PDA

View Full Version : Red Slime Remover

OCDP
03-31-2006, 05:26 PM
I forget the exact name of this product. Chemiclean? Something along those lines?

Does anyone know a place in Calgary that sells this? I have cyano that keeps coming back, I am fed up.. I just want a quick fix for now... it's covering the back wall of my tank as well as a couple rocks. I siphon it out regularly (sometimes daily) but it keeps returning with a vengeance. I just want a quick fix so I don't have to keep looking at it.

Anywhere in Calgary with this stuff??

TIA

Beverly
03-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Scott,

Did you do the basting thing I suggested to clear up your cyano problem? If so, how often did you do it?

SJSobczyk
03-31-2006, 05:38 PM
Scott,

I think i have some chemi clean kicking around. Not sure how much but i can leave it in my mailbox for you if you want? I am out of town this weekend....

Steve

OCDP
03-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Bev,

I don't recall you giving me instruction on removing cyano?? :confused: But I do remember you saying "baste the sand and rocks and put a sponge in your AC500, etc, etc" Maybe that's what your referring to.

I prefer not to blow around the cyano just in case it attatches to other rocks and starts spreading there as well... although, I did do the basting of the sand and wow! tank looked like crap, but the sponge took out a lot of junk. There is far too much debris and detritus in my tank to continue doing this... the gunk just eventually settles on my corals and rock.

Steve, I'd like to take you up on that offer but I am not sure if I can make it down to your neck of the woods this weekend , have parents coming back from Hawaii and will be busy tonight and tomorrow during the day. Really appreciate your offer though !

SJSobczyk
03-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Alright not a problem, still have 1/4 of a bottle left so if you need it down the road let me know.

Steve

OCDP
03-31-2006, 05:48 PM
Awesome, thanks man.

*edit* How did this stuff work for you BTW? And did you purchase it locally? Thanks again.

danny zubot
03-31-2006, 05:56 PM
You can boil it the same way you would with aptasia. I only recommend doing that if you first catch it, when its small. Other wise don't, because you will run the risk of spreading it around the tank.

OCDP
03-31-2006, 06:09 PM
I've tried boiling cyano, no luck. I've tried boiling aptasia, no luck.

adidas
03-31-2006, 07:17 PM
i got rid of my cyano by tearing down tank, cleaning everything, doing 100% water change and leaving lights off for about a week and a half. i also dumped the sand cleaned the tank out and went BB.

OCDP
03-31-2006, 07:48 PM
:rofl:

As mentioned.... looking for a quick fix. Just tired of looking at it for now. I am upgrading tanks fairly soon.. I'll do my best at removing all pest algaes at that time.

Thanks for the suggestion though ;)

Beverly
03-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Bev,

I don't recall you giving me instruction on removing cyano?? :confused: But I do remember you saying "baste the sand and rocks and put a sponge in your AC500, etc, etc" Maybe that's what your referring to.

I prefer not to blow around the cyano just in case it attatches to other rocks and starts spreading there as well... although, I did do the basting of the sand and wow! tank looked like crap, but the sponge took out a lot of junk. There is far too much debris and detritus in my tank to continue doing this... the gunk just eventually settles on my corals and rock.

Scott,

Yup. Basting and sponge cleaning is exactly what I was talking about.

Don't be concerned about blowing into the cyano. That's what I did. It gets picked up by the foams as does the detritus, then you clean the foams, and do it again. You have to keep it up at least once a day for at least a week for there to be any significant difference in your cyano problem.

And, yes, some of the detritus will settle on your rock and corals. That's why you baste them too, then continue basting and foam cleaning until the tank looks good again.

I have done this in my own tanks. It takes time and effort, but it is a non-chemical means of accomplishing a worthy goal. You get rid of tons of detritus that would normally stay in your tank and keep accumulated detritus from being a problem.

OCDP
03-31-2006, 09:15 PM
Bev,

This does seem like, and is a good thing to do. I am more than willing to do this.. but I think at this point it would be kind of pointless as I am upgrading tanks in the next month or so. At this time I will be replacing my sand bed, and cleaning my rocks thoroughly.

Otherwise, I'd without a doubt do this ! I did it for a couple days and the amount of crap that came out of my tank was insane! :eek:

Definitely makes me re-think the sandbed idea!

Beverly
03-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Scott,

I hear ya on the sandbed idea! It wasn't until we had our BB tanks all set up and did our first water change and bottom siphoning that we realized how much crud accumulates in just ONE WEEK :eek:

I still baste my rock in our three reefs the day before doing tank maintenance. Some tanks have more crud on the rock than others, but all tanks cloud up pretty good. Within a half hour, though, the water clears very nicely. Oh, and I make sure the glass is cleaned before basting. Otherwise, the crud sticks to the film algae on the glass and I can't see into the tank :eek:

Good luck with the new tank when you get it. I want pics!!

OCDP
03-31-2006, 10:03 PM
Yeah, when I basted.. the crud stuck to the glass as well haha.

Whoo hoo, Gold's just called and said my cube is ready for pick-up. Yahoo :exclaim: :smilecol:

Time to start saving the pennies for all the little extras I'll need, but it won't be much! Time to start building a stand :D

G1GY
04-01-2006, 05:46 AM
Yeah, when I basted.. the crud stuck to the glass as well haha.

Whoo hoo, Gold's just called and said my cube is ready for pick-up. Yahoo :exclaim: :smilecol:

Time to start saving the pennies for all the little extras I'll need, but it won't be much! Time to start building a stand :D

I was there buying some stuff and seen your new cube.

Nice! :)

Twisted-1
04-01-2006, 04:44 PM
That cyano sucks. I had an outbreak of it about a year ago. (tried the chemical stuff also.) Kept coming back. It was rather easy to fix for me. I didn't have a protien skimmer yet. once I got the skimmer I cleaned as much of it as I could and it didn't fight back. I see it says you have a skimmer but if anyone is reading this who has this problem and no skimmer. It helped alot to pick one up.

OCDP
04-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks Gary, heh.. I think I am going to go grab it today.

In regards to cyano and skimmers. I do run an AquaC Remora. It skims very nicely and I always keep it on the wettest setting. I think I have lots of algae INSIDE the skimmer that I can't remove... and the water keeps passing through it. How would one go about fixing this? (ie: cleaning inside the skimmer, to remove all pest algae?)

Beverly
04-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Remora User's Manual...

http://www.proteinskimmer.com/Remora.pdf

OCDP
04-01-2006, 08:25 PM
thanks Bev,

unfortunately it doesn't say how to clean INSIDE the actual body of the skimmer. Oh well..

Ruth
04-02-2006, 05:42 AM
Bottle brush is what what I use. I have found them in Canadian Tire and even the grocery store. They are usually either by the baby bottles or kitchen gadgets.

OCDP
04-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks Ruth