PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Fast

NanoReef
03-30-2006, 05:53 PM
i woke up this morning and noticed that me manderin goby was sitting in the front corner of the tank gasping. He doesnt have a lot of color and my rainfordi goby is doing the same. everything else in the tank is doing good exept a patch of GSP. big deal. i did the tests and everything checks out EXEPT PH. its 7.8 would this make my gobys do this??? PLease help FAST

muck
03-30-2006, 05:56 PM
How long has the tank been setup?
Is this your 120G?

Scuba Steve
03-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Massive swing in ph is not good at all. What do you have in your tank right now? Coral wise, is is bb?

NanoReef
03-30-2006, 06:06 PM
I have a clam, zoo's, mushrooms, gsp... It has about a 3 inch sand bed and it's a 20 gallon tank. It's been up for a little over a year and i've never had problems with it before.

naesco
03-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Stick an air bubbler in the tank to the bottom to aid oxygen.
Use a charcoal filter to 'clean' the water.

NanoReef
04-03-2006, 01:13 AM
well, i put a bubbler in the tank and got Seachem Marine Buffer...... My PH is now 8.3 and the manderin is doing great. thanks for all the help

Nate
04-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Hey,

I will go out on a limb here, and take a guess that there is a protein coating on the top of your water. Usually in smaller tanks, that do not have an overflow you end up with a coating on the top of your water that looks like oil. Take a look, I would be willing to bet money that that was at least part of the problem.

What happens is the protein prevents any oxygen exchange. That is more than likely why the bubbler is helping. I would think that it would be a worthwhile investment to buy a skimmer (if you dont have one) and a surface skimmer (the make them for aquaclear, fluval and ehiems). What this will do is get the protein back into the water, where you can get it out through skimming or h2o changes. The other option is to use your gravel vac in reverse and surface skim the protein off.

Of course if this is not the problem, sorry for blabbing...but good luck anyways.

NAte

OCDP
04-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Hey Nate,

Do you have a link to the products for the surface skimmer with AquaClears? I've never seen or heard of this. I'd be interested in looking into one.

Quagmire
04-03-2006, 05:07 PM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/filters.php?product_ID=hg-fzskim

OCDP
04-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Thank you sir but that's for Fluvals. I was wondering about AquaClears.

Nate
04-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Same thing...just different attachments....its made by hagen either way, so you can get it anywhere...even petland haha

Jason McK
04-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Great Call Nate,

Low O2 is the night killer!

J

Hey,

I will go out on a limb here, and take a guess that there is a protein coating on the top of your water. Usually in smaller tanks, that do not have an overflow you end up with a coating on the top of your water that looks like oil. Take a look, I would be willing to bet money that that was at least part of the problem.

What happens is the protein prevents any oxygen exchange. That is more than likely why the bubbler is helping. I would think that it would be a worthwhile investment to buy a skimmer (if you dont have one) and a surface skimmer (the make them for aquaclear, fluval and ehiems). What this will do is get the protein back into the water, where you can get it out through skimming or h2o changes. The other option is to use your gravel vac in reverse and surface skim the protein off.

Of course if this is not the problem, sorry for blabbing...but good luck anyways.

NAte