PDA

View Full Version : Protecting the carpet

Bartman
03-30-2006, 12:31 AM
I'm just in the process of moving my tank into my living room, which is carpeted. I have an AGA 75G with AGA stand. Just wondering what others have done to protect their carpets from any small water leaks? I'd like to avoid any mildew,etc. ;) I was thinking of spreading a plastic sheet under the stand and trimming around the edges.

Ruth
03-30-2006, 01:18 AM
You can usually buy a hard plastic "runner" at most flooring stores. Quite often used on stairs and other high traffic hallways etc. I use it under my skimmer just in case I have a leak. It comes in rolls and they will just cut off how much you need.

Johnny Reefer
03-30-2006, 01:19 AM
I did nothing to protect the carpet.
IMHO, putting down plastic sheeting would increase your chances of mould and mildew. If water got under the plastic sheet it would stay around longer and give koodies a chance to grow. I think you want your carpet to be capable of "breathing" so the water can evaporate.

Cheers:smile:,

BMW Rider
03-30-2006, 01:27 AM
Easy, don't spill water. :lol:

Well maybe not that easy. But, you can minimize the risk with carefull setup and good plumbing. I use a piece of carpet runner laid out in front of the tank when I'm servicing to catch the little drips.

Bartman
03-30-2006, 07:07 PM
I did nothing to protect the carpet.
IMHO, putting down plastic sheeting would increase your chances of mould and mildew. If water got under the plastic sheet it would stay around longer and give koodies a chance to grow. I think you want your carpet to be capable of "breathing" so the water can evaporate.

Cheers:smile:,

I was thinking of having the plastic larger than the base of the stand so that any water that got through the stand would only sit on the plastic and evaporate without affecting the carpet. I also thought that the weight of the tank/stand would keep water from out side the stand from getting underneath the plastic. Does that make sense?

Bartman
04-06-2006, 06:40 AM
Any last thoughts from anyone? Hasn't anybody got a tank on carpet? I'm pretty confident with my plumbing but I am just thinking about small spills, etc.

fishmanty
04-06-2006, 07:09 AM
If you cut plastic around rhe outside of the tank, IMO, its gonna look ugly. Plus, when water gets split on it, it will rot your stand instead of your carpet, and thus still making a mess.

I have my 90gallon on the carpet, and as long as im careful, its all good.

Next time I set up a tank, it will be on cement or tile however, to avoid any chance of problems.

Beverly
04-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Our tanks are on ceramic tiles. We use towels on the floor whenever we work around in the tanks.

Bartman
04-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info. Does anyone else have a tank on carpet?

muck
04-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Yep. I do.
I would never put any plastic under the tank. If you do have a spill and water gets under there you are in bigger trouble.. :eek:
I do what Bev does as well and have towels on the floor while working on the tank.

Bartman
04-06-2006, 08:33 PM
I appreciate the feedback. No plastic it is, then.