and give people a chance to get a gut feeling.

Just my .02

OCDP
04-03-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm on board with this as well. Very good call.... it's for our own good.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Yup, too many posters lately have been just showing up to sell their stuff & its kinda chancy, especially if its among their first posts & they don't list their locations.

Good call.

Anthony

targa81
04-03-2006, 05:42 PM
The last guy who did this seemed like a scammer to me. I was first in line for a number of items but ran as far as I could when he refused to list his location among other things. So this is probably a good idea ...but now I have to get more posts in !

dufferdan
04-03-2006, 07:56 PM
I guess that a reasonable policy. It also encourages participation. We all benefit from sharing our experiences in this hobby.

EmilyB
04-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Ah, I guess I can see that. However I just bought a bunch of things from a very nice gal who was referred here by the CAS. I guess I like to think there are more good people out there then bad. :mrgreen:

G1GY
04-03-2006, 11:53 PM
I think the 50 post before being able to post in the buy/sell idea is a good thing. :)

Doug
04-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Hi Deb,
I dont really disagree with you on that. Its one thing we considered, is that some do join here on a mention from someone else. And hopefully stay on the board as contributing members

but, that seems to rarely be the case. They do come here, sell their wares and are gone. When we checked stats, it was a large percentage of posts with very few posts, only in the buy/sell. I think it was something like only 50% of total members, had over 50 posts. :surprise: . Many new posts lately, are someone just here to flog whatever they have for sale.

Now I agree, thats not all bad, as we can always use bargins. :lol:

We just decided it was time to draw the line somewhere. Seems like many of the other boards have adopted a similar policy and for the same reasons.

I,m glad to see many members post their support. :smile: If it does not seem to be in the best interests of the board, and its members to have a small post limit for the buy/sell, we can always change it again.

Thanks

muck
04-04-2006, 12:38 AM
I think it was something like only 50% of total members, had over 50 posts. :surprise: .

Actually it was 18% Doug.. :eek:

Beermaster
04-04-2006, 01:34 AM
But still with 18%, thats still quite a bit of members, This is something i for once agree with on canreef, there is nothing wrong with trying to get people to join in the ongoing chats and discussions on here, with out just useing it to buy/sell

This board has alot of great information, and is why i personally keep comming here, and its fun to see the differences of opinions as well :mrgreen:

and before Bob can correct me, yea my spelling sucks lol

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-04-2006, 02:48 AM
I think he means only 18% of members have over 50 posts, not less than.

I love a good deal (ask anyone) but I think this policy will be a good thing for the site.

restless
04-05-2006, 02:37 AM
what if some says I will vouch for the seller .

Beverly
04-05-2006, 02:49 AM
Gads! I've got over 3,000 posts :biggrin: I guess that means I can sell EVERYTHING now :biggrin: Not that I want to, though :wink:

My comments are in no way knocking the decision of the Mods. Good call on this issue, especially when people show up only to sell stuff and refuse to list their locations. Makes me wonder if they're scam artists or what.

Quagmire
04-05-2006, 03:04 AM
what if some says I will vouch for the seller .
I would think if a person knows you well enough to vouch for you,maybe you could have them buy/sell for you untill your post count is high enough.

Doug
04-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Participation on the board, will get an aquarist to 50 posts in no time. :smile:

Beermaster
04-05-2006, 02:16 PM
I fully agree, all you have to do is get involed a little, i mean look at ReefGeek, he is posting up a storm (post whore) and he has only been on the boards, a couple months?

dufferdan
04-05-2006, 07:32 PM
The problem for me now is I started a sale ad when I joined, and now I can't reply to my own thread.
I only just learned of this site. I was refered here from Reef Central where I have been a member for over 2 years. As Reef Central's members are mostly Americans I wanted to post here where there are mostly Canadian's and hopefully find a local buyer.
I'm certainly not a scammer. And I plan on remaining a member and continue to contributed even after I sell my tank. Once I'm re located and settled again I plan on setting up a new tank. Hopefully with the help on members of Canreef.
Cheer
15 more posts before I can reply to my own sale thread.

Doug
04-05-2006, 09:35 PM
The problem for me now is I started a sale ad when I joined, and now I can't reply to my own thread.
I only just learned of this site. I was refered here from Reef Central where I have been a member for over 2 years. As Reef Central's members are mostly Americans I wanted to post here where there are mostly Canadian's and hopefully find a local buyer.
I'm certainly not a scammer. And I plan on remaining a member and continue to contributed even after I sell my tank. Once I'm re located and settled again I plan on setting up a new tank. Hopefully with the help on members of Canreef.
Cheer
15 more posts before I can reply to my own sale thread.

Hi Dan,
I will see what I can do to fix it up for you to post in there. :smile:

Delphinus
04-06-2006, 03:43 PM
We have now lowered the minimum post count to 25.

We hope that this will make it easier for newcomers to gain access to the marketplace forums, while still promoting and fostering discussions in the other forums.

Cam
04-06-2006, 04:43 PM
It was going to take me a while to hit 50 but im almost to 25 thanks for lowering the count.

Cam
04-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Im from Edmonton and want that to show on my post how do i do that?
Cam

Delphinus
04-06-2006, 04:50 PM
At the top of each page, left side, you should see a link "User CP". Follow that, then look for "Edit Profile". Click that. Towards the bottom there should be a category for "Where you live". Fill that in, and click "Save Changes". And .. voilą! .. you're done!:)

kit
04-06-2006, 08:03 PM
thanks for lowering the requirement.

Last month I sold my AC500 filter thanks to the buy/sell forum, and I have less then 25 posts but enjoy reading others and learning instead.

Again that forum really helped a noob like me and I appreciate lowering the requirement so perhaps it can help others.