PDA

View Full Version : lighting for low tank

Fishguy52
04-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Hey, I was just wondering if any on could help me out I have a 70 gal tank that I just stared up and was wondering about some lighting options for going reef. The tank is 51”L x 20”W x 16”H and I have 2 x 40 watt NO and a 96 pc from my old 35 gal.
If I replace the pc with a 400-watt MH HQI is that going to be good for a soft tank or can I get a way with another kind maybe less money.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-02-2006, 06:57 PM
For MH, two 150w de or 175w se MH would be much better for that length than a single 400w. Especially for a long, shallow tank. That shallow, even VHOs would be bright enough.

Fishguy52
04-02-2006, 11:13 PM
with the lighting now is there anyting cool i can keep until i upgrad i have one Toadstool Coral (leather) and a some mushrooms but i looking to add some more. the leather and mushrooms seem to be doing will but a about 2 watts per gal is there anyting other i can keep.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Zoos, mushrooms, softies will do well under these lower lighting conditions. Any sps would brown out if they live at all. If you place some LPS on the rockwork, there are many that would do ok if close to the surface. Still, I would stick with different kinds of soft corals (maybe start a zoo collection) until you upgrade. Another thing to consider is the age of your present bulbs. Are they in need of replacement? If they are, you're better off putting that money towards the better lights rather than into new bulbs that are gonna be temporary. For instance, if you have 10000k MH then you can buy an actinic 96w PC or actinic NO bulbs to complement the MH rather than buy new 10000k PC or NO bulbs for temp. use.

JMO,

Anthony