PDA

View Full Version : Smoking vs Reef tank..

prosnow
03-30-2006, 07:20 AM
was just wondering if anyone knows if smoking had any affects on a reef tank..prob a stupid question, but I thought I would throw it out there anyways

rayyue
03-30-2006, 08:52 AM
i keep smokeing in my fish room for whole night for over 3 years, all of my coral and fish seems ok, so i would say don't worry.

Bartman
03-30-2006, 09:47 AM
I thought I read somewhere that smoking, hairsprays, perfumes (sprayed), cleaners and any other airborne particulate were to be avoided around reef tanks.

Ruth
03-30-2006, 11:08 AM
All of those things are probably harmful to more that just our aquariums. I smoke in my house and my tanks are in just about every room and while I have not really noticed anything I am sure that both by tanks and myself would be healthier if I didn't.

Beverly
03-30-2006, 12:06 PM
We never smoke indoors, even on the coldest winter days or hottest summer days. It's bad enough to smoke, imo. We don't want that smell and second hand smoke lingering around us and the other living creatures in our home.

Tangman
03-30-2006, 12:47 PM
We don't smoke in our house either, but it must affect the PH in a tank , as I know when We have large family gathering s the CO2 in the house goes up and the PH in the tank goes down , so wouldn't cig. smoke do the same thing . Not to mention the other harmful chemicals

Beverly
03-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Cigarette smoke releases carbon monoxide, not CO2.

For a more complete list of tobacco ingredients....

http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/whatsinit.htm

Good subject. Makes me want to quit again.

saltaddict
03-30-2006, 02:48 PM
If your reef tank fish are smoking you should try to get them to quit. :wink:
maybe drop a few pieces of nicorette in.