PDA

View Full Version : Help Help

Aquaholic
03-30-2006, 01:52 AM
what bleeds purple??? it was either my anenome or sea hare???

the whole tank ios purple now

Ruth
03-30-2006, 01:56 AM
Sea Hare - mine once got stuck on my green carpet anemone and there was purple coming out of him like crazy.

Aquaholic
03-30-2006, 02:05 AM
well the sea hare is fine now. So its a defensive ink then? wont hurt my stuff? the anenome seems to be eating it now, any harm for the carpet anenome?

Ruth
03-30-2006, 02:29 AM
I got mine out right away as fortunately I happened to be sitting right beside the tank when he did it. The Sea Hare lived but he went into my sump for safekeeping. Reminds me I want to put him back in the display soon as I have a bit of algea growing in there. No harm that I could see to my tank or inhabitants but not sure about the toxicity. Like I say I got it right away before the anemone could get a good hold.

Beverly
03-30-2006, 02:31 AM
If there's a chance that the purple stuff is toxic, run carbon for a day, then change it and run the new stuff for the next day, then get rid of it. Also, do as big a water change as possible asap.

Aquaholic
03-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Well firstly my sea hare i think is ok, maybe just a little frightened. My anenome spit out the ink that he had consumed and shrunk to the size of a lime, but this morning he is full and vibrant again. I did a large water change and the protine skimmer was working extra hard, and now the water is crystal clear again. The purple stuff doesnt seem toxic but my anenome sure didnt like it.

Thanks for the quick anwsers everyone.

* maybe there should be a warning that sea hares ink when scared or distresed at the stores (just my opinion)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-30-2006, 04:44 PM
I think the ink is harmless. It's supposedly released to confuse a predator.

BTW, seahares & powerheads (especially Seios) are bad combo.

Beermaster
03-30-2006, 05:40 PM
* maybe there should be a warning that sea hares ink when scared or distresed at the stores (just my opinion)

That is what research is for :mrgreen: