PDA

View Full Version : Need a Custom Hood and a Calcium Reactor!

VDHD
03-06-2002, 11:11 PM
Hi guys... I live in Calgary, and I was wondering if you could suggest where I can go to get a custom hood built (including lights) for my Reef Tank (a corner 92 gallon).

I am also looking for a Calcium Reactor. Big Als has one for a grand complete with everything - but it's a no-name, and I don't know much about them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Tau2301
03-06-2002, 11:58 PM
Why not buy one from the people who sponser this Bulletin Board - Canreef Aquatics.

Canadian Man
03-07-2002, 12:40 AM
Dont buy the one at bigals
you could make your own for allot less and if you are not an avid DIYer then look around elsewhere as Tau2301
mentioned
Cheers

Canadian Man
03-07-2002, 12:41 AM
Dont buy the one at bigals
you could make your own for allot less and if you are not an avid DIYer then look around elsewhere as Tau2301
mentioned
Cheers

Jack
03-07-2002, 01:06 AM
I'm sure Titus will build you a nice Ca reactor. Get in touch with him.

Delphinus
03-07-2002, 02:22 AM
For a hood, you may want to get in touch with Mitch (Carpentersreef -- with a handle like that, guess what he does for a living? :D )

He did a real bang up job on Deb's hood for her 155g bowfront. I have no idea what his rates are, and how busy he is and what with his upcoming move and all.

(Although Mitch, have you finished the dang doors yet???? :D )

Have the Canreef 2002 CaRx models come out yet? they sure look nice, very tantalizing looking at the "previous models." Are they custom orders only perhaps though? There are no prices or anything.

Another place to check is with Jayson at saltwaterconnection.com ... Ok so it's not local either but the prices are decent. Unfortunately, the prices for anything local aren't quite so wallet-friendly.

And PS. There are entirely too many Mitch's in Calgary who reef! I now know two reefing Mitch's, and I hear tales of a third! I think its not just BTA's that clone....

[ 06 March 2002, 22:39: Message edited by: delphinus ]

Delphinus
03-07-2002, 02:25 AM
And hey, VDHD, welcome to Canreef BTW!

titus
03-07-2002, 02:57 AM
Hello,

Thanks for the referrals.
To clear up some confusion:
1) Canreef only does custom manufacturing. So no more mass made items waiting to be sold by dealers. It also means products like the ca reactors can be customized for things like reaction chamber size, brand of pumps (Mag or Eheim) used, etc.

2) The 2002 model originally was a reversed flow top mounted design. Meaning it is top mounted but has the flow of a typical bottom mounted unit. There was going to be a change to the check valve and bubble counter design. However, after some careful thoughts, I'm planning to stick with the original Model 1 design with improved bubble counter and check valve for the following reason:

a) easy change of media
b) easy expansion either by stacking of daisy chaining
c) easy reverse flow via change of water circuit connection
d) the model 1 has been a unit that works since before the day Canreef started

Canadian Man
03-07-2002, 11:38 AM
Hey titus; on average what do the ca reactors go for? thanks
Joanthan

VDHD
03-07-2002, 12:38 PM
Wow, I didn't expect so much support.. thanks guys! I already emailed Titus...

Here's the situation so far;

1) I need the Calcium Reactor complete, something comparable to Precision Marine. Titus believes that their Reactor is fine for my needs.

2) I currently have a 92 gallon Corner (All Glass) and I want to build a custom hood ONLY if my lighting isn't good enough for a reef. I currently have 5X55 Watt Compact Florescent Lights. 2 of them are Actinic, 3 are 50/50s. Do I need better lighting?

Thanks guys!

eli@fijireefrock.com
03-07-2002, 01:15 PM
hi VDHD welcome to the board. :D
i am building a calcium reactor similar to knop reactor total height 30", 4" diameter acrilic chamber.it will be finished by the weekend i will post a picture. :D

DJ88
03-07-2002, 01:17 PM
VDHD,

Ca reactors are quite easily built if you have the equipment.

here is the one I just built and am running on my 33 gallon system. It is with 6" acrylic tubing and the chamber is 24" high. My Ca reactor (http://www.canreef.com/ubb6/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000065)

VDHD
03-07-2002, 01:27 PM
DJ88 - I wish I had the time to build a Calcium Reactor.. I truly don't.. I still keep enough time to enjoy my tank, which is one of my favorite things in the world - but time is always an issue...

Delphinus
03-07-2002, 01:56 PM
VDHD -- hear you LOUD and CLEAR man. Enough time to enjoy the tank when it's up and running ... but that's about it.

As for your lighting, well I think it truly depends on what you want to keep. I think some things will do just fine under those lights. Other things ... maybe not. What are your long-term goals for the tank? Softies? SPS? LPS? Clams? Anemones? The answers to those, and what you see for your tank one year, two years, etc. from now, should dictate the kind of tank management regime to undertake now.

Canadian Man
03-07-2002, 02:09 PM
VDHD;
i second tony's opinion. all depends on what you want to keep
Eli, Dj88;
how much aprox is your complete calcium reactor costing you to build.?

DJ88
03-07-2002, 03:06 PM
canadian man,

I'll get you a breakdown early next week(mid-terms are on right now). Mine costs a bit more as I am using a few more pieces of acrylic and pvc fittings.

As a quick guesstimate I'd say around $120 give or take $20. It is probably more as I used John Guest fittings for all my disconnects($3-4 each). As well add in teh cost of the pump for recirc. I used a mag3 instead of a mag2 as I have on my current DIY reactor.

[ 07 March 2002, 11:07: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Canadian Man
03-07-2002, 05:15 PM
thanks that would be great!

MitchM
03-07-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by delphinus:

(Although Mitch, have you finished the dang doors yet???? :D )

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tony, I had a real problem with making doors that were good enough for my standards, so I made temporary doors that are doing the job for now.
Believe it or not, Danny is a very good woodworker and has some great equipment! I'm going to be using a vacuum press that he has to laminate some better doors for her. I was pretty happy with Em's hood itself though!

Mitch
:D

Delphinus
03-08-2002, 01:46 PM
What happened with the doors that they didn't look so good? I don't know the story...

Yeah, I've seen some of Danny's handiwork. Some nice stuff.

MitchM
03-09-2002, 11:39 PM
Tony, I tried steambending some oak strips to use as the framework for the doors, but first my setup froze outside (well almost), and steambending indoors just didn't work out. Deb needed some doors soon, so I cut the bow frames out of a sheet of plywood, and the results just weren't good enough, IMO.
They're doing the job for her for now, but I tell her not to tell anybody who made it for her tongue.gif .
After Danny helps me with better ones, as he has a shop and nice tools, I'll be a little more proud of Deb's hood.

Mitch