PDA

View Full Version : GSP not opening

deep6er
03-31-2006, 01:00 AM
Just wondering if anyone has an idea why my 2 colonies of GSP have not opened for about a week?

Xtasia
03-31-2006, 01:16 AM
These corals will often react to changes in water parameters by ceasing to open or not opening at all.
Might be chemical warfare..
Might just need to be closed for a little bit...
Might be light.
Might be upset over being move.

How long have they been closed?

From Wetwebmedia:
<many causes for extended polyp retraction on Star Polyp. Common causes,
lack of string random turbulent flow or too much linear flow, diatom algae
or like nuisance coating the stolon mat (scrub off with a toothbrush and
don't be shy about it), sudden change in light or salinity (bulb change,
carbon change after long period without which cause sudden increase in
water clarity in tank <yellow to clear water>, some say excess iodine
supplements, perching fishes (new Hawkfish to the tank or like species
without swim bladder, OK... now I'm stretching <VBG>. Water flow and
Lighting changes really are most common. Best regards, Anthony>

Xtasia
03-31-2006, 01:17 AM
Duh a week.

ok look at this..

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/polypbehfaqs.htm

Beverly
03-31-2006, 01:34 AM
Can you tell us more about your tank, such as size, water movement, lighting, water quality and water chemistry parameters? Did you change anything in the tank lately? Add new fish, or anything at all?

Gads, I wish my GSPs would close for awhile, or at least stop spreading like wildfire!

While the following video features xenia, there are lots of shots of our GSPs. They get quite a bit of flow and are under rather cr*ppy PC lighting....

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/v-120g-xenia-fe-06.wmv

deep6er
03-31-2006, 03:57 AM
Wow nice video Bev. After looking at your GSP I think it is going to be my water flow.

Tank specs

33g
lighting 62w t5
3 powerheads at a combined gph of 500
salinity 1.024
ca 450 mg/l
NO3 5 mg/l
NO2 0.1 mg/l
ammonia 0
kh 115

everything in my tank has been doing great. But for the last week or so I have been leaving 1 pump off durring the day. So im thinking maybe they are not getting the flow they need. I have had these GSP for at least 6 months and they have never been closed this long..

Well im going to turn the 3rd powerhead on and direct it at the GPS and see what happens.

Thanks all for your help.

Bob I
03-31-2006, 04:11 AM
I would not consider it unusual. I have had colonies of GSP's stay closed for weeks on end.:mrgreen:

sumpfinfishe
03-31-2006, 05:09 AM
I can't begin to count how many times this question has been posted.

Green Star Polyps will normally close regularly for short periods of time, one to two weeks they do this in order to shed the waxy buildup and debris that collects on there mat surface. It's a perfectly normal event in most cases with this type of polyp as with many gorgonians.

That being said, these polyps do prefer medium to high flow as it helps keep the base of the coral clean and healthy.

Beverly
03-31-2006, 02:31 PM
Wow nice video Bev. After looking at your GSP I think it is going to be my water flow.

Well im going to turn the 3rd powerhead on and direct it at the GPS and see what happens.

It's better to not point powerheads directly at the GSPs, or other corals for that matter. Instead, point the powerhead at the glass so the GSPs get indirect flow rather than direct. Direct flow will probably cause them to stay closed.

deep6er
03-31-2006, 02:53 PM
k I have some more flow in them now . Its not directly on them, but they are getting more flow. And as for what sumpfinfishe said, they do apear to have a sort of waxxy stuff on them. so maybe they are sheding. I guess I will just wait and see.

Thanks again.

OCDP
03-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Just to add my own experience....

This is normal.. so don't feel as if the coral is doomed. GSP's are natorious for doing this. Just give them some time ! :)

Cheers,

Chin_Lee
03-31-2006, 03:47 PM
those things are bullet proof so i wouldn't be too worried about them. I've some on rocks that has been "cooking" in a pitch black tub for 5-6 months and they are still alive :twised: (yes i'm trying to get rid of them)
ps - keep them under control if you can.