PDA

View Full Version : add to the "i've seen it all" list

Invigor
03-29-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm sure a lot of people already know about this..but I just about fell over when I read this:

Can I wash my car on the street?

Under the Drainage Bylaw PDF File (37KB), you may use only water to clean your car. If you are washing your car on the street, you must not use any kind of soap or anything other than water, and your car must not be overly dirty. The Drainage Bylaw states that only water may enter the storm sewers.
What is the fine for washing my car with soap on the street?

The minimum fine for disobeying this section of the drainage bylaw is $500.
Can I use biodegradable soap to wash my car on the street?

No. Soaps and detergents are prohibited substances under the Drainage Bylaw. Only potable water can be used to wash vehicles.

source: http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Animal+and+Bylaw+Services/Frequently+Asked+Questions/Bylaw+Questions/Sewers+and+Drainage.htm

is this something normal for large cities? I just couldn't believe it!

digital-audiophile
03-29-2006, 09:35 PM
I was kind of ****ed when Calgary started doing this a few years back. I usually just go to a car wash anyways but there is something enjoyable about washing your vehicle in a driveway on a hot summer day :)

I wouldn't imagine this gets enforced to harshly, the only real way to get busted is if you have a jerk of a neighbour that rats you out.

midgetwaiter
03-29-2006, 09:47 PM
No the bylaw people are looking for this now. THe problem is the phosphate that comes from the soap, you don't want it in hte rivers for the same reason you don't want it in your reef tank.

You can get in big trouble for putting anything but potable water into a storm drain.

SJSobczyk
03-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Bye bye Mr Clean Auto Dry Car wash. It has been a good year of memories.

I agree with the cleaning the car in a hot summer day, its something you just cant replace.

Steve

Invigor
03-29-2006, 10:32 PM
it sure is nice, cause you can take 2 hours to do it if you like..making sure EVERY nook and cranny is clean...I always feel like I'm in a mad race against time when I goto the carwash, then I get out, find out I missed a spot and get all upset. lol

Beverly
03-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Environmentally, this bylaw makes perfect sense for the reasons midgetwaiter states.

On the other hand, what about all the salt our municipalities put on our snow-covered streets when the snow melts and the salty water goes down the storm drains? That can't be good for our rivers :neutral:

Pan
03-30-2006, 10:16 PM
washing your car is a waste of water anyways....are you really that vain you need a sparkly car :)

Invigor
03-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Yes, I am that vain. I enjoy it when people mention to me that my car looks great.

StirCrazy
03-30-2006, 11:08 PM
washing your car is a waste of water anyways....are you really that vain you need a sparkly car :)

what about just washing it so you don't get your pants dirty climbing in?:redface:
Steve

dirtyreefer
03-30-2006, 11:14 PM
I guess I should stop dumping my antifreeze down the storm drains then eh?

kidding! :D

G1GY
03-31-2006, 12:11 AM
All winter long I just go to the touchless drive through car wash to wash the truck. In the summer I wash on the driveway with SOAPY water. (I don't wash on the street.) :razz:

I'm also vain and enjoy a sparkly clean truck. :)

Cap'n
03-31-2006, 02:30 AM

Reduces drag thereby increasing fuel effeciency, so a clean car is actually good for the environment.

Pan
03-31-2006, 09:23 AM
what about just washing it so you don't get your pants dirty climbing in?:redface:
Steve

stop wearing bell-bottoms

StirCrazy
03-31-2006, 12:22 PM
stop wearing bell-bottoms

Listen, I can't aford to go out and buy 8 new pair of pants just bescause tree huggers want me to stop washing my truck :mrgreen:

Steve

digital-audiophile
03-31-2006, 02:25 PM
I drive a Hummer.. let's see the tree huggers come get me ;)

Beverly
03-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Geez, you guys all sound like such rednecks :razz: The so-called tree huggers are probably going to end us saving all our butts, and the butts of our children's children, because of our ingrained and thoughtless habits of mis-using, over-using and abusing this beautiful world we live in.

A clean car will last longer, especially if the dirt on it contains corrosive salt from winter driving. And of course, who likes to drive a dirty car? Not me. When my car is clean, it feels so much better to drive it. And I think the care feels happier too :wink:

Guess we're lucky to have a wash bay in our parkade. All the soap used goes in to the waste water system, which is then sent to the water treatment plant before being dumped into the river.

Gizmo
03-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Its good to be in Edmonton, There is no such bylaw. And if there were, too bad I'm moving to Spruce Grove :D

Beermaster
03-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Its good to be in Edmonton, There is no such bylaw. And if there were, too bad I'm moving to Spruce Grove :D

Oh gawd help us! :MrGreen:

golfbomber
04-03-2006, 04:32 AM
I would rather go to the car wash and live in calgary then live back in edmonton!

G1GY
04-03-2006, 11:42 PM
I drive a Hummer.. let's see the tree huggers come get me ;)

Maybe a personalized plate would be in order?

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/6071/hummer5dh.png

allincuddy
04-04-2006, 01:27 AM
There is also a by-law in Calgary, that you can not hang cloths out to dry, as it is an eye sore for others.
You also can not have a fire pit, unless it isfor the sole purpose of cooking, but they do sell ceramic hot dogs that look like the real thing and fool the firemen when the come to put it out.
Just a tid-bit I thought I would add.
And I love hummers.(hummina hummina hummina)
Mark

Invigor
04-04-2006, 01:48 AM
There is also a by-law in Calgary, that you can not hang cloths out to dry, as it is an eye sore for others.
Mark

wow...send em the power bill I guess.