PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles!!

J Feez
03-31-2006, 07:00 PM
My skimmer won't stop spewing out bubbles! Is there some sort of trick I can use to stop it from filling my tank with tiny bubbles?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Aquattro
03-31-2006, 07:25 PM
What kind of skimmer?

mark
03-31-2006, 07:26 PM
If the skimmer is in the sump, is there baffles between it and the return pump?

I'm having some bubbles in the display as well though mine appear probably more from the overflows. I've ordered some 100 micron filter bags to place over them, might be able similiar for the discharge of the skimmer.

J Feez
03-31-2006, 08:21 PM
The skimmer is actually on the display tank (no sump yet:sad: ). It is a SeaClone 100. I recently removed the sponge on the intake (as recommended by a couple fellow canreefers). I think this may have a little to do with the reason I'm having so many bubbles.

vanreefer
03-31-2006, 08:57 PM
The skimmer is actually on the display tank (no sump yet:sad: ). It is a SeaClone 100. I recently removed the sponge on the intake (as recommended by a couple fellow canreefers). I think this may have a little to do with the reason I'm having so many bubbles.

Try closing the air valve a little... I seem to remember having the same problem when I was using one...... removing the sponge will probably increase the flow through the skimmer causing the bubbles to exit the skimmer and into the display.... if all else fails you could always put something at the exit of the skimmer to catch the bubbles like foam or floss
HTH,
Dan

J Feez
04-01-2006, 05:09 AM
I've tried closing the air valve a little, but if I close it too much then my skimmer stops working all together. I'll have to wait until morning though to see if it works.

J Feez
04-01-2006, 03:08 PM
So it's morning now and there are still bubbles! Doesnt' even seem like they've gotten any better. Plus I've turned down the air valve so much that there is no foam going into the chamber. There is still air being pumped into the skimmer but not enough to create foam. What should I do?

J Feez
04-01-2006, 05:54 PM
If your skimmer is not foaming, it's not really doing anything is it?

Griffin
04-01-2006, 05:57 PM
I had a seaclone on my first tank - the only way i got rid of the bubbles was to shut it off during the day and turn back on at bedtime. You could try putting something under the return but i had no luck - decided to go with a sump but that started a big ugly circle of - bigger tank -better lights - bigger skimmer - more rock etc etc etc
i doubt anyone here could relate to that lol

hawaiiguy
04-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Are bubbles bad just cause they look bad or can they bother some corals?

GMGQ
04-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Both.

Looks bad is self explanitory.

But when bubbles get caught under a coral (i.e. like under a monti cap), it basically makes an air pocket under there, so that little area is basically exposed to dry air.

Are bubbles bad just cause they look bad or can they bother some corals?